Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth) - Page 11

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

edited 29 January 2011 at 2:26PM in Broadband & Internet Access
181 replies 306.9K views
18911131419

Replies

  • herman2811herman2811 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Does anyone know if there's a way (or an App) to monitor the usage on an iPhone?

    Specifically, I have the Sky Sports Mobile TV App, so I was just wondering how much that uses? (I think that's referred to as "streaming video"?)
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    herman2811 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a way (or an App) to monitor the usage on an iPhone?

    Specifically, I have the Sky Sports Mobile TV App, so I was just wondering how much that uses? (I think that's referred to as "streaming video"?)

    It is built into the iPhone.

    Settings, general, usage.

    If you want daily usage then just reset the counter every day.

    You won't find an App to track usage, as Apple do not allow third party Apps to run in the background.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • herman2811herman2811 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    espresso wrote: »
    It is built into the iPhone.

    Settings, general, usage.

    If you want daily usage then just reset the counter every day.

    You won't find an App to track usage, as Apple do not allow third party Apps to run in the background.

    Thanks, just tried it, but the problem is that the built in usage monitor in the iphone only tracks cellular network data.

    I want to check my home broadband usage, and as my iphone connects via wifi to my home router, I wanted to see how much I was using with the phone, and in particular during use of the app i mentioned.

    I have a program for my computer but as I often use my phone as well, the amount showing on my computer is not going to be an accurate reflection of my (home broadband) usage.
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    herman2811 wrote: »
    Thanks, just tried it, but the problem is that the built in usage monitor in the iphone only tracks cellular network data.

    I want to check my home broadband usage, and as my iphone connects via wifi to my home router, I wanted to see how much I was using with the phone, and in particular during use of the app i mentioned.

    I have a program for my computer but as I often use my phone as well, the amount showing on my computer is not going to be an accurate reflection of my (home broadband) usage.

    So read the usage stats on your router then.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • herman2811herman2811 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    espresso wrote: »
    So read the usage stats on your router then.

    Sorry for being thick! I didn't know you could do that... errrr, how?! I have a Netgear DG834G.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    herman2811 wrote: »
    Sorry for being thick! I didn't know you could do that... errrr, how?! I have a Netgear DG834G.


    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php ;)
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • herman2811herman2811 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    spud17 wrote: »

    Thanks, although I don't really understand what I'm looking at.

    Is it the WAN or WLAN part I'm interested in? There's info about:

    Status
    TxPkts
    RxPkts
    Collisions
    Tx B/s
    Rx B/s

    But I don't understand what any of these mean. I would just like to know how much I've downloaded in any given month.
  • smithyjulessmithyjules Forumite
    497 posts
    Hi all. We are with Plusnet which has been fine up until we recieved an email stating we had almost reached our 20GB usage. On the Plusnet website it breaks down your usage into a number of categories, most of which make sense except the OTHER category which takes 53% of our current usage. Plusnet can't tell us what actually goes into this category apart from that is is NOT general web surfing, email, gaming, peer to peer, streaming etc. So what the flippin heck could it be lol!!!it was my hubby who spotted it. Would one of the online usage meters break it down for us or are they just useful for total usage?

    Many thanks for any help!
  • boho_2boho_2 Forumite
    10 posts
    usually I use protemac meter for control bandwidth
  • i know that this has prob been asked already but i havent really found a clear cut answer, is there a way to track your usage of playing xbox online? i read that it only uses about 10mb download and 6 upload for each hour. but every month were using around 40gb in usage, i dl a little bit, but this past month ive dl'd maybe 1gb, but we still ended up using 30 some odd gb! help?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support