Support Each Other In Looking For Work?

Options

Comments

• claireizadiamond
    Options
    Newbie here, just finished my degree in Education (total waste of time really- I think due to a number of issues I will be lucky to get a 2.1!!!) So I am looking for jobs, since the 17th March I have applied for 43 jobs.....I have heard back from.....wait for it.........3 jobs!! All rejections :( Learning my lesson now to tailor my CV specific to each job. Cover letters though......well frankly I just want to put, "Please just give me the job.........I promise you will not regret it"

I give up hoping, I wake up every morning at 7.30 check my emails, log out then log back in again just to be sure.......I stand with my phone by the window in hope that an extra bar of signal will boost the potential of a prospective employer phoning, then I wait till 10.30 and log onto direct gov......type in every postcode that is near me......apply for every job I feel I could do.......or even sometimes couldn't but with the view of learning how to. Then I log onto my local council, check their jobs, then I log onto Reed....check their jobs. Then back to direct gov.....go through the same system till about 12 when I log out of my emails and log back in (just to be sure) I repeat this whole system until 5pm.

Then I have my spreadsheet with jobs I have applied for, when I applied, when the closing date is, when I should contact them and then the outcome of the application. I think I may be a little obsessed and it is taking over my life!Ah well, sorry to rant on.....I live in hope. Let's hope someone gets some good news soon (by the way I feel as though I should finally comment as I have been following this thread for around 2/3 weeks now....and I feel a little bit like a creepy stalker..just watching you all :cool:)

nimbo wrote: »
    Well was so bored I popped into my sisters house to look for jobs - I can't wait for my computer to be fixed....

And there was 2. Manager and assistant manager of gamestation I've just spent an age trying ringer my cv to fit as my last retail experience was about 6 yard ago, and I'm not really qualified.

It was clearly a waste if time as there are bound to be better qualified people out there. But it was making me feel pants to be doing nothing.

I have applied for the assistant manager job.....didn't see the manager one, so not sure if you live near me.....I am in Blackpool :o
    :A
  • AngelX_2
    AngelX_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    The recruiter at the interview I went to today said there was more vacancies in other locations. However the commute to those locations would be too long. I drive but I live in the city and the traffic during rush hour is awful. Trains are the only other option but then I have to factor in walking distance, how many times I need to change trains and more walking distance to the company. It would take at least 2 hours, probably more because trains can be unreliable because of signal failures, constant delays etc.
  • icelandic_queen
    Options
    I posted a few weeks ago about the part-time job I had managed to get and the problem with the hours. I have hung in for 3 weeks in the hope that my employer and the person I clean for can get something sorted but it doesn"t look like it! I've applied for a few others in the meantime. Today I was advised that my former employer is re-hiring but when I checked the advert I don"t meet the criteria despite doing the same job for 15 years!!! I'm getting really fed up with being treated like a muppet!! The only good thing is that the actual people I work with now are lovely, the person in charge made me a lovely cup of tea with choccy biccies this morning!!
  • lexilex
    lexilex Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    livermum wrote: »
    Well a lot has happened on here since I left this morning. Welcome to all the newbies!

I decided against going to the interview that I was supposed to have today. I decided that everyone was right and 1 1/2 hours travelling time each way was just too much. So back to the search!

I don't blame you, think I would have done the same!

Well, it's the end of another day of job hunting. This is turning out to be the worst week since I started looking. And there was us thinking things would get better come April. How wrong we were!
  • EndlessStruggle
    Options
    I have 3 application forms lined up to do tomorrow and Friday. Yippee. I only do a few hours of job seeking a day as have to fit it around voluntary work, I do 3-5 hours every day and then you just end up seeing the same jobs over and over again if you do too much.
  • November5th
    November5th Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Hit all my marks in the interview, I can be proud of myself today (I was a !!!!!cat). May well not get the job because of a missing skill set, but that's really OK. Dress rehearsal.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2011 at 7:05PM
    Options
    [QUOTE=
    I have applied for the assistant manager job.....didn't see the manager one, so not sure if you live near me.....I am in Blackpool :o[/QUOTE]

I'm in Barnsley.....

Wonder if they had the same job ad..... Did you get the impression that staff had been stealing from there????? It was a tone that kind of implied that procedures hadn't been followed in the past.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • nimbo
    Options
    Ooooooh one of the dragons is on the one show BBC 1 talking about employment.....

Might be worth a look

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
  • claireizadiamond
    Options
    nimbo wrote: »
    I'm in Barnsley.....

Wonder if they had the same job ad..... Did you get the impression that staff had been stealing from there????? It was a tone that kind of implied that procedures hadn't been followed in the past.

There was a lot of suggestions really, one of the easiest applications I have come across, and I like that they said they will respond within 48 hours....so no playing the waiting game :j
    :A
  • nimbo
    Options
    There was a lot of suggestions really, one of the easiest applications I have come across, and I like that they said they will respond within 48 hours....so no playing the waiting game :j

They didn't say that, which hopefully means good things for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport