Single mother, 2 children, what can they get?

Options

Comments

• xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Sue I know your feeling about being tarred with a brush I get tarred with a similar brush saying that I ran away etc, the reality is very different, is from a bad time in my life and hurts me dearly.

I was willing to support the child etc, but we won't go in to that. and I whole heartedly agree that the moral is to have one family - my circumstances are very unusual and wish they were different and don't really want to go into it, besides its not relevant here anyway

My comments regarding all this isn't a "across the board" comparison.

Sure in your situation you may have had 60k per annum in the household but where was the money being spent? I mean it really depends on what the outcome is, you say you can always rent, but surely having a mortgage and all those years you spent on rent would have set you up for a much better position now when the divorce came in? No one has to buy, but buying gives financial security.

as for Lauzellen, please tell me what 1 yr old child needs £95 a week and on what exactly?

You can't associate a couple vs a single, its one for one, I am a human who likes to have his own money to treat him self and my partner the same, no doubt my ex is exactly the same, your logic doesn't add up also my household income isn't 52k or 60k or any of that. If you cared to read the discussion properly you would have realised that was a comparison in 10-15 years time when I would like to have a child with my partner and the circumstances that present themselves.

I haven't argued about having to pay towards the child whether she is working or not - I know what she's doing and she's blatantly exploiting the system.

Her sister was the same and while she didn't have pots of cash available she had security that she would always be housed and often spent the money on complete junk, whether it was fags, booze or trips out.

Sure being a single mother I am not saying they have pots of cash lying about the house, but I am comparing it to a situation where woman can quiet happily have a child with some one, then claim CSA and benefits can have a secure living knowing they will always be looked after.

I am just comparing it to the fact that many workers in this country and busting their guts to make ends meet while their are woman like this essentially exploiting the country.

Like I keep on trying to say, this isn't a fact for every one, I just feel that there isn't the same level of support for those working.

Still I don't know why the government hasn't introduced a 3 months on benefits, still not working then forced to do some lame job, whether that's sweeping the streets, supporting small businesses with manual labour etc. people need to earn their keep - its a harsh world out there and we all know that but the UK makes it so easy for people to doss around.

By the way before some one gets smart and starts causing massive discussions regarding my comment above it is only aimed at people who actually don't have kids and who can work and don't have a disability. We all know there are a lot of them out there.

I have friends who grew up on benefits and there families used them to better them selves and kept them in education now the children are adults and making decent money and the parents are no longer tenants of the council.

you see, I am not some big ugly bad guy who is moaning about paying the CSA, I was purely interested in how much she was getting as she seems to be "splashing" the cash and has been for 3 years, sure she doesn't have a car and will never own her own house if she carries on. But she is genuinely laughing away about never having to work and having a roof over her head.

While I'll spend the next 40-50 years working my hardest to provide a decent living for my family!
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd not thought to deeply about this question until I saw some of the above replies. An earlier estimate stated £200 ish per week for one parent and two kids. Add in council tax and rent. For my area that would be something in the region of 23K per year (£1900 ish per month). I haven't allowed for any other kind of benefit.
    I have just checked my wages slip. I earn a reasonable income, but had failed to appreciate how many tax payers are required to support 1 x single parent family with two children.If numbers of
    families in that situation continue to increase, I cannot see how the situation is sustainable
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    xxtokerxx wrote: »
    Thanks for understanding my original question - to be honest I don't know why I am here trying to defend my self against others when I wanted simple answers.
    Simple enough for you?
    https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • xxtokerxx
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »

You do realise that was posted by Jowo right at the beginning of this discussion????

So yeah, simple enough but people started challenging and questioning so in the interest of finding out more information on the matter I was responding unfortunately the majority of the questions/statement towards me were in a negative light and as such felt I needed to "justify" my comments.
  • laisbojar83
    laisbojar83 Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    To the OP, I trully understand your point of view. And I also agree it is unfair hard working people end up in a far worse situation than those who DONT WANT to work. I am not talking about those who CANT work for whatever reason, as long as it is genuine. Be it a disability or disabled children. The benefits are there to support those in need.
    Unfortunately, more often than not there are a lot of people who choose not to work because it is convenient to them. I know someone, a single parent, with 2 children, both of them in school full-time, and still cant be bothered to go to work. Still, she is off to Ibiza in a few weeks. She lives in a lovely 3 bedroom house, paid by the council. She pays no council tax and gets her lovely share of benefits. Why would she go to work then? Like others said, making the most of opportunities presented to her. My husband and I work full-time and we have 2 children - one attends school full-time, the younger just turned 3. I go to work when my husband comes home (work until midnight) and we live in a 2 bedroom flat because we cant afford to rent a house. The system needs to change, period. If the system doesnt change, the younger generations will just copy what their parents do now. I just wonder when will the government realise that!
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is very easy to earn a good salary and then see it all going out with expenses...
    By the time I've paid the mortgage, council tax, loan for the car (which I wouldn't have if I didn't have to travel to work and take kids to childcare before), petrol (ditto), car insurance (ditto), childcare costs, that's already over £1500 that I have to part with that I wouldn't if I was a single mum not working. Add to this school uniforms, school trips, school lunches, meds, again, all the things that single mothers get help with, it very quickly mounts up to not much more disposable income at all at the end of the month, especially when you don't get any maintenance coming in (as I do).
  • laisbojar83
    laisbojar83 Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    It is very easy to earn a good salary and then see it all going out with expenses...
    By the time I've paid the mortgage, council tax, loan for the car (which I wouldn't have if I didn't have to travel to work and take kids to childcare before), petrol (ditto), car insurance (ditto), childcare costs, that's already over £1500 that I have to part with that I wouldn't if I was a single mum not working. Add to this school uniforms, school trips, school lunches, meds, again, all the things that single mothers get help with, it very quickly mounts up to not much more disposable income at all at the end of the month, especially when you don't get any maintenance coming in (as I do).

That is very true FBaby.
    The system should encourage people to go out and look for work, not the other way around. Wouldnt you agree?
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    xxtokerxx wrote: »
    You do realise that was posted by Jowo right at the beginning of this discussion????

So yeah, simple enough but people started challenging and questioning so in the interest of finding out more information on the matter I was responding unfortunately the majority of the questions/statement towards me were in a negative light and as such felt I needed to "justify" my comments.
    Honestly couldn't be bothered re reading the thread, so you had a simple answer to your question at the start of this "discussion" where you could have read the link and left the questions far easier, no?

Or did you actually want the "discussion" to go with it.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2011 at 6:01PM
    Options
    violin.gif

Playing especially to all those fathers who pay a small minority of their wages to their abandoned partners so that their children can have new shoes.
  • xxtokerxx
    Options
    Jowo that was blatantly insulting and not needed, either you have had issues with men and babies - that's not our problem you've clearly voiced your opinion and been antagonistic through out this discussion which hasn't help answer the initial question. And as it goes I pay the money which equates to around £220-£250 depending on the month which is on-top of what she gets through benefits and judging by your figures from earlier a single mother can live if sensible with their money on benefits alone.

I find it funny how the quality of their life, despite the fact they made the choice to have the child often against the partners agreement, sometimes even tricked (I am not talking personally here before you jump on another band wagon!) yet they expect to have a life with disposable cash - go out and work, work from home, work online, do the neighbours washing, do whatever. there are a lot of woman who do this every year and do not claim CSA and good for them. Just because you have a child you shouldn't expect financing from the father who has no say in the matter about the child being born in the first place.

if as a female you choose to deceive a male / trick a male into getting pregnant then you should be prepared to be clever with your money, if that's the life you choose to opt for £200 per week is MORE than enough for a single mother to survive off. Sure it won't be a great living, but why should it? it's a damn sight better than those poor African ladies who get a handful of rice a day to feed their family.

DX2 you continue to comment yet cannot be bothered to read the thread, what's the point in a discussion if you just come in voicing your opinions without understanding the situation in hand? Also, I initially wanted a simple answer, you come to a discussion board to get multiple views of opinion or experiences. In this instance I was interested in hearing from members what they were aware of - I am sure there are more benefits that haven't even been mentioned in this thread. So had you read even just the last post rather than just skimming it you too would have realised that is why I keep trying to justify myself to understand more, this has since gone off on a tangent and personally feel like I should at least voice my opinion.

Its becoming clear from other members that they too share some of my opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure