VERY Cheap glasses and specs - made to order.

Options

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Took the plunge and ordered from goggles4u.com. Glasses were ordered 9th August and have still not arrived. All e-mails to the company have been ignored and have had no contact from them.

Not happy :mad:
    Here I go again on my own....
  • littlepockets
    Options
    my specs from googles4u took about 4 weeks and they didn't charge my credit card until they were posted
  • Becles
    Options
    My card was charged after I ordered them :confused:
  • littlepockets
    Options
    strange how same company processes orders differently

did you pay by credit card.....maybe you can raise a dispute through them although the amount and the the fact the company is based overseas might make it difficult to get a proper response but I guess no harm in trying.
  • brinky_2
    brinky_2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Keep an eye on the goggles 4u website as they have a live chat option where you can talk 1 to 1 with their staff. Often its live late at night (11 o clock) as apparently its geared up for their american customers.

Surprised you didnt get a reply to your email.

I am told that this is the number for the factoryin pakistan: 0092 3002112579

Please remember this is an international call.

Hope ths helps.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You haven't said yet, was the order actually dispatched? You should have been able to check it's status at ccnow - who they use for payments - via the link in the original order confirmation email.

-
  • Becles
    Options
    It says dispatched on the 14th Aug.

Still not here and still no replies to emails. I haven't telephoned though, as it's expensive to ring international.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Becles wrote:
    It says dispatched on the 14th Aug.

Still not here and still no replies to emails. I haven't telephoned though, as it's expensive to ring international.

Not good if they haven't replied , even if you tend to get a semi automated answer as I have found - or English is not their main language as they come from Pakistan. Although the three orders i have from them all were shipped without 2 days and came OK within about 7-10 days at most.

-

I would notify your credit card company that you haven't received the goods and the company have not replied - you shouldn't have to phone them - attempting by email should be sufficient - otherwise you may spend as much on calls as the glasses would have cost! Not reasonable to expect anyone to do that. Even though the amount is less than £100 they should still query it and arrange a refund eventually.
    -
  • julynne
    julynne Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    hi,
    i've had a look at goggles4u.com and they appear to offer "CR39 Material High Index Lenses with antiglare, UV, and Scratch Free Coating" as a standard, which means all glasses ordered are supposed to have the coatings.

After reading some of the previous 279 posts, it's my understanding that the "antiglare" coating quoted is probably not the "Anti-Reflective"(AR) coating the high-street shops do. Shouldn't this mean that the company should have no excuse for "forgetting" to put on the anti-reflective coating?

Also after doing some research on the net, CR39 is not particularly "high index" - most highstreet opticians offer this as standard.

(1) Can anyone here shed any light on this? I'm a bit worried to go ahead with my order, I know they are relatively cheap but it's still money!

I think there were a couple of posts where ppl complained about the absence of "anti-reflection" coating with other companies as well, including selectspecs.com !! (which from the reviews appears to be one of the better ones)
    Don't really want to look like a nerd --without this anti-reflective coating, glasses do make the wearer look very nerdy.

(2) Does anyone know which company DEFINITELY
    (a) does high index glasses (1.59 or 1.67 index)
    (b) gives the anti-reflective coating?

(3) how is optical4less when it comes to this Anti-reflective coating?

(4) Has anyone been charged any duty/tax by customs when purchasing from the overseas companies? (as in more recently)

(5) The other thing I am nervous about is how reliable are these outfits in terms of following the prescriptions you give them? It's not really worth saving money just to spoil (further) one's eyes forever.

Thanks..
    THANKS!:happylove
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are looking for quality products don't bother with goggles4u.com.

I ordered a pair with glass lenses and they turned up with plastic lenses. I know I have a strong prescription, but these were very thick. I complained and they replied that they knew I had asked for glass, but they thought I would prefer plastic?

They agreed to remake them in glass. After a few weeks no glasses. Chased them up and after a few emails they eventually turned up. Again very thick lenses.

If either pair had been supplied by a UK optician I would have returned them as the prescription is clearly wrong. I suspect that they are OK for weak prescriptions as any error is harder to spot, but with a strong prescription it is very obvious.

Don't waste your money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport