The Great Jessops Price Match Challenge!

Options

Comments

• Scots_Girl
    Options
    e_python wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good deal for a HIGH QUALITY branded compact digital camera over 5pixels. Using the Jessops orrder or othrwise..........
    If you want a super zoom, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Digital Camera (6MP, 12x Optical Zoom) gets good reviews:

http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-reviews/sony-dsc-h2.cfm
    Scores 83 out of 100 (highest for a super zoom is 85)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/h2.html
    "If you're looking for a light-weight, stylish, moderately-priced digicam that is versatile enough to handle most family events while getting you close to sports action or wildlife, the SONY Cyber-shot H2 should be high on your list."

Its priced at £203 by amazon. Jessops are charging significantly more (£390!), so with their price match 110% offer it comes to less than £185.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Scots_Girl wrote:
    If you want a super zoom, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Digital Camera (6MP, 12x Optical Zoom) gets good reviews:

True enough. It doesn't strike me as being very compact though.
    Stompa
  • Weggy
    Weggy Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bungee wrote:
    This is a great forum and thanks to all who posted their experiences.

As I'm off to Vietnam and Cambodia in February I wondered if between Jessops and a VAT refund I could manage to get UK sourced Canon gear down to US online prices (usually the cheapest for Canon).

Strategy -
    a) First read heaps of reviews, consult photographer friends, work out my own needs (and aspirations) and determine a couple of really nice setups.
    b) Find the UK websites with the best pricing on the items I wanted
    c) Get Jessops to match the pricing plus 10% of difference
    d) Fly the whole lot out of the country within three months
    e) Take advantage of any cashback offers from Canon

1) Dream kit with professional 'L' series lenses

EOS 5D + 24-105 f/4L IS USM + 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM

Pros - 12.8MP full frame + all 'L' glass and a nice focal length coverage. 24-105 is small enough for use as a walk around lens
    Cons - Price. Total weight = 810g+670g+1.4kg= 2.88kg. 5D+100-400 alone weighs 2.21kg

2) Seriously good stuff without such a big price

EOS 400D (body only)+ EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM + EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM (Diffractive Optics)

Pros - Cost. Lighter & more compact. Great reviews for both lenses (approaching L quality). More suited to a keen amateur. 1.6x factor of camera gives 480mm effective focal length. Anti-dust technology.
    Cons - Not full frame. Lenses don't have weather proofing or L glass quality. Camera body needs a battery grip to hold comfortably with big lenses.

So how does this price out ?

Option 1)
    Cheapest sites
    5d @ £1569 + £9.99 delivery @ https://www.rgb-tech.co.uk
    24-105mm @ £656 (free shipping) @ https://www.ajpurdy.co.uk
    100-400mm @ £1022 using discount code cm2u-pr20 as advised on camerapricebuster.co.uk) @ cameras2u.com

Even better is a 5d+24-105mm package @ £2167 @ Jessops online (using Blitzen code to save £80 as advised on camerapricebuster.co.uk)

So how much can I theoretically get this for ?

Assuming Jessops have same price as online then
    Total = 1022+2167=£3189
    Jessops discount = 0.1*(1198-1022) = £35
    With VAT = £3154
    pre VAT = £2618
    + £100 rebate from Canon on 100-400 lens
    Total = £2518 ($4771) which beats B&H New York @ $4759 (plus BIG postage)

Option 2)

400D = £448 @ abc-digital-cameras.co.uk (Jessops 469)
    17-55 = £635 @ abc-digital-cameras.co.uk (Jessops 870)
    70-300 = £778 @ abc-digital-cameras.co.uk (Jessops 1050)

In theory this should mean a Jessops price to me of
    448+635+778-0.1((469-448)+(870-635)+(1050-778)) = 1861-53 = £1808

This leaves a pre VAT price of £1500. Then Canon give a £70 rebate on the 70-300mm lens leaving a total of £1430 ($2714) which beats B&H New York @ $2820 (plus BIG postage).

The reality
    I took this second option with print-outs of web pages to Jessops. The web site was checked locally and again by head office when they sought permission to match. They also called to verify that they were UK based with current UK stock. The big difference on the 70-300mm lens was making them uncomfortable so I waited until they checked with head office and were resigned to matching it before mentioning the additional 10% of the difference. The salesperson baulked but the manager stepped in to say this was OK. So we settled on the price. OK the theory works.

The problem was Jessops had none of the items in stock !! We ended up agreeing that I would take a 400D with the kit (18-55mm) lens and the salesperson would buy it off me for the difference (£35) as that was cheaper than the staff discount for that lens. Strange but OK with me. The 70-300mm lens was out of stock but a customer had ordered one 3 months ago, it had come in and the customer could not be contacted so they were willing to sell it to me. The 17-55mm had to be ordered.

Pretty chuffed with the bargains I went for some extras. Jessops matched £261 for the Canon 580 EX speedlite flash (at Cameras2u using discount code cm2u-pr06) but since it was under their trade price of £274 they declined to offer the extra discount. Besides, after VAT refund and £35 cashback I pay £182 for a flash with an RRP around £400. They also refused outright to match on a SanDisk CompactFlash 2 GB Extreme III card @ £36.59 @ amazon.co.uk since their price was £130 so I ordered a couple from the amazon reseller. They matched a Canon BG-E3 (BGE3) Battery Grip @ £87.50 @ abc-digital-cameras.co.uk but refused the further discount for the difference. They were willing to match a spare battery against a genuine Canon part but not against batterieseurope.com £14.99 for a NB-2LH equivalent.

So OK I blew the budget a bit. I even took out 3yr accidental breakage cover. I did prove that when holidaying outside the UK you can get best prices, UK warranties and high street service before you leave home. For me that's peace of mind and time to sharper my skills on the new gear before I go on holiday.

Your first post, and what a stormer it is!! :T

I'm off to Jessops tomorrow to get a 400d, and your post has given me a huge lift. I tried to get it on Friday but they were being very stubborn... hopefully going to a different branch will bring more luck!

Well done on your find - I'm looking forward to many more posts from you of that quality! :beer:
  • Stompa
    Options
    Weggy wrote:
    I tried to get it on Friday but they were being very stubborn... hopefully going to a different branch will bring more luck!

FWIW when I got my price match the assistant had to phone some sort of 'help desk' to get it authorised. I'd assumed that all stores would phone the same 'help desk' meaning it shouldn't make any difference which store you go to. I hope for your sake that turns out not to be the case.
    Stompa
  • Weggy
    Options
    Stompa wrote:
    FWIW when I got my price match the assistant had to phone some sort of 'help desk' to get it authorised. I'd assumed that all stores would phone the same 'help desk' meaning it shouldn't make any difference which store you go to. I hope for your sake that turns out not to be the case.

Hmmmm interesting. The branch in Canary Wharf (where I visited Friday) didn't mention anything about making a call. They price matched the camera, but refused to match the compact flash card... I'm going tomorrow much better prepared, and with a copy of their 'price match' in my hand.... Will let you know how I get on...... Could be a fun afternoon!
  • Stompa
    Options
    Weggy wrote:
    Hmmmm interesting. The branch in Canary Wharf (where I visited Friday) didn't mention anything about making a call. They price matched the camera, but refused to match the compact flash card... I'm going tomorrow much better prepared, and with a copy of their 'price match' in my hand.... Will let you know how I get on...... Could be a fun afternoon!

After I'd actually bought the camera I said to the assistant that I reckoned I'd got a good deal. He then said that I'd got it at less than their cost price so they were making a loss on it - and that as long as the conditions of the price match were fulfilled then they were obliged to honour it.
    Stompa
  • School_Bully
    Options
    Weggy wrote:
    I'm off to Jessops tomorrow to get a 400d, and your post has given me a huge lift. I tried to get it on Friday but they were being very stubborn... hopefully going to a different branch will bring more luck!

:beer:

Did you manage to get a good deal on the 400D?
    I'm saving my pennies and dropping HUMONGOUS hints to wifey for my birthday / Xmas!! :grin:
  • Weggy
    Options
    Success!

Went to Jessops in Maidstone (which has 2 branches in the town).

Showed the assistant my price match print outs from Dixons (camera) and Amazon (memory card). She was quite young and clearly a weekend part timer. Anyway, she said that her manager was out so she'd call the manager of the other store in town. Fair enough. She came back a couple of minutes later and said that they could price match the camera but not the memory card, and that price match only applies to digital SLR cameras. I then politely pointed out to her that the price match they offer says "any of our products" with no mention of exclusions. She read it and agreed. She then phoned another branch and spoke to their manager. Again, a couple of minutes later she came back. This time she said that this manager has told her to just do it! Result!

The price match on the camera isn't a huge saving, but the memory card more than made up for it. So, here are the prices paid....

Canon EOS 400d, with lens kit 18-55mm
    Jessops advertised price - £499.99
    Dixons online price - £479.96
    Price paid - £477.96

Sandisk Extreme III (yes 3!!!) 4gb Compact Flash card
    Jessops advertised price - £199.99
    Amazon online price - £87.98
    Price paid - £76.78

Very pleased with all that! Most of the shop stopped what they were doing too to have a good listen to what was going on.... hopefully they'll do the same as the rest of us.....

Now time to decide which lens I want to get, and start surfing for the best online price.... ;)
  • sallysaver
    Options
    Hi,
    Jessops currently advertising above model for £334. Available online at cameras2u, shoppping4cameras, AJ purdy, Bestcameras and AJ electronics, prices ranging from £297.50 to £299.99. Best cameras are offering Free case and disc in with the price. There is £50 cash back from Sony nationwide.(dowload coupon from net and return with receipt and available until 24 Dec) Could anyone tell me if all the online companys listed above would qualify as
    valid for pricematching? There could be a further 10% if you buy from Jessops online, but can you buy online and pricematch as well. Thankyou. sallysaver
  • Weggy
    Options
    Online companies do qualify, so long as they are UK goods, and have a UK phone number.... Today, I've used dixons online and Amazon to get price matches at Jessops.... simply print the pages off and take them to the store and DONT let them fob you off!

Not sure whether cash back, or the free items will be honoured, but if you don't ask, you don't get!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure