PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• have made 5 various sized glass jars of HM marmalade and feeling quite chuffed with myself.

Oranges were a good luck gift from someone at OH work, sugar was in stock and so was the lemon. recipe was delias but took far longer than what she said to get to setting point, down to 2 glass jars left now so need to email me mum to keep saving some more for me.

Just had some on toast and it was yummy wasn't set properly still a bit warm but had to make sure it was ok.:D
  • Added another £33 to my sig which means only £45 until 30th January, which could be a bit tricky but there's still loads in the freezer and storecupboard, so it needs to be a real big effort to keep away from the shops.
  • smiler34
    smiler34 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Adding another £84 to my shopping total, just done another weekly shop. Slightly more this week as my mum and dad are coming over for tea twice this week cause they're having kitchen done, so having to buy a bit more.

Just spent the afternoon making beef and bacon burgers to freeze for Thursday, so I can get ahead. Gonna make some pizza bases tomorrow to freeze.
    Mummy to two beautiful girls and one gorgeous boy.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Emily87
    Emily87 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Did my second weekly shop today, managed to only spend £30.53 as I bought so much last week. So my total now is £112.17/£250. Oh and lidl are doing packs of diced beef for about £1.39, half price of normal. :D
    June Grocery Challenge - £???/£230
    Credit card debt - Start - £10,613 Now - £10613
    Personal loan - Start - £10,116 Now - £10116

DFD - October 2015
    :T

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    I have 3 tubs of mascapone with a use by date of 10th Jan, will use one tomorrow on the cheesecake but can the others be frozen or not?
    yes you can freeze mascarpone, I freeze mine in the tubs ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Probably a really stupid question, but when you freeze things like carrots do you cook them first or after they have defrosted?! I always seem to have carrots left over!
    January grocery challenge- £338.09/£350
    £365 in 365 days- £25
    January NSDs- 9
    Money made on ebay- £16.89
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Shopping days gone to pot with weather :(, so ended up getting a few bits today- spent ~£20 between local butcher and Coop gettting a few things for meal plan.
    Our month ends on Thu and think we still have enough £'s/food to do until first shop of new month (Fri, depending on weather!).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• lotti379
    lotti379 Posts: 787 Forumite
    £84.16 of £200 so far! Had NOTHING in so had to do a big shop yesterday. Fingers crossed for frugality for the rest of the month...
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    I parboil them, then they take less time when you get them out of the freezer!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Thanks for the alert re Lidls - picked up the half-price beef, 4 packs, and with 1 pack frozen part-boned chicken breasts and 2 packs chicken thighs, spent £14.65 - 36 individual portions = 41p animal protein per meal (I'm just cooking for me).

Slow cooker will be in action later on!
    If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spend it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.

-- Brendan Francis

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport