Asda - No service: staff gone home!

Options

Comments

• flashnazia
    flashnazia Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    I think the point it being missed here; I didn't turn up at 6.55, it was around 6.45. There was at least fifteen minutes to closing. I wasn't faffing around, I wanted to pick up my order and get out of there. I had already paid for it, all I needed to do was show my card (to confirm) and get out.

I have worked in retail too and not all customers are asses. If they dilly dally after closing its the store management's problem and they should pay staff accordingly.
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • aheaton46
    aheaton46 Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    m4dh4tter wrote: »
    The very most annoying comment for anyone to make is the
    ' I pay your wages'

Which is why I deliberately didn't say that. I said paying FOR your wages.
    mandi wrote:
    Why is it that people can't plan in advance ? Let's face it most of the large supermarkets are open 27/7 even over Christmas .

It's irrelevant WHY people are there.

If staff are paid till 4 but need 5/10/15 minutes or whatever to finish off at the end of their shift - it is their employer the supermarket at fault, not the customer. Do not blame a customer for coming in when the shop is open and expecting to be able to buy something!

And by all means kick the customers out at closing time.
  • Louisdf
    Louisdf Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shock horror, people on minimum wage fed up and want to go home. Give them a break.
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Louisdf wrote: »
    Shock horror, people on minimum wage fed up and want to go home. Give them a break.

No it isn't shock horror.

If the store opening hours are advertised up to the hour, then the store should deal with their customers up to the hour. If the staff want to stop at five to, then the store needs to tell the customers ( who after all, are actually paying the wages etc, albeit indirectly whatever other people comment about) that the store opening hours are until five to. And then it could go on reducing opening hours ad infinitum.

The whole problem is about customer service, or rather lack of. Whether the staff member is being paid minimum wage or not, they are employed to carry out a task. Disappearing five/ten/fifteen minutes early is not carrying out what they are paid to do.

But on the other hand, any customers dragging their heels at closing time should be directed towards the nearest exit asap.
  • kriss_boy
    kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Options
    flashnazia wrote: »
    But I don't blame the staff. Of course they would be out the door like a shot.
    It's Asda management who should use their brains. Perhaps paying staff until they clock out etc.
    Incidentally, if they are getting minimum wage only, and they have to work an hour unpaid (because of selfish customers - I have seen it from the other side too), it will push them below minimum wage.

Businesses just don't care about customers anymore.

I've half a mind to reject the whole order - I just don't want to go there again to collect it.

Happy new year btw!

I think your being pretty inconsiderate.

It was new years eve for goodness sake- do you really gudge staff getting to nick off 30mins early once a year? Do you really how much carp you have to put with in retail and for peanuts?

Its a nightmare for shops to get customers out before the closing time so I think Id be understanding if for once they had nicked off early instead. I mean 15 minutes before closing on new years eve- come on!
  • twinkle1981_2
    Options
    If a customer came into my work at the very last minute and I was going to have to stay later than my finishing time, then I would have a real problem. And not because I am being deliberately awkward, but because I am a single mum relying on an after school club to look after my son, which closes at a specific time, only half an hour after I finish my work.

If a customer was to keep me back, not only would my son be left hanging about but I would also get charged by the after school club for an extra session. And my son is more important than a customer who is too ignorant to care about staff being kept back.

In my previous job this used to happen all the time, and very rarely did a customer ever apologise for keeping the staff back, although it was fairly obvious that they were keeping us back (music switched off, lights off, till being cashed up etc) - and no we didnt get paid for it.

In saying all this though I understand why the OP was annoyed as coming in to the store 15 mins before closing to pick an order up is not unreasonable.
    'If honour were profitable, every man would be honourable' Thomas More

'I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him.'
  • ChrisEvanson
    Options

I have worked in retail too and not all customers are asses. If they dilly dally after closing its the store management's problem and they should pay staff accordingly.

It's not just about money! If staff finish at 4pm then they finish at 4pm. If they agree to stay after that time then that's another matter completely. I agree with you that you should have had an explanation though and an apology.
    If I had a pound for every pound I'd lost, I'd be confused
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you seriously saying that if a store closes to customers at 4pm then that exact time is when the staff finish?

I somehow doubt that, how the hell is a member of staff supposed to finish at 4 and be out the door at 4?

Surely there is a bit of flexibility built in, as I am sure Mr Tesco/Asda/Morrisons et al weren't born yesterday.
  • Harry_Flashman
    Options
    I work at a wholesalers and we are paid 'til 16.30 when the place closes.

If we are delayed - we only get paid overtime in 15 minute increments (14 minutes = no overtime). I'm only there for the money (I truly hate this job - well, the boss anyway) so if I'm not being paid - I'm gone.
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Arr!:mad:

Just went into my local Asda to pick up a click and collect George order 15 mins before closing time.
    Waited at George desk for 5 mins with some other ppl.
    No sign of life at the desk so went to find someone. A manager said "sorry the George staff have gone home", in other words, get lost.

I realise it's New year's eve but staff going home before advertised closing time?
    Rant over, peeved.
    Have sent an email but not holding my breath...

I went to exchange something at customer services a few weeks ago, it was 5 to 10 pm in a 24 hour Asda. There was a sign on the counter saying they shut at 10pm. The delicatessen was shut too. I will know next time to get there earlier.
    I wasn't too put out, maybe the staff had a bad few days, like me, couldn't get a break all day even after working well over the legal limit, no one to take over and continual stream of customers at the counter, so I asked to leave early because I would have been working about three hours extra for no pay. Got told I couldn't as there was no other staff available but I wouldn't be paid the extra anyway. So I walked out! The customers never got served and I felt bad because my colleague was left, like a mug, alone to do the lot and finish up and shut down, probably stressed right out and I know he hadn't had a break for 13 hours so I felt bad about doing it but he does get paid a lot more than me. I heard it was bedlam. Now I will have to face the music tomorrow:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure