How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

Options

Comments

• Mike_J
    Mike_J Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to use Rokario but once we got three laptops, a Wii and a couple of DS contacting it was nearly inpossible to keep track os usage. Thankfully now our ISP actually has a download monitor linked directly to our online account which records the total of ALL traffic through our connection.
  • TruckerMike
    Options
    I use Speedchecker, this shows download & upload speed which is handy if you upload pictures to websites. Normally download speed is good with providers, but not always the upload speed and Speedcheck allows you to check this.
  • FelishaWoodson
    Options
    What a great idea,amazing!I'm starting to love you. :D
    Late in the room:beer:
  • berol
    berol Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there any reason why when I watch movies online or Skype with someone that my internet with BT drops?
    Live long and prosper
  • moksha_2
    moksha_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    First posting so apologies if I've missed any protocol.
    Is there anything I can do if the progamme I use (from ThinkBroadband) to measure how much bandwidth I use a month (32 to 38 gB) is significantly different to that which my provider (TalkTalk)thinks i'm using ~ in excess of 60gB?
    TalkTalk have introduced a new 'limit' on us (and other customers on "obsolete accounts" i.e. TalkTalk International tarriff) and we're exceeding it according to them. They're very reluctant to negotiate with me and come across as very abrupt and highhanded.
    We've already checked no-one is piggybacking off us and have upgraded security.
    Any suggestions please?
  • charlieheard
    Options
    moksha wrote: »
    First posting so apologies if I've missed any protocol.
    Is there anything I can do if the progamme I use (from ThinkBroadband) to measure how much bandwidth I use a month (32 to 38 gB) is significantly different to that which my provider (TalkTalk)thinks i'm using ~ in excess of 60gB?
    TalkTalk have introduced a new 'limit' on us (and other customers on "obsolete accounts" i.e. TalkTalk International tarriff) and we're exceeding it according to them. They're very reluctant to negotiate with me and come across as very abrupt and highhanded.
    We've already checked no-one is piggybacking off us and have upgraded security.
    Any suggestions please?
    Are you using WiFi? If so, the results from your measurements are likely to be solely for the PC you've installed the program on. Any other computer or smartphone using the WiFi will not register. If you've not got any other users, I'm afraid I'm stumped.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • charlieheard
    Options
    Just thinking about usage by smartphones, and realised I downloaded a 1.3 Gb film yesterday (via Orange Film to Go), and it won't show up on my Networx results. Anyone know of a way to measure downloads by a smartphone over WiFi? Mine's an iphone, but the same question applies to my wife's Android phone.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • moksha_2
    Options
    Are you using WiFi? If so, the results from your measurements are likely to be solely for the PC you've installed the program on. Any other computer or smartphone using the WiFi will not register. If you've not got any other users, I'm afraid I'm stumped.

Thanks for replying. Not sure what else to do myself!
  • fishooX
    fishooX Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Does it even matter how much you download over wifi? I'm confused.
  • moksha_2
    Options
    fishooX wrote: »
    Does it even matter how much you download over wifi? I'm confused.

If you have a download limit on your account then no matter how you access the internet it will 'count'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure