MSE News: Tesco alters 'price check' guarantee to close loophole

Options

Comments

• mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure MSE-ers can be applauded for exploiting an offer and now having it adjusted so genuine customers lose out. Although Tesco claim the £20 limit won't affect most people.

Yes, some credit should be given for teaching them a lesson for such arrogant marketing but a line needs to be drawn somewhere I guess.

What might be of use is if a decent list was publish of what (and when and how much) was found cheaper in ASDA. That ways consumers will be a bit better informed.
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Why is it necessary to use these gimmicks anyway. If Tesco want to be cheaper than Asda surely all they need to do is log on to the Asda website, check their prices and price accordingly!

Because it offered a genuine chance for them to pricematch ASDA on everything? Even though they and we know most customers wont check pricing.

Checking prices against ASDA on a live basis would be ridiculous unless they had somesort of access to ASDAs pricing.

Although its not allowed they would both be better off just sharing prices and charging the same!
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, MSEers kill something else by exploiting it, just like the disappearance of the R&R policy.

Nice one :T *rolleyes*
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mo786uk wrote: »
    Not sure MSE-ers can be applauded for exploiting an offer and now having it adjusted so genuine customers lose out. Although Tesco claim the £20 limit won't affect most people.

Yes, some credit should be given for teaching them a lesson for such arrogant marketing but a line needs to be drawn somewhere I guess.

What might be of use is if a decent list was publish of what (and when and how much) was found cheaper in ASDA. That ways consumers will be a bit better informed.

Tesco have done their very best to make sure payments are few and far between, so even though I have not benefited from the price check, I don't hold anything against those who used it to their advantage.

Tesco are being played at their own game imo, and I believe only those who were playing this system have now lost out on the big amounts as every day shoppers will rarely get a payment, let alone a big amount.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • BonandDom
    BonandDom Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    MyUtopia wrote: »
    What if we'd been on message before the media got involved?

-Tesco said it was cheaper than ASDA and was so confident of it, that it offered to double any difference on a basket of shopping.
    -This was shown to be ridiculous by Tesco customers (some whom happened to be part of the forum) who found items that were 521% (I'm looking at you Nivea body lotion) more expensive in Tesco than ASDA.
    - If you are so confident that a basket of shopping will be cheaper in your store, how can you 'cry fowl' at customers when they show you that you are as much as 521% more expensive than your competitor? Shouldn't Tesco, as the person making the claim to be cheaper, be lowering their prices to back their claim?

Would we have got a different response?

Thoughts?

My thoughts - and I may get shouted down here- however....

I shop at Tescos as its the nearest supermarket (next one is 10 miles away in a busy town and no individual retailers in our cr*p privately owned town centre) and am happy with the quality.

I shop for what I need (and sometimes for treats:o), on each occasion since the DTD offer has started I have registered my receipts and have not yet recived a voucher, which tells me that for "my basket of shopping" Tesco's is cheaper for me.

I am all for money saving and exploiting Tesco's folly aka DTD and will not knock anyone for doing so.

Thoughts?
    Light travels faster than sound - that's why you can see someone who looks bright until they open their mouth.
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is the thing Tesco advertised that they would be cheaper for a basket of shopping, not cheaper on every item.

I just don't think they thought it through fully.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    Good on tesco, a greedy few spoiled it for thousands of others.

I shop at Tesco but didnt even look at the offer as i'm happy with the price I pay for something or I dont buy it. I dont like Asda so would have no idea what their pricing is like anyway to compare it.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lip_Stick wrote: »
    Tesco have done their very best to make sure payments are few and far between, so even though I have not benefited from the price check, I don't hold anything against those who used it to their advantage.

Tesco are being played at their own game imo, and I believe only those who were playing this system have now lost out on the big amounts as every day shoppers will rarely get a payment, let alone a big amount.

Its their own fault for their excessive greed anyway.

I can barely afford my nornal shop, and I shop around so why should people wanting to greedily make extra cash take advantage of it which affects genuine people like me.

I have no problem with some things but people were doing it to massive excess.
  • m00head
    m00head Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    mo786uk wrote: »

Try
    http://pricecheck.logicalinternetsolutions.com/
    or
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk
  • RiaMac_2
    RiaMac_2 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Wonder if the person who thought of this latest gimmick has had their a*se kicked for this fiasco, or will they be congratulated and handsomely rewarded for making a mess of things a la the bankers? :think:
    Ria :dance:

All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
    Charles M. Schulz
    Wins since January 2014 Naked Wines - 6 bottles, Good Reads - Book
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family