Asda - No service: staff gone home!

Options
Arr!:mad:

Just went into my local Asda to pick up a click and collect George order 15 mins before closing time.
Waited at George desk for 5 mins with some other ppl.
No sign of life at the desk so went to find someone. A manager said "sorry the George staff have gone home", in other words, get lost.

I realise it's New year's eve but staff going home before advertised closing time?
Rant over, peeved.
Have sent an email but not holding my breath...
"fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

Comments

• Laura_Scotland
    Options
    Maybe they got to finish earlier so they could get home, as for example, a lot of buses here in Edinburgh are running a Saturday service and finishing earlier? Or maybe they'd been quiet so got to leave early.

It is annoying though if that was the advertised closing time.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I work in retail and do you have any idea how hacked off staff get when 5 mins before closing some one comes in for a browse around and is still pratting about 10 mins after i should have been on my way home !
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    flashnazia wrote: »
    Have sent an email but not holding my breath...
    I'd hope not, it could be tuesday before it even gets read.
  • mulled_wine
    Options
    OK imagine YOU are working NYE until 7pm. Gets to 6:30pm and you've served no-one since 3pm (say) and your floor manager says go home.

Would you stay or would you go?

I've also collected orders from Customer Service in Asda after George all went home.

Depends on your attitude :)

I think, what would I do? Put yourself in the other persons shoes. Makes a lot of things pale into insignificance. HTH xx
  • carlos1973
    carlos1973 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can totally empathise with you, it's not right. I work for Tesco, and have done for over 5 years.

IMO I would return to the store and ask to speak to the section manager or duty manager. I'd explain what time I'd entered the store, it will be on the door camera and also the desk camera, stating that 20 minutes is not leaving it untill the last minute. Before you go think to yourself what you hope to gain / what would make you happy, it's what they should also be thinking. Be reasonable thoughout and remain calm and balanced when speaking to them. The broken record technique works well: Collections can be made until xx o'clock, I was here 20 minutes before that. No signage was displayed informing me otherwise and I wasn't contacted to inform me of a change in time. Just keep repeating it, keep it personal (you can't complain about the other customers, only yourself).

If I can I'd like to make a few points, give some personal opinions.

1: I hate having to tell customers that exchanges can only be done before 10pm, If you can buy it through the night you should be able to return it through the night!
    2: My store is open for a continuous stretch of 138 hours, yet people still come in at 5 minutes to closing time. Quite simply it is the nature of the business. Would a bus driver moan if his bus suddenly fills up at the last stop?
    3: Many staff leave their tills or desks just before closing time so they can clock out at the correct time. It is a staff training/attitude problem, they are clearly not being first for customers.

Hope this helps.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My OH gets this and she doesn't get extra time putting things away she has to do it before closing and then open up any stock customers then request
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    I work in retail and do you have any idea how hacked off staff get when 5 mins before closing some one comes in for a browse around and is still pratting about 10 mins after i should have been on my way home !
  • adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »

Sadly... and its gunna come as a shock here but... its your job! =/

Your paid to help the customer and if they happen to stroll in 5 minutes before you close you gotta wait, everyone suffers it. I've worked in call centres where i've been stuck on the phone for almost an hour after my finishing time. Thats life!
  • Money_User
    Money_User Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2011 at 7:41AM
    Options
    adamc260 wrote: »

Your paid to help the customer and if they happen to stroll in 5 minutes before you close you gotta wait, everyone suffers it. I've worked in call centres where i've been stuck on the phone for almost an hour after my finishing time. Thats life!

It's not life it's your fault!

Why didn't you take it up with your employer that you're spending an hour of your time unpaid? I wouldn't have done it, if you did it's your fault.......not "life" as you put it! So you can't blame others for basically sticking up for fact they don't want to work unpaid when it isn't in their contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    adamc260 wrote: »

Sadly... and it's gunna shock if you work for free it's your fault!!
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Options
    New Year's eve is not a bank holiday
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    personally i always try not to be in businesses in the last half hour or so of their opening hours
    many years as a chef saw customers coming in on closing time
    then taking their time and keeping the staff back hours beyond their finish time
    I wouldnt do that to others
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport