PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Veggie burgers

Options

Comments

• Muppet81
    Muppet81 Posts: 951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like to make up a bit of stuffing and press it into the underside of a large field mushroom. Rub a little oil onto curved side.
    Top with a bit of grated cheddar cheese (or crumled stilton or a bit of goats cheese). Bake or grill or as I do, cook in Remoska over some potatoe dish for 15 -20 mins.
    If I have anything like spinach lurking around I would wilt a bit down and put that under the stuffing.
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
  • 98jdougl
    98jdougl Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone got any recipes for veggie burgers? Pref one using various beans (exc. baked beans- yuk!)
    Cheers
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    98jdougl wrote: »
    Anyone got any recipes for veggie burgers? Pref one using various beans (exc. baked beans- yuk!)
    Cheers

I use this one from my mate Gingham :beer: You can use any combination of beans, and I vary the veg to what I have/is in season :D

I'll add this to the existing veggie burger thread to keep ideas together ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • 98jdougl
    Options
    cheers for that penny, tried a search for veggie burgers but never saw this one (doh)
  • 98jdougl
    Options
    Saw these burgers in asda (can't do linky's well- frozen food then vegetarian pack of 4 for £1.58)
    Anyone know how to make these from scratch?
  • horseykitty
    Options
    I like these - I would think they are fairly easy to make at home. Following the principle of 'beef' burgers - fry chopped onion/galic, mash up a few types of beans: kidney, pinto, butter - whatever you like or have in the cupboard. Add some chilli powder/ sauce - mix all together and fry. Shape into round, flatten to obtain burger shape then roll/cover in crushed tortilla chips - et voila! home made spicy bean and nacho burgers! Pop in the oven at 180 degrees for about 15 mins. I made that sound so easy off the top of my head that I might make these for supper tonight. Would be nice served with salsa, soured cream and a green salad.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi 98jdougl,

There are some recipes for bean burgers on this thread that may help:

Veggie burgers

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • poolygal
    poolygal Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm trying to be particularly frugal this month, so I can splash out a little on some festive fun. In my cupboards I have a pack of stuffing mix and loads of tinned kidney, mung, flageolet etc beans. I have this idea in my head that it might be possible to make veggie burger type things making up the stuffing mix, adding some eg kidney beans and frying. Anybody tried this? Or think of any good reasons why it would or wouldn't work?

Thanks.
  • Ambersuccubus
    Ambersuccubus Posts: 132 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2009 at 4:31PM
    Options
    Not sure about stuffing (although adding a little probably wouldn't hurt), but kidney bean burgers are dead easy to make. I make up my own based roughly on 2 different recipes I've encountered, so forgive lack of measurements, but take heart that precision is not needed, and it's dead easy to amend.

1 can kidney beans; 1-2 handfuls porridge oats and/or wheatgerm (I tend to use both); liquid seasoning (ketchup, soy sauce etc depanding on your personal taste); herbs, smoked paprika etc to taste

Mush your kidney beans thoroughly - a fork will do this well, but takes ages, a tatty masher is more fun, but a rougher texture.

Add your "bulker" (oats, wheatgerm...breadcrumbs would also do, I guess)
    and liquids stirring in thoroughly with a large spoon (the back's useful for mushing bits in). Add any other seasonings whilst mixing so they get thoroughly incorporated. You're aiming for a "formable" texture - neither crumbly nor damp.

Shape into burgers/sausages, pressing well together, and shallow fry on a medium heat until obviously browned on all sides.

Stick with salad and a bun and nom, nom, nom....
  • poolygal
    Options
    That recipe sounds great, thanks! I'll definitely be trying it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure