My Item Stolen From Repair Shop - What can I do?

Options
Hi All,

I really hope someone can help. I don't know where else to go and I'm at a complete loss.

I took some high-end audio equipment for repair to a local shop. I'd used them before and didn't have any issues, but this time its been 6 months of pain.

I took the item in at the end of march. There were many delays, and a range of excuses cited; the item is relatively old (8 years) and the parts are rare, then the part was being shipped from America, then there was the volcanic ash. I got fed up with their excuses and started looking into finding the part myself. I found one, from the original manufacturers website based in the UK IMMEADIATELY and had received it after 3 working days. It cost me £100, but I just wanted my equipment repaired. So I took the part in and gave it to them and I was told it would be ready in a week. Fine.

So a week passed and I chased them. I was told that a break-in had occurred and my item had been stolen!!! I have all the crime reference details and I checked it out with South Yorkshire Police who confirmed that the incident had been recorded and they were investigating. This was about 6 weeks ago.

And now, after a total of 6 months has elapsed I still haven't got anything. They said they will be sorting me out a replacement, but after having spoken to them today, it sounds like the director is unwilling to replace it with a newer (because mine is an older model and hard to get hold of) or WORKING version!!!

I've asked the shop manager many times to get the director to call me and he hasn't bothered. I just don't know how to get this moving forward.

The item is covered under my own home contents insurance policy but I don't really want to claim when its not my fault or responsibility and would potentially push my premium up.

I would appreciate any advice on how to get this to some sort of conclusion. I really am getting so frustrated by this.

Thank you,

Chris

Comments

• garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The shop would surely have their own insurance that would cover the cost I would think.
  • Vomityspice
    Options
    How much is the item worth (i.e. the cost to replace like for like?)

Then simply make a small claims to recover the monies lost.

You need to:

1) Write a letter a before action giving them 14 days to resolve the matter otherwise you will issue a claim.
    2) If they don't refund £xxx then fill in your N1 form (google it or available from your local court) and send it off. The claim will be issued to the company and they can then defend there position in court.
    3) I suspect before you get to court, they will issue a cheque.
    4) Remember to add Stat. Interest at 8% and the court listing fee.
    5) As they have lost your item, you have a sure fire win!

If they start to talk any non sense about insurance etc, simply tell them thats not your problem. Issue your claim and get on with it. After waiting 6 months they probably think your a mug. There is no need for the director to call you! Issue the Letter before action and put the ball in their court.

The day after the 14 days have elapsed, submit your form to the court. Don't phone, don't ask them if they are going to pay, serve them with the claim form.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

For how much? What is reasonable?
  • joeyboy
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    For how much? What is reasonable?

surely it would be the cost of a replacement and possibly the £100 part he purchased and gave to them, as he only had to spend this extra amount because of their incompetence/lies as OP said it was readily available online from the manufacturer with a 3 day UK delivery.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Back in the day when people repaired stuff my friend's family took their telly to this right old dodgy shop on our local high street for repair after it went 'wobbly on BBC'. Despite regular visits to ask the shifty guy when their telly was going to be ready, they were reduced to playing monopoly for getting on for three or four weeks. One day my friend was mooching down the high street only to see their telly up for sale in the window. That was the 70s for you. People should think themselves lucky these days :D
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • djsnakehipschris
    Options
    Thanks all for your great help. The letter is going in the post today. I've stated £460, because that is the average price of the four 'But It Now' items on ebay.

Lets see what they do next, I'll keep you posted.
  • djsnakehipschris
    Options
    How much is the item worth (i.e. the cost to replace like for like?)

Then simply make a small claims to recover the monies lost.

You need to:

1) Write a letter a before action giving them 14 days to resolve the matter otherwise you will issue a claim.
    2) If they don't refund £xxx then fill in your N1 form (google it or available from your local court) and send it off. The claim will be issued to the company and they can then defend there position in court.
    4) Remember to add Stat. Interest at 8% and the court listing fee.
    5) As they have lost your item, you have a sure fire win!

If they start to talk any non sense about insurance etc, simply tell them thats not your problem. Issue your claim and get on with it. After waiting 6 months they probably think your a mug. There is no need for the director to call you! Issue the Letter before action and put the ball in their court.

The day after the 14 days have elapsed, submit your form to the court. Don't phone, don't ask them if they are going to pay, serve them with the claim form.

Hi Vomity spice,

I have done as you have said, but they refused the recorded delivery letter and it was returned to me!! What should I do now... start proceedings or try again?

Thanks again for your help :o

Chris
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Send them another letter, stating that as the recorded one was refused by them, you're now delivering one by hand. Give them the same deadline, and if they don't pay up, just start the court procedure against them.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • djsnakehipschris
    Options
    Will give that a go, thank you!
  • BigLee_24
    Options
    What is the item?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income