PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just be careful when it gets below freezing - unless you have very well insulated pipes, keeping the heating on low protects the plumbing. Calling a plumber out for a burst pipe costs a lot more than the heating as a friend found out :eek:
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Well the good thing about this very cold weather is that any surplus stuff overloading our fridge can be safely stored in a cool box or bag outside the kitchen door. At the moment there is a row of tonic bottles lined up which are keeping nicely chilled to support our Dry January!

There has been sparkling water outside mine!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Techno wrote: »
    Just be careful when it gets below freezing - unless you have very well insulated pipes, keeping the heating on low protects the plumbing. Calling a plumber out for a burst pipe costs a lot more than the heating as a friend found out :eek:

Good point. Have insulation around pipes and sandwiched between apartments above and below though end of block so have a few external walls.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Wow, that is disciplined! QUOTE]

Not as disciplined as I would like to think - sometimes I put the heating on for 30 mins in the morning if very cold - as it is not fun to be cold in the nuddy...
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • White_musk
    Options
    Pop the heating on while having my morning coffee so the wet room is warm for my shower. As soon as I'm dry and dressed it goes off. I then put it on for an hour or so in the evening when sitting around. The radiator in my bedroom is switched off and the window open a little bit as I can't be doing with a hot bedroom.

I try to potter as much as possible so I don't need the heating on during the day. I long for the warmer weather when it doesn't need to go on at all.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    White_musk wrote: »
    Pop the heating on while having my morning coffee so the wet room is warm for my shower. As soon as I'm dry and dressed it goes off.
    Don't you worry about the wet room staying damp and getting mouldy?

Midnight and I'm in multiple layers. The heating and fire are still on too.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • White_musk
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Don't you worry about the wet room staying damp and getting mouldy?

Midnight and I'm in multiple layers. The heating and fire are still on too.

OO no. I'm a fresh air freak and love the windows in the wetroom and my bedroom open. In summer my windows are never closed, as is the back door, although obviously it is when I go out. I'm also a bathroom germ-phobe (genuinely) so the wetroom is scrubbed within an inch of it's life daily, the loo is cleaned more often per day than I'm prepared to admit. Mould doesn't stand a chance here. :rotfl:
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I went to bed a little down yesterday, having seen the headline on one the the redtops informing us this is the start of a 5-week freeze:

2019-01-21.jpg

Wake me up in March...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Techno wrote: »

I've only had my CH on for testing purposes this winter as I'm either active or hibernating in front of the wood-burner in the lounge which also heats the dining room when |I open the door.

When I pootle off on my skiing holiday I open the loft hatch, put the heating on constant and lower the thermostat to pretty well its lowest setting. This seems to work well, and being a terraced house it benefits from the protection either side.

When we return both fire and central heating get started immediately!
  • chickens11
    Options
    White_musk wrote: »
    OO no. I'm a fresh air freak and love the windows in the wetroom and my bedroom open. In summer my windows are never closed, as is the back door, although obviously it is when I go out. I'm also a bathroom germ-phobe (genuinely) so the wetroom is scrubbed within an inch of it's life daily, the loo is cleaned more often per day than I'm prepared to admit. Mould doesn't stand a chance here. :rotfl:

Me too fresh air freak , my bedroom window is open 24/7 all year round , lovely under the duvet and breathing cold air in ........But i have got my woodburner alight in the sitting room 24/7 as its not nice to sit cold ........Also ive got GCH should I need back up heating ............Keep warm folks..
    My motto is " one life live it ".....:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure