PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Very chilly at the moment in my part of Kent and my heating is on full blast as if my joints get too chilly they just won't work properly This morning I shall be baking as my sis-in-law is coming tomorrow morning for cuppa and cake as she is visiting a neighbour who is in the Medway Maritime hospital with a broken hip and thats only about two miles from me. So my kitchen will be nice and warm and hopefully smelling nice as well I have my book club book on audio so I can listen whilst I bake :)
    Far too cold and sleeting for me to venture out today

Keep warm chums ,no one wants to be poorly over Christmas

JackieO xx
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    Just been out into the garden putting rubbish out - it's cold but didn't feel bitter. Not sure i could stay out for much longer than 10 minutes tho. Ben trying to sort out next doors drainpipe - it's supposed to empty into a shared drain but the end of it ends above the actual drain and teh waste water just overshoots and ends up pouring doen my garden path. I've asked them enough times to fix it.... (they're tenants so don't care).
    So far i've pushed one of the down drainpipes in its way to see if the water catches that and flows down the drain. If it, i'll keep "accidentally" hitting their pipe with my bins on the way in/out. They'll soon fix it when it's causing their house problems and they have a thick ice rink outside their back door to try and walk on....

Also, a bucket that filled with water in the recent rain now has a quarter inch thick disc of ice floating in it. That'll be getting thicker as the day goes on. Heating was on for an hour and half. Off again now and i'm sat with HWB. House doesn't feel particularly cold. It's still 17c indoors.
  • chickens11
    Options
    Bitterly cold day , woodburner alight as usual , and GCH as a back up too if needed ....Keep warm people .....
    My motto is " one life live it ".....:)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Definitely on! But although its cold, its also been also gloriously sunny.

I was lucky enough to have a day wfh, perfect weather for a lunchtime stroll and afterwards was able to sit comfortably in the conservatory for the first time in weeks.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Very sunny but also extremely cold here today. Have made the most of the dry weather by starting to cut out a massive laurel 'hedge' that was dividing two areas of the garden..... really pleased with how it looks :D

Indoors now with the snug wood burner lit and a warming stew bubbling away. No central heating on yet - we didn't get round to fitting the radiators in snug and kitchen yet so couldn't have them on if we wanted to, lol!

Keep toasty everyone ;)
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 January 2019 at 4:22PM
    Options
    Putting heating on for one hour before bed when very cold which is quite often this week...
    Offset heating use this winter by reducing hot water from 30 minutes to 20 minutes each morning - seen no difference in availability of hot water.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mee wrote: »
    Putting heating on for one hour before bed when very cold which is quite often this week...
    Offset heating use this winter by reducing hot water from 30 minutes to 20 minutes each morning - seen no difference in availability of hot water.
    Wow, that is disciplined! I've been keeping as much of an eye on my energy usage as I can without a smart meter, and can see its shot up this last month (£75 dual fuel, much of which I put down to electric fires which I use in whichever room I'm in rather than turning the CH thermostat up). It makes me wish I could have captured thee excess heat that landed in the conservatory last summer.

It is very cold this evening - I went out for a walk just after dusk and it felt cold enough to snow. Based on that assessment, I nipped into Lidl and bought some frozen peas, knowing they would be intact by the time I reached home 25 minutes later :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Switched the heating on at 7pm as it's freezing tonight and still got it on. I like to save money but still no way I'm going to sit in the cold.

I use next to no gas between May and October so don't mind using it in winter. :)
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    -18C here, windchill takes it down to -24C.

Yes, it's on. But I've got on a sweater, and padded vest and a shawl. The Collie is not happy and keeps moving his bed closer to the heat source.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well the good thing about this very cold weather is that any surplus stuff overloading our fridge can be safely stored in a cool box or bag outside the kitchen door. At the moment there is a row of tonic bottles lined up which are keeping nicely chilled to support our Dry January!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback