Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth) - Page 16

New Post Advanced Search

How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

edited 29 January 2011 at 2:26PM in Broadband & Internet Access
181 replies 307K views

Replies

• stardakstardak Forumite
    19 posts
    Thanks for this.
  • CatbellsCatbells Forumite
    766 posts
    I am just familiarising myself with the various monitoring systems available and this will take me a while (not being a techno person) but would like have know a rule of thumb idea on what my consumption is as a private individual using the internet on what I would call an ordinary every day basis - emails, banking, moderate downloads (1 a day) and online bridge/wordgames.
  • katewillskatewills Forumite
    5 posts
    thank you!
  • MrJ wrote: »
    most of the time, everything is measured in bytes, so remember to divide by 1024 for KB, 1024 again for MB, and 1024 a third time for GB

hope this helps
    ahh thanks for clarifying that for me
  • charlieheardcharlieheard Forumite
    521 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    MrJ wrote: »
    most of the time, everything is measured in bytes, so remember to divide by 1024 for KB, 1024 again for MB, and 1024 a third time for GB

hope this helps
    Just to confuse things, connection speed is sometimes measured in bits, where 8 bits make 1 byte. Make sure you check if it's saying bits or bytes, as it could be out by a factor of 8 :wall:
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • dbsdbs Forumite
    479 posts
    Hi
    I am on Virgin Media and would like to know how much broadband usage per month I use because I am thinking of changing BB provider can I do this through VM or would I have to download some software.

If I have to download software it would have to be easy to use and I would have to work out the usage of three laptops and xbox in my family.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks
  • gildiusgildius Forumite
    299 posts
    ✭✭
    This is great, thanks!

Will it measure just my usage? I'm in a shared house so it would be good to know the total usage.
  • SomniacSomniac Forumite
    115 posts
    If you are a BT customer, you can access a daily use meter on the website.
  • I have installed Networx on my laptop so I can monitor what is being used. There was been only small usage until yesterday when I used 8Gb in an hour. The laptop was on Ebay where I was watching an item I had bid on - would this use that much data?
  • charlieheardcharlieheard Forumite
    521 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    SVM wrote: »
    I have installed Networx on my laptop so I can monitor what is being used. There was been only small usage until yesterday when I used 8Gb in an hour. The laptop was on Ebay where I was watching an item I had bid on - would this use that much data?
    It sounds extremely unlikely that it would use that much - I don't think my broadband could deliver that in a day!

Do you use WiFi and does someone else have a computer on the same broadband connection? If so, it would be more likely that Networx is measuring the passage of data between these computers. Have you selected the option to ignore local traffic in the settings?

With more modern routers, you can set the Networx settings only to monitor the router than the computer alone. Alternatively you can install Networx on every PC and tell it to aggregate the readings from every computer - just make sure that it is set to ignore local traffic...

Hope this helps.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support