Comments

• shell16
    shell16 Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 5 April 2022 at 9:34AM
    LegoHead said:

a. The date of your lightbulb moment

27th October 2021. Can’t remember the exact details, but knew I had to start taking control and doing something different. I was just throwing all my money at the debts and leaving myself with no money for food or play each month. This was getting me down and if I didn’t take control I would have probably given up and spiralled back into debt. I was massively overwhelmed at this point and just knew I needed help. I didn't know what help I needed but just asking for help was the best decision I ever made.

b. Debts at their highest

About £29k (not including student loan) in December 2020, but there was a lot more before this too. Student loan was paid off in 2021 which must have been about £14,000 that I had since 2006. . I have never been debt free since 2000 just after I left school.

c. Debt-Free Date

Today 5th April 2022

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.

Forgive yourself and be honest with yourself. Yes, you overspent and got yourself in a lot of debt, but you are here and trying to get out of it. Allow yourself to indulge some unnecessary spends without guilt, plan this into your budget.

e. Links to the MSE guides
     that helped you

There are too many I have read over the last year.

f. Which forum threads helped you

All of the diaries. One thing I noticed is that there are a core group of people that appear in all the threads that are the key to all the help. Without these people I would not have got where I am today. It was the people that helped. A few have stuck with me all the way through and kept me accountable and even just a single comment of guidance and encouragement has helped massively too. So thanks to everyone from my diary thread in order of appearance: 

curlytop12CatherineLmadaboutspotsRobM99NeverendingDMPTheAblekimwpBooksandplantsjimjamesenthusiasticsaverMalMonroetealadygizmo111josephine82AndyjfletEssexHebrideanohdearhowdidthathappencapuchinGraham1982NaomimtheoreticavampirotoothusDrawingalinesavingholmesPetal88jusferbrowsingstymiedmoving_forwardHumdinger1joedeniseGeorgianaCavendishpowerspowers

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6220690/starting-to-

budget-after-years-of-wishful-thinking/p21

@LegoHead This is fantastic news well done!  You have done so well clearing that debt in such a quick time!  How did you do this did you throw everything spare, did you side hustle? 

Debt Free - 04/03/23.  Total LBM August 2021 £15410.70

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure