IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Parking - The great debate

Hi guys before anybody starts i havent started this thread with ANY intention of getting into rows or slagging off anyone.

I have read many of these threads of late and participated in a few as some of you may know and there is a definite uproar about PPC's and the private tickets.

This method is clearly in place to prevent unauthorised parking (and yes in some cases it is abused) but people on here are calling for alternate methods.

What would these methods be? As you can see and some of you may know i do operate a PPC so this will maybe hep me become the first in a line of operators to change the ways you people all hate so much

And to clarify if anyone does post anything abusive on here i will ask the mods to remove it i am after civilised conversation and debate not arguements or personal attacks.
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Replies

• Its quite simple. Supermarkets and retail parks can have barriers with a system such as pay to enter/get refund in store, or exit tokens available in the store which are free provided you buy something.
    Work or residential car parks can have a barrier with swipe cards for authorised users, or lockable bollards with keys for authorised users.
    PPCs are not required full stop.
  • ppc_guyppc_guy Forumite
    412 Posts
    Ok and who is funding this national developement of barriers and bollards?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • You have the decency to use this forum to have an honest debate. I will try and answer in this spirit. It makes a change from the sniping of trolls. I still believe that car park owners should pay for your services and collect revenue from those who abuse the parking facilities. Charges should reflect costs incurred but it would be fair to factor in the costs of PPCs patrolling. I hate people who abuse car parks and it is not fair in the car park owner. I would hate to have the wild west of PPCs making silly fines replaced by a free for all with people unable to visit shops because of commuter parking. we have already had this conversation but perhaps others would like to chip in. Anyway, I look forward to a productive debate.
    Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
    412 Posts
    Barry,

Ok so if i continued to operate in the way i do but lowered my ticket value to say £20 would that be seen as a fair charge for the time/effort/loss and so on ? or would this start as ok but then have people moan over time?
    Also hoiw would the landowner generate revnue from the the people who abuse if they dont issue tickets?

P.S Trolls are pointless and do nothing to alleviate the opinions that all PPC's operate in the same manner
  • ppc_guy wrote: »
    Ok and who is funding this national developement of barriers and bollards?

I am sure companies like Tesco could afford it.
    Businesses have to fund their own security measures to prevent theft etc, if they want to prevent unauthorised parking why shouldn't they pay for that as well?
  • PPC guy, you know your operating costs better than I but from a personal point of view I would say that is fair dinkums provided that you are prepared to give a reasonable period of grace and cut people some slack when things go wrong such as lost keys and the other situations that occur when people overstay unintentionally. I have no problem with people having to reimburse for overstays and failing to pay provided that the charge is fair and not punitive. The law allows for reasonable charges to be made not penalties. Car park owners have a right to decide who uses their car parks and if appropriate, get the appropriate revenue from the facility. Hope that helps.
    Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
    412 Posts
    Businesses have to fund their own security measures to prevent theft etc, if they want to prevent unauthorised parking why shouldn't they pay for that as well?
    Simple. The small guy has to have business insurance or there would be issues if the place was ever broke into. The carpark on the other hand doesnt have to have barriers. The cost of a barrier can be a few grand which is money a small guy would not be able to afford and never have any way of recouping. As a result his customers would not be able to park over time and get annoyed thus going elsewhere to shop and eventually causing him to lose custom to a level he has to shut.
  • robredzrobredz Forumite
    1.6K Posts

If Tesco want to fund the bollards and employ a ppc, then Ok, but no clamping, and no excessive charges £20 for wrongful parking in a disabled bay is not unreasonable, BUT remember that if the badge slips off the dash due to a gust of wind and is in the footwell, will it be fair to pursue the badge holder? Now if they don't actually have a badge or abuse it... But blue badges are not enforceable on private land are they?
    412 Posts
    No Blue badges hold no weight on private land but are often used by PPC's to distinguish a valid disabled users vechicle.
    We personally do not ticket any vehicle displaying a blue badge regardless of where it is unless it causes an obstruction in which case we would leave a polite note asking the driver to consider whre they park next time.
    Disabled space misuse is one of my main gripes with the parking industry as i have said before it is mainly 2 groups of people who abuse the bays. (this is my findings and not fact) The young males and the middle aged middle class people with their 4X4's, mercs BMW's and similar.
    Blue badges are weighty enough that it would need to be a hurricane for it to blow off the dash and in which case im sure the bade being on the floor would be the least of the worries.
    As for P+D tickets we have never been able to slam doors or anytihng similar and sucessfully dislodge a ticket from the dash. We even tried physically blowing whilst slamming the door but again all my employees have been clearly instructed to check in the footwells of vehicles.
    Clamping defeats the object of parkign enforcement as it just ties up the space for longer.
  • edited 27 December 2010 at 4:40PM
    peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 December 2010 at 4:40PM
    Surprisingly, I don't have any problems with the principle of a private parking company. A landowner has the right to make a sensible charge for the use of his land and has the right to expect people to pay it. The greater percentage of drivers accept this and are happy to pay. The problem comes when an arrogant ppc decides that a vehicle which is parked, say an inch, over the line deserves to be charged, say, £80. If the charge was for both bays, reflecting his potential loss then we would all be on a different forum discussing nappies etc.
    So you see the problem is at your end. Charge for the losses actually incurred and we would all bellyache but would pay. However I can see this would not work for the ppc as there is no money in it and they would all be out of business.
    If a car is parked in a disabled bay but is not disabled (not sure how you decide this) then put over on the tannoy asking for the owner of car XXX to move his car as its parked wrongly in a disabled bay.
    There's plenty of ways of policing parking reasonably and sensitively without resorting to bullying methods which get all our goats up.

(Losses assumes its a paying car park, per bay, per hour etc.)
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals