Price of a bag of coal?

Options

Comments

• ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    i use fergusson as well.... the most expensive merchant
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • welda
    welda Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    ihateyes wrote: »
    i use fergusson as well.... the most expensive merchant

Not much in it between Fergs and other merchants, this is what I found around my neck of the woods, plus, to pick up is a short drive for me.

If there are any other suppliers I should check out, please do share please?

Thanks and regards..............
  • highrisklowreturn
    Options
    How are you getting your fires up to speed before you coal them, out of interest?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How are you getting your fires up to speed before you coal them, out of interest?

Just using kindling

Anthracite is a pig to get burning which is why I have suggested to you to try hi lites or such like
  • highrisklowreturn
    Options
    Hmm have got it burning the past two days but using a lot of cut up wood - maybe about 8 pieces - as sticks wouldn't do. This does get it going but you need to add the coal in short bursts, before really throwing it in in shovel fulls. Also, my other problem was I was not burning a lot of fuel completely and restarting the fire on top of a lot of half-burnt anthracite, which was not only blocking the airflow but also I expect sucking in a lot of air which should have been going to the wood or new coal. I wasn't also doing the grate enough to clear out the crap blocking it up and as I only got a companion set maybe 6 days ago I couldn't poke out the unburnt coal round the edges, so I think I've got a hang of it now.

But thanks anyway. I will however try some phurnacite then just burn a mix of burnglow and esse A. I like the Burnglow but I think it burns through quickly. I don't want to close up the airvent either as I'm afraid I'll end up with half burnt coal again. Besides, when the Winter kicks in I'll want it to burn to the max.
  • suki1964
    Options
    You get more heat by controlling the flame. Having a " roaring " fire means heat up the chimney. You need a small flame over completely glowing coals. Once the coals are glowing red - turn the stove down until you have a low flame

Anthracite does leave you with a pan full of clinkers to dispose of :(
  • welda
    Options
    Wee heads up since my last post, which included price from Fergs.

Crosswires during my first enquiry on cost, I can't buy a 50kg bag with myself collecting, only 25kg bag, which works out at just under twenty quid for two. Reason for public only able to purchase 25kg bags is down H&S apparantly? I'm not allowed to lift 50kg myself, but delivery guy is, beggers belief!!

However, I can purchase 50kg bag and have delivered for same cost per bag, no brainer eh!!

I,m not knocking the merchant at all, H&S is nessessary, but one should allowed to judge what is safe to lift, my thughts only.

:beer:
  • suki1964
    Options
    welda wrote: »

I,m not knocking the merchant at all, H&S is nessessary, but one should allowed to judge what is safe to lift, my thughts only.

Indeed. I judged I werent fit enough to even manage a 25kg bag and I like to keep my coalman employed :money:
  • welda
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Indeed. I judged I werent fit enough to even manage a 25kg bag and I like to keep my coalman employed :money:

I don't really think it is an issue if you buy and collect, or have delivered, as long as local merchant are competitive, I'll support them with my cash, delivered, or non delivered basis!

• highrisklowreturn
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    You get more heat by controlling the flame. Having a " roaring " fire means heat up the chimney. You need a small flame over completely glowing coals. Once the coals are glowing red - turn the stove down until you have a low flame

Anthracite does leave you with a pan full of clinkers to dispose of :(

It doesn't if you leave the air vent fully open from the start of the burn.

Can you not take the half burn coal out in the morning then relight with it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure