🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Real Life MMD: Should I send the wallpaper back?

Options

Comments

• spursliz
    Options
    They have sent you goods that you didn't order. OK, but it's clearly a mistake so you should contact them, tell them, and ask them to pick them up within 30 days. If they don't the goods are yours.
  • a_nifty_fifty
    Options
    I would keep it for a while, it isn't your duty to contact them and inform them of their mistake. Why should you go out of your way to spend your money on phone calls and your time and effort for somebody else's mistake. I'm not saying flog it on, that would be wrong and could result in serious consequences. Store it for a while, it's a huge mistake on their behalf so I'm pretty certain they'll notice their loss eventually and be in contact with you soon. Admit to it and ask for compensation for having to store their goods. if they dont get in contact with you then sell it on ebay. Pure profit which ever way it goes. I think perhaps profiting from somebody's mistake is morally wrong but I don't see it as theft.
  • Riceicle
    Options
    Inform them of the over delivery I had some wine delivered to my address in error and when I informed the wine company they told me to keep it!! Honesty does pay
  • spendy
    spendy Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, I would contact them, but that's because I would always be waiting for that invoice or that call saying I owed money, or had to return the goods.

Just this weekend Asda delivered a pack of rice to me which I hadn't ordered and wasn't charged for ... and yes, I ran out after the delivery driver and gave it back. I knew they wouldn't question it, but I felt better for doing it.

On a side note though, I'll never forget in incident in Sainsburys ... I paid with a £10 and got change for a £20. I'd noticed it was too much at the till, but decided to double check. I went straight back in ... waited until the queue was quiet so I could tell the cashier of her mistake without her getting into trouble. This is the reponse I got "oh whatever, well I wouldn't have brought this back ... and besides I'm off shift now, so makes no difference to me mate". That was the only time I'd wish I hadn't have been so honest :P
  • lyegreen
    Options
    Tell them before someone loses their job!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Lee wrote: »
    I ordered 5 rolls of wallpaper online, £14 each, from a well known store, who informed me it was a 'direct from manufacturer' item. However, the manufacturer has delivered 45 rolls - £630 worth! - by mistake. As far as the store and manufacturer are concerned, my order is completed. Both invoices have the same customer number on them, and obviously my details too. The dilemma is, do I keep quiet, use what I need, and flog the rest? Or come clean and send the extra 40 rolls back?

Nick_Daws wrote: »
    What 40 rolls of wallpaper mate. Sit on it for a while.

It's £560 worth of goods that the OP isn't entitled to. Not a minor matter.
  • Marco12452
    Options
    The decision is the companies. You should inform them and see what they suggest, at no cost to yourself of course.
  • DavidMorgan_2
    Options
    I think they have 7 years to come back to you to settle up.
    Can you live with that worry for 7 years of being found guilty of theft, however, the circumstances may mitigate!
  • MediaWeasel
    Options
    It's bad enough being short of money. Why would anyone want to inflict it on anyone else by stealing a company's goods? No-brainer to me - phone them up and let them know.

Fate has a nasty habit of coming back and biting you on the rear end when you give it the two-fingered salute ... just sayin' .. :)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    MSE_Lee wrote: »

The dilemma is, do I keep quiet, use what I need, and flog the rest? Or come clean and send the extra 40 rolls back?

As others have said, there is no dilemma - you cannot keep or sell the extra. You don't have to send it back and incur expense to put right the mistake, but you must tell the company that they have made the mistake, and give them the opportunity to collect it or have it collected.

A_nifty_fifty said
    Why should you go out of your way to spend your money on phone calls and your time and effort for somebody else's mistake.

I don't think that you need do more than send a single e-mail or letter - I don't think that can reasonably see that as 'going out of your way'. Youi are not under an obligation to chase them up if they don't respond, but a single e-mail or letter is not much to ask! (Of course, you can phone, but I personally would prefer to send an e-mail as it leave's a paper-trail, and you don't get stuck on hold :)

Sitting on it and hoping they notice leaves you in a very awkward position if they do remember, and assume that as you didn't tell anyone you never had had any intention of giving it back.
    It might even amount to theft-by-finding, which can give rise to criminal charges for theft...
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport