The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,366
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Fantastic result @Poppy198..
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Well done Georgiana - what an achievement!

Fortune x

Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • shell16
    shell16 Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fabulous,  congratulations!! I'm hoping to be where you are by October 2023. I appreciate there will be hiccups along the way though!

Debt Free - 04/03/23.  Total LBM August 2021 £15410.70

• shell16
    shell16 Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The date of your lightbulb moment 
    December 2018

Debts at their highest
    £23,167

Debt-Free Date
    13 February 2021

Your one pearl of wisdom.

Ynab, zero based budgeting, and tracking every penny was transformational for me, forcing me to face up to how much I was actually spending for the first time. Before ynab I had some magical thinking around money and would regularly put food I didn't really need on my credit card towards the end of the month, because I’d spent all my money and food after all is an essential (this food wasn't).

Once I had faced up to what I was actually spending, finding the ways to manage my spending that worked for me was really important. I'd spent a decade setting clothes budgets then ignoring them and spending 10 or 20 times the amount I'd set, but with the non-judgemental support of the forums I was able to realise what was driving that behaviour and find checks and balances that worked for me.

Which forum threads helped you
    The Debt Free Diaries threads were so helpful. Before MSE I felt like the only person to get themselves into such a mess despite being outwardly successful, it’s been comforting to realise I’m not alone and has helped me reflect on the underlying reasons of not feeling good enough that were behind my debt. The accountability of keeping a diary and knowing I’d need to report back when tempted to splurge also went a long way to keeping me on track.

And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it
    Learning to live within my means
    Congratulations!  Your final payment is in sight well done!  Im relatively new into my debt journey but im trying so hard.  These forums are so helpful like you say.  Its definitely kept me accountable and also just joining in with the challenges, learning how to save.

What are you going to do with all this free cash you now have, do you have any plans for savings?

Debt Free - 04/03/23.  Total LBM August 2021 £15410.70

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure