PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weetabix Brownies

Options

Comments

• anniewoo
    anniewoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    I've finally got around to making these and they were absolutely delicious,very quick and easy to make.

Unlike some other posters on here,I do like Weetabix as a cereal and I always have a box in the cupboard,so I can now make these without having to go out and buy special ingredients.

I can see them becoming a firm favourite.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some Oatibix in a fit of healthy eating and they were minging, so I thought I'd give this recipe a try as a way of using them up. Following the tips, I used only three Oatibix and a large egg so it wouldn't be too dry.

Unfortunately I could still taste the Oatibix :( so they weren't as nice as my normal brownie recipe. Still, the menfolk seemed to like them and I managed to force a couple down ;)

Maybe I'll try them with more chocolate and some boozy raisins next time, then no-one will notice if I accidentally forget the Oatibix altogether :p
  • kay41_2
    kay41_2 Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    have made these several times now and have made a few adjustments to the original recipe posted on here. Yesterday I used 3 weetabix instead of four and crushed them up really small in my liquidiser. Then I soaked 2 oz of raisins in a slug of brandy (microwaving them made the raisins absorb the liquid more quickly) and added these to the dry mixture.

I then added 2 small eggs. The variations are then:

3 weetabix not 4
    2oz of raisins soaked in brandy as well as 100g of chocolate
    2 eggs not 1

These came out the best ever - they were very moist and didn't fully set until I put them in the fridge. I am taking them into work tomorrow to test them out (along with my resignation letter!)

Also have tried white chocolate in the past and that is really delicious as well.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ive used white chocolate before as well - they are very yummy!!!!
  • skintlass
    skintlass Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made these today to take into work. Used the recipe as posted i.e. 4 weetabix etc. Used butter instead of marg as I had it in the fridge but that was the only difference. I put it into and 8.5" by 8.5" pyrex disk (wonder if this was my problem) cooked for 15 mins at 160deg (gas oven but has degrees not mark 1-7 :confused: ) and left for 5 mins to cook down. DIsaster struck when I turned it out to cut into pieces as it split through the middle (depthwise) and ended up in a mess on the plate. Where did I go wrong - was it using a pyrex dish to cook it in instead of a tin. Help please as I want to try again on Tuesday.mess does taste quite nice tho :o
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.:beer:
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    It may be that you spread it too thinly. I up the recipe by one-third of everything, using 2 eggs, and I use a tin about that size (or maybe slightly smaller). Also I only mark it out after 5 mins or so and then leave it to harden before cutting it and separating. Butter wont have made any difference. I would certainly try again because it is delicious. Good luck.

Edit: I always use a tin and I line it with parchment.
  • sheng719
    sheng719 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    skintlass wrote:
    Made these today to take into work. Used the recipe as posted i.e. 4 weetabix etc. Used butter instead of marg as I had it in the fridge but that was the only difference. I put it into and 8.5" by 8.5" pyrex disk (wonder if this was my problem) cooked for 15 mins at 160deg (gas oven but has degrees not mark 1-7 :confused: ) and left for 5 mins to cook down. DIsaster struck when I turned it out to cut into pieces as it split through the middle (depthwise) and ended up in a mess on the plate. Where did I go wrong - was it using a pyrex dish to cook it in instead of a tin. Help please as I want to try again on Tuesday.mess does taste quite nice tho :o
    I tried this recipe last december, and found that the mixture or batter was a bit dry. did you think that the mixture was dry also? The batter might be dry that's why it went into a mess as you have described it. Try adding a little bit of milk just to put some moisture into the batter. mine turned out okay after doing thi. jist make sure that it is not so wet that it is very thin and you might not be able to bake it and will just turn into a mush. good luck!:p
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2012 #1502:)

Debt free by 2014, hopefully earlier...:T
  • skintlass
    skintlass Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers, I made these again last night and they turned out better in the tin but they are a bit dry - I think I'll add the extra quantities and the bit of milk suggested next time. I do agree that the mixture seemed a tad dry.
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.:beer:
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    I find that upping the recipe by one-third and adding two eggs instead of one makes it less dry. Also, don't skimp on the butter. I sometimes add white milky buttons for a bit of variety - scrummy!
  • livalot
    livalot Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    I have made these yummy brownies many times.... I have always simply added either an extra egg to the recipe mixture (really works) or some sunflower oil..... I wanted the mixture to look "shiny" but not "wet" if you see what I mean :rotfl: so that it would spread easily into the baking pan. Did not need to add anything else. I also placed some greased baking paper in the bottom of my pan, I mark them when they come out of oven ready for cutting, use the paper to lift the brownies out (so they do not break) and cut them after about the brownies have cooled.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport