Nationwide: does anyone logon with the card reader?

Options

Comments

• mkaibear
    mkaibear Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    As the Nationwide online banking has used the card reader logon for a little while now, I was wondering if anyone actually uses it to login?

I always click the alternative option and just use my passwords.

Does anyone choose to use the card reader? If yes, is there a reason why?

Security theory states that there are three kinds of identification - something you know, something you have, and something you are.

(respectively, password, key, biometrics).

Each of these requires a different way of circumventing. Something you know can be nabbed by sufficiently clever software on your computer - keyloggers eventually can catch all of your answers, for example.

Something you have can be stolen.

Something you are is harder to fake but it can be done.

This is why most "secure" systems use at least two of these - for example you have a card and PIN for payment details.

If you have the use of a card reader to generate a one-time code this is *significantly* more secure than just having passwords - however complex these passwords may be.

Of course this is mostly at a theoretical level as to be honest if someone decides they want your info you're banjaxed - there's no way to stop a sufficiently determined thief - however it does discourage casual identity theft.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.
  • JAHJAHJAH
    Options
    Not while I have useable and functioning brain cells. The card reader is an unnecessary faff. The fact that nationwide told us it would be in use by December 2010 shows customers it was not without problems. I will continue to use memorable data and consider changing provider if card reader becomes compulsory.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    I signed in using the card reader as I was going to make a payment to one of my accounts with another bank using an existing arrangement I had used before. I was surprised that I had to reuse the card reader to verify the transaction.
    I suppose that my card reader log on must have been a shock to their system.
    J_B.
  • europa
    europa Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had accounts with Santander, Lloyds, Nationwide, Barclays and HBOS. Nationwide used to be my main account, but i switched to Lloyds because of this card reader crap. Barclays even requires its card reader to log on!

IMHO Lloyds and Halifax have the best internet banking. Lloyds calls you with a verification code when you set up a new payee. Would only be a pain if i'm abroad as i would have to pay for the call!

I also have a Norwegian account that sends me an access code via sms each time i log in. Very secure and very easy!
  • europa
    europa Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In fact, i have just started a FB page (Say no to internet banking card readers). Feel free to 'like' and contribute to the campaign!
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2011 at 8:13PM
    Options
    I never use it. I don't have a major objection to it like many appear to, but it's far quicker to just type 1 word and 3 digits than it is to find the card reader, find the card, go through the menus, type in a PIN then copy across the access code.

I don't understand why anyone would prefer to do it that way! (Unless they've forgotten their details - or as mentioned, they need to use it later on anyway).
  • msrisotto
    msrisotto Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I have used the card reader since I was sent it. I didn't realise there was the option to opt out. As it happens, my account has been fraudulently used several times and I am closing my account with nationwide.
  • frozen_wastes
    Options
    I've used my card reader for logging on. Frankly I doubt that card readers will be scrapped.

Just two days ago my virus scanner intercepted a particular malicious piece of software that was put on my machine when I visited a legitimate website that had been hacked. The name of the code is called "Spy Eye". Look it up on Google!

Now then, nasty pieces of software like this collect and pass on info you enter into online forms, so allowing someone else access to your bank account. However these pieces of code probably aren't clever enough to trick their way onto your online bank when you use a card reader. In theory the 8 digit code that your card reader gives you can't be used again.

Now if only we could use these card readers for online purchases instead of "Verified by Visa".... I've forgotten that password more times than I care to remember...
    8.9kw solar.  12 panels ESE,  16 panels SSW.  JA solar 320watt smart panels.   Solar Edge 8KW HD wave inverter.  Located Aberdeenshire
  • drdmt
    drdmt Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Barclays and Nationwide cardreaders are interchangable

If the card reader doubled as a calculator - how hard would that be

If implementation was good for example barclays - login requires car reader, transactions to from account do not require authentication once logged in

Nationwide: even transferring £2.50 from one nationwide account to your other on the screen savings account requires authorisation, bad nationwide, bad!

They are a good idea since you have a constantly changing variable: the code whereas username/secret answer things tend to stay the same
  • Bad_Ash
    Bad_Ash Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Olipro wrote: »
    yes, I always use it, but that's mainly because I have a cardreader built into my computer.

How do you do that, can you download software to use with a 3rd party reader? I was just this morning thinking it would be handy if I could use the built-in reader on my laptop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure