PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• laineyc_2
    Options
    Xspender, let us know what the value feta is like, please.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • Winged_one
    Options
    I am doing OK this week. I managed to not get anything extra during the week, and made lunches to bring in for DH and I (as well as DD's school lunch daily) for 4 days. We used up sausages from freezer one night, chicken pieces another, ham pieces another and I had gotten beef pieces in shop last weekend that I made a stew with last night (there is one portion left in fridge for the weekend) - I used a small bag each of peas and borlotti beans that I had frozen from the garden last summer, a HG onion, 2 carrots (bought) and a bottle of pale ale, along with fresh garden herbs, to make what was a surprisingly tasty stew!

I still have at least 9 dinners-worth of meat (pork pieces, chicken pieces, sausages and prawns, mince beef), 2 family-sized portions of spag bol, a bag of meatballs, and various bits of veg (and lots of fruit like raspberries and blackberries) to use up in freezer. So I will buy meat for a family dinner over the weekend (might do a roast, or might just do a chop or something), and possibly fish for tomorrow.

I have a few stores things to get though - dried mango, washing powder, cereal, lots of fruit & veg, smoothies, yoghurts, 1 pack turkey for sambos. So I am hoping to keep it low, but expect to spend at least €70. (I might add a bottle of red wine too, as we have none and I kinda fancy a glass this weekend).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Adding on spends of about another £50 mainly in the Co op, the market & Home Bargains. I am really not very focused this month & I can't remember if I added on a receipt Wednesday to my signature so have it added it now just in case I hadn't.

Well done to everyone who is doing well.

Spiggle - glad you are not too bad.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Winged_one
    Options
    AlwaysHappy, don't feel bad - you have things for next month which means you should spend less then instead. I am woeful at sticking to my monthly targets at times, but I also aim to keep my annual spend under control and see if, overall, I manage to eat well, and try to save some money.

There are months where I'll find LOADS of whoopsies and have freezer space, or there will be loads of veg in the garden to use, so I save plenty those months. And then there are months when I seem to spend all around me, stock all cupboards (like the months I go to NI for a day), have loads of visitors to feed, and also want to eat loads of junk - so go way over!

Once there is an overall balance, that is the important part.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First spend of February to-day.....€80.83, nearly fainted when the total came up as €130, until I remembered that there were lots on non-GC items in there, so feeling a bit happier now...might make it this month, although will have most of family here around end of month for a long weekend.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spent a lot more than I expected to in Sainsbugs today. Decided to get a large piece of gammon to freeze for Sunday lunch next month as it was half price and everyone loves ham in cola warm and cold. Also got some meat for stewing - shin beef and brisket. Anyway have a ton in to eat so next week shouldn't need much at all apart from fruit and veg and milk.

Checked have enough fruit to last this week and milk too and juice cartons for work lunches.

Think I'll bake some scones for this afternoon and to freeze alongside the lovely marmalade cake and start some rhubarb for jam making

Anyway £37.03 later - off to change my siggy
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    friday is school snack money day so thats £4 for me, i am determined i will come in under/on budget :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • dom300186
    Options
    i want to join this challenge if i could?

my weekly shop budget is £50 aweek and im starting this week as i have hit financial trouble.

my shopping this week came to £31.63, this includes my steak from the butcher for valentines day two pieces of nice bit of rump steak for only £5 you cant grumble. so this week i think i have done very well and saved £11.37 which has gone back in the pot for next week.
    Trying to make big cut backs!!!

:TExpecting DS2 EDD 28/March/2012:T

:bdaycake:
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all

Just a quick update of the spends - did MrA shop this morning, spent £86.27, do need to get some hand carved ham and another meat to take to grandad's for tea tomorrow. I have bought everything else, we're going to have salad and hot new potatoes. Think he's now needing things to do and people around him, luckily hubby can go quite regularly and we go as a family whenever we can, but for 85 year old man on his own for the first time he's coping very well. Have spent a bit more on salad bits than I would just for us but nice to treat him now and then.

Can't believe how much food items are going up each week, my jar of coffee has gone up 10p since last week!

Have a good weekend everyone, stay safe and well.

nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    86p on milk today.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing