January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.2K views

Replies

• boultdjboultdj Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok,first shop of the year,and it come's to $29.22 with $4.50 of that on fruit on the market.
    Grocery Challenge
    July £350/ £45.03
    2020 club
  • I've written a shopping list for tomorrow and will stick to it stringently. Will see me through to next weekend and hoping it comes to less than £20 for this

Will report back tomorrow with a spend and total
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • pipkin71pipkin71 Forumite
    21.8K posts
    Pernicious wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I popped to the shops today & spent £14.21, leaving me with £18.32 for the rest of the month...suddenly I am beginning to doubt if I can do this challenge!

Wish me luck :rotfl:

Good luck with it, pernicious.

Remember though, if you can't stick to it, don't feel bad, it's just one of those things.

You can then alter February's budget to reflect what you've spent, or see where you can cut down from January's shopping :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pipkin71pipkin71 Forumite
    21.8K posts
    Thanks for the mango cake recipe, Mothership.

I bought all of the fruit mentioned in your recipe, today, so think I will give this a go :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Afternoon all

Been to Aldi and spent £17 - must update siggy

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • MrsGSRMrsGSR Forumite
    1K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi, I just saw how much we spent on food last month and it was £356!:eek:That wasn't including the £50 food vouchers we had:eek:
    So this year I have decided that we are going to spend £40 a week, so £160 a month and have worked out that we will save around £192 a month if we stick to this.

Have told DH that if we haven't got it we don't have it! Plan to put the money in an envelope for each month THEN DH can use £20 to get stuff from his work (frozen food store) and I can use the other £20 to get bits from Sainsburys, any left over money will go in a pot and can be spent on a takeaway or go towards a roast dinner at the end of the month:D
    Squirrelling away in September No 33
    It's not about the money, it's about financial freedom, being in control of it and living in the natural world and not a material world
  • I went to Mr T this afternoon & spent £17.53, I have updated my signature. I only bought 2 things that were not on my list, some Christmas wrapping paper reduced from £2 to 50p & some chicken that was also on offer. I wont need to go again now until Friday at the earliest :)
  • medsdemonmedsdemon Forumite
    761 posts
    well just back from Edinburgh and popped into MrM and spent £16.43 and then MrS because we forgot to buy something so spent £5.89 there. This was mostly a bottle of wine but my theory goes if I have a couple of glasses before I go out I'm unlikely to need many glasses whilst we hang around for 3 hours in a bar waiting for DD at a gig thus in essence saving money !!!
    Hopefully we are now stocked up for the next few days without a visit to a shop for food!! I did buy the sort of bits my DD loves like wraps and vegeburgers and salad so she can make her own tea if she wants. I don't usually shop at Mr M but I did notice it seems alot cheaper than MrS which is our only local supermarket.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Hi All!

Blimey can't believe how big this thread is getting! just taken me 20 mins reading to catch up! Anyhoo just a few spends in the last 2 days

I/Land - Bread £1.35
    Garage - 2Pints Milk £1.10
    A**a - Freezer Bags Pk of 80 - £1.54
    5 x Trays of Sheba -£2.00

Total Spent £5.99

Hope everyone has a g8t weekend x:)
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Rosieben - so glad you are still going to post regularly :T

Small spend of £6.60 this morning. Got 2 nets of satsumas for 50p each, half price, pleased at this as the grand children love them when they come down and we only had about 5 left. Much better for them than sweets.

Picked up some small cheese cakes today but then put them back down again nearly £2 for 3 tiny ones :mad: Have got biscuits in for the base, some mascapone cheese that needs using and plenty of tinned fruit for the top so will make one tomorrow instead :A

I have 3 tubs of mascapone with a use by date of 10th Jan, will use one tomorrow on the cheesecake but can the others be frozen or not?

Cleaned out the fridge this morning and chopped a cabbage up to put into freezer before it went off, however had to throw some dips out as the date was 27th Dec :mad: DS brought them but still thats not the point is it.

Still not eating properly since having swine flu and DH being ill so havent done any meal plans yet. We are just eating what is in and what we feel like. However the fish pie I made yesterday was lovely and have put a small one in the freezer plus there is enough of the bigger one left to do us all another night. I added half a tin of sweetcorn that was opened, a stick of limp celery and also a tin of sliced mushrooms that have been in the cupboard since Noah built the ark :eek::rotfl::rotfl: No ill effects and I felt very pleased with myself - SAD OR WHAT?
    MARCH £62.38/250