PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Veggie burgers

Options

Comments

• lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    this probaly won't help much but I've definately seen a recipe on here somewhere for veggie burgers made with red lentils and stuffing mix. I would substitute the stuffing for the 'bulker' in the recipe above
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi poolygal,

There's an earlier thread with lots of veggie burger recipes (including bean burgers) that may help so I'll add your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    I make a burger for my daughter as follows. Drain one can kidney beans and mash with a fork - it needn't be particularly smooth. Add a generous portion of breadcrumbs, a beaten egg, and a handful of grated cheese, cheddar is best but I have done it with gruyere. The recipe uses chilli powder as well but she doesn't like spicy food. And that's it. Fry until nice and golden in appropriate oil.

She says it is the best burger she's ever had.

Edited to add: this actually makes several burgers, of course!
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm starting to explore a few veggie recipes and I was hoping someone has a good recipe for beanburgers!! Please can you also tell me if it involves dried bean then which ones do you need to soak before cooking with. Thank you!!
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    This ones easy

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 spring onions, chopped small
    1/2 tsp cumin
    3/4 cup diced fresh mushrooms
    1 15 ounce can pinto, borlotti or navy beans
    1 tsp parsley
    salt and pepper to taste
    oil for frying
    Preparation:
    Sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the green onions, cumin and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked. Set aside.
    Mash the beans with a fork or a potato masher, or process in a food processor until well mashed.

Add the mushrooms to the beans and add parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.

Shape the mixture into burgers. Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil and cook each burger until the veggie burgers are done, about 3 minutes on each side.

you can use any canned beans without sauce, but the coulur is weird with red kidney beans.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 June 2010 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Hi Dandy Candy

Here is a recipe from Gingham Ribbon :)

there are quite a few threads which should help you try different options. Always use soaked and pre prepared beans, or ones straight from the can. To be safe I soak all dried beans - and follow the istruction in the packet. This is a useful post from Swan :D . Personally, I prep them in batches - so I would overnight soak a whole bag of chickpeas, bring to the boil and simmer (having followed the instructions), and once cooled, i freeze them in a bag ready to use. They can be defrosted by dunking in kettle water for two mins, or can be thrown straight into dishes. I thought dried beans were such a faff and hassle, but now I've done it a couple of times in batches it's perfectly easy.:j (and so much cheaper than tins) :money:

Recipes for hoummous and falafel (chickpea burgers)

Veggie burgers

Dried beans vs tinned

Fave recipe using dried beans/peas/lentils -
    to give you inspiration :D

Lentil burgers

The complete vegetarian collection
    also has a load of veggie meals all in one place, and i have even categorised them like the geek that I am :rotfl:

Chickpeas is also a great thread . Chickpeas are my new bessie mate ! Chickpea curry, roasted chickpeas, going to try falafel soon, thrown into chilli/spag bols, couscous salad, anywhere I can get away with it really!

Hope that helps and I'll merge this with the veggie burger thread later, once you have more input

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks adouglasmhor those ingredients sound yummy - I will deffo try that recipe!
    Wow Zippy so many amazing links!! Tyvm :)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You're ever so welcome. Let us know what you try and how you get on! Oh look at all those typos! he he, must fix!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hubbies had a hard time finding a nice veggie burger from anywhere except nandos. They tend to taste bland and mushy elsewhere.
    I'd love to make him a nice one. Does anyone have a recipe that's nice and spicy and tried and tested, I've never made burgers at all before.
    I know most people would say mushrooms but he doesn't like them ( me on the other hand..:D).
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Allrecipes tends to list quite a few recipes and has a 5 star rating system by other users, so it can help spot the better recipes
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/searchresults.aspx?text=veggie%20burger

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2386/best-veggie-burger.aspx apparently has a good texture and flavour

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1670/homemade-veggie-burgers.aspx apparently even went down well with the meat-eaters of the party

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2466/vegetarian-nut-burgers.aspx seem to have quite a few good reviews
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure