Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth) - Page 14

New Post Advanced Search

How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

edited 29 January 2011 at 3:26PM in Broadband & Internet Access
181 replies 307K views

Replies

• If you're with BT, you can check how much internet you have used by checking your account details via their website. I'd recommend anybody to check their actual internet usage. I recently realised I was only using about 30GB a month (sometimes not even that), so changed from unlimited down to 40GB limit and am now saving a fair amount each month. That 30GB usage includes quite a few hours of i-player and ITV-player etc and my wife working from home a lot.
  • Hi,
    We are with AOL. I hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction.
    I have noticed recently that in all the 3 computers when trying to watch youtube it does not load or play and keeps buffering and then play and stop and stutter again.
    We did not have such a problem before. Where we could watch the song easily. What has changed recently is we have added ipad plus two ipones at home now how would the wireless router be affected or would it be affected. Also have skype phone plugged in to the router.

Also there is not signal in my bedroom. Please if there is a way to rectifiy it would make life a bit more simpler.
    Or would it help by changing from AOL to BT infinity or something like that?

Thanks
  • Thanks for this great suggestion and really a nice software........ I hve used this one brilliant.....
    :)
  • I'm with Sky and after several phone calls complaining about my broadband being slow, they directed me to their own broadband speed checker. It told me I was getting 5MB download speeds, but after a lot more research and several broadband checks later I discovered I was avaerage only 1.5MB download speeds!!!
  • Wow, awesome work you have done here. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts
  • Thank you very much. I'll check my Internet connection.
  • vinylmusicvinylmusic Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Net Meter but there's just one point where it falls down.
    I am with Plusnet with a monthly allowance of 60Gb
    We use 3 computers on the same network each usng their share

Plusnet allow free usage at night from midnight till 8am so during that time our allowance is not effected

Therefore the problem we have is metering only from 8am until midnight.
    I don't know if I've missed something but I see no way of setting Net Meter to do that.
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • charlieheardcharlieheard Forumite
    521 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    vinylmusic wrote: »
    I really like Net Meter but there's just one point where it falls down.
    I am with Plusnet with a monthly allowance of 60Gb
    We use 3 computers on the same network each usng their share

Plusnet allow free usage at night from midnight till 8am so during that time our allowance is not effected

Therefore the problem we have is metering only from 8am until midnight.
    I don't know if I've missed something but I see no way of setting Net Meter to do that.
    I gave up on Netmeter a while ago as I couldn't get it to handle multiple PCs. As the developer mentions on his homepage, he can't get it to work properly on Vista or above and it crashes mysteriously, so he gave up and stopped developing it over 2 years ago.

I switched to Networx, which collates all PCs usage very simply, is able to ignore WiFi usage between PCs and has an easy option to set unmetered usage. I wouldn't go back to Netmeter.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • I have 2 PCs hardwired to the router.

2 laptops which connect wireless

1 Galaxy tab which is wireless

3 iPhones which are wireless.

Will this monitor the whole lot? What if i install it on my PC but my PC is turned off though?? I'm assuming this would therefore need to be installed on EVERY machine? If so, what about the tab & the iPhones?

• nickj_2nickj_2 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

this is a link for a web usage monitor download , you can set it to give you a reminder if you are getting near to your limit , and it's free btw
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support