PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,634 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If the jars haven't been opened you don't need to use them up immediately. They'll keep for ages. I've used up jars that I've had in the cupboard for a couple of years with no problems - it'll be a bit dry on the top but fine once you give it a stir.

Denise
  • the_cake
    the_cake Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    I made some lovely muffins with mine: half a jar went into my standard mix (makes 12 smallish one), also added a tsp. mixed spice. They were some of my more successful ones ... demolished in a trice by OH!
  • the_cake
    the_cake Posts: 668 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2013 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Add half a jar and 1 tsp mixed spice to standard muffin mix ... yummy!
    Oops, sorry, double post!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I make little bakewell tarts for OH's lunch box, I put mincement in the bottom instead of jam, he said they're delicious.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Mollymoonlight
    Options
    I used some of mine up on Monday in a mincemeat cake search google or this is the link to the one that I made.

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/food-feeding-555/recipes-557/37289-mincemeat-cake.html

You could also mix with other fruit like apple/pear for pies/ crumble or strudel

:T Going to do this at the weekend. I started making fat balls for the birds with it at the weekend.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just seen mention of strudel, it reminded me of a recipe I saw somewhere, using filo pastry, that would work well with mincemeat.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • skintmum2012
    Options
    I used some of mine up on Monday in a mincemeat cake search google or this is the link to the one that I made.

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/food-feeding-555/recipes-557/37289-mincemeat-cake.html

You could also mix with other fruit like apple/pear for pies/ crumble or strudel

I have this cooking in the oven now it smelled yummy while I was making it :)
    Thank you everyone for your ideas I never knew you could do so much with Mince meat :D I still have a little Bit left so shall try that in Muffins thank you ever so much everyone :D
    February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6
    ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    a spoon or two down the core of a baked apple is nice and also a bit stirred into flapjaks also with apple in a pie or turnovers
    onwards and upwards
  • pennysweet
    Options
    Hi

I found this recipe on a thread on this site not so long ago, but I can't seem to find it again.......anyway I tried it and its lovely and very very easy to make:

8oz S/R wholewheat flour
    3oz butter
    3oz demerara sugar
    1 egg
    4oz mincemeat
    4tbsp milk
    white sugar for sprinkling.

Gas 6, 8inch lined baking tin

Put flour in bowl, add butter and rub in
    Add sugar, egg, mincemeat and enough milk to make soft dough
    put in tin and sprinkle on sugar
    bake for approx 20mins (took longer than 20mins for me but I used a loaf tin and my ovens not great!!).:)
  • mi_jardin
    mi_jardin Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    sounds odd, but its nice in porridge!
    a personal favourite though is in the middle of a baked apple.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport