Add your feedback on gadget Recycler 02

Options

Comments

• stuart210
    Options
    Have done three different phones now, even a blackberry with minor scratches. All were paid at full quoted price and was paid by BACS fairly promptly! Best service I have experienced, better than CeX that's for sure!
  • jimtur
    jimtur Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Used for the first time the other week.On the up side they quoted a good price, they paid quickly and emailed promptly to say they had the phone and that they were sending payment.

On the down side they reduced the quoted price by around 10% saying visible cosmetic damage, other than some very very minor scratches on the screen the phone was in excellent condition so a bit unfair and not an issue that has occurred with other recyclers.

Overall as they quoted the best price even with the reduction it was still better than the next best price so would use again.
  • motorsi
    Options
    I didn't rate the service from O2 recycle. They reduced the price for my phone by 10% stating that there was cosmetic damage. The phone was had been replaced on insurance through my contract and was used for only a couple of weeks in a protective case. I carefully checked it before sending and couldn't see even tiny scuffs on the back. The phone was well protected when posted. I felt O2 had reduced the price for there own ends rather than a reflection of the phones condition. The phone wasn't worth all that much so i accepted the reduced price however I wasn't pleased with the service and wouldn't use them again. I had previously used Tesco recycle who i found fine so would go back to them next time even if they are offering a lower price.
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've sent 2 Samsung S2's to them one in May and one in September. Both had the usual wear and tear scratches. The one in May they paid the full offer price on. The second one they reduced the price due to cosmetic damage although to me it was in better condition than the first as the first had a scratch across the camera. The reason I opted to use then the first time was due to them not reducing the price for damage (according to the site) and o2 seemed a decent company to send your phone too. Although the wording around not reducing prices for cosmetic damage has now been removed and they grade them.
  • Juststayingafloat
    Juststayingafloat Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2012 at 7:40PM
    Options
    Ugh. Never again.
    Over the course of a month, O2 have sent the postage pack late, which meant the phone arrive there outside the quotation period. They then "discovered" cosmetic damage and reduced the amount even more. There was no damage.
    They eventually stopped ignoring emails and agreed to honour the original quote, but they've sent two payment vouchers, the last one arriving today, 3 weeks after the phone was sent that are below the original quote amount.
    They are slow (so they can claim the phone arrives after the quotation peroid), the ignore emails, they lie about the condition of the phone and the renege on agreed payments.
    Never using them again. Not a chance.
  • chunkychocky
    chunkychocky Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used them a month or so ago. My phone had a scratch across the screen so I expected them to reduce the value by 10% which is what they did. However it took 10 days from when I posted it until they acknowledged receiving it. I was getting worried that it had gone missing in the post. Then even once I had accepted the offer price it took a whole week before the money appeared in my account. Not the slick service I thought they advertise.
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ugh. Never again.
    Over the course of a month, O2 have sent the postage pack late, which meant the phone arrive there outside the quotation period. They then "discovered" cosmetic damage and reduced the amount even more. There was no damage.
    They eventually stopped ignoring emails and agreed to honour the original quote, but they've sent two payment vouchers, the last one arriving today, 3 weeks after the phone was sent that are below the original quote amount.
    They are slow (so they can claim the phone arrives after the quotation peroid), the ignore emails, they lie about the condition of the phone and the renege on agreed payments.
    Never using them again. Not a chance.

On the quotation situation I sent mine back on the 13th day, later in the day I received an email offering to extend the period for another week. Did you not get the same?
  • bobster999
    Options
    A few years ago I took my iPhone 3GS into an O2 shop to get it recycled. The assistant checked it over and gave me a quote for it. I can't remember how much it was but it was the full amount. I signed a receipt to say I agreed to how much I was quoted. They took my phone and then 2 weeks later I ended up with the money on my account.

I can't understand why someone would put their phone in the post for someone to decide how much you will get when you're not there. Do it in store!
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 November 2012 at 10:47PM
    Options
    I took my very good condition (case and screen protector from new) mobile phone into an O2 store last Tuesday to recycle it. I'd been told that this would avoid me having to rely on Royal Mail to look after it using the postal return method. He checked over the phone, didn't mention any damage, or wear & tear that would reduce the valuation and then referred to his computer to give me a price. It was the online price, £88ish. Although he did add that the phone would be evaluated once 'they' had it.

I mentioned that O2's website gave the option of Amazon vouchers for an increased payment, £95ish, but he said they couldn't match that in-store and I should go with the online method. So I took the phone away.

I posted it Wednesday using the freepost label provided, paying an extra 95p to send it recorded. This doesn't increase the insurance, but does provide proof that the phone has arrived.

This morning I got an email from O2 receipting delivery of the phone and giving me a revised valuation - they'd reduced it by 10% for cosmetic damage. I have asked for an explanation.

The revised quote is very close, but lower, than the non-Amazon online valuation.

I await their response and haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I can get slightly more from Asda and, as far as I can tell, they don't deduct for minor wear & tear. Any damage to my phone falls firmly under that catagory.

If this was an isolated incident, devaluing by 10%, I could accept it. But it appears to happen far too often for my liking and I can't help but think it's a little earner for them.
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 November 2012 at 9:28PM
    Options
    They replied saying the case and screen were scratched. This is untrue. I told them I didn't accept their valuation and unless they paid me the full amount (in Amazon vouchers, so £95 plus change) I wanted the phone back.

A different agent replied saying they would, as a gesture of good will, pay the full price. He stated the full, non-Amazon voucher, price, £88ish. So I replied accepting their revised offer with the condition that they paid the higher Amazon vouchers price. They agreed.

I am now waiting for the Amazon gift certificate which, I believe, should be emailed to me with 24 hours. We will see...

I think it just proves the point - they will automatically reduce the quoted price by at least 10% quoting 'cosmetic damage', but when pushed, especially if you say you want the phone returned, they will back down and pay up.

However, I have read a few reviews reporting people getting cheques in the post and not the requested Amazon gift certifcate. Therefore getting less ££. They'd better not try that one.

I have a couple of other phones I want to cash-in and I'll be sending them to Asda instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure