PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter II

Options

Comments

• kmiller4
    kmiller4 Posts: 107 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2011 at 12:23AM
    Options
    Good day saving at the grocer's today. Paid 50 quid (about $80 US) for 100 quid (about $160 US) worth of items after coupons and sales. Bought a huge bottle of laundry detergent, a box of zip lock bags, and a package of loo rolls :D as well as fridge items--gallon of milk, 1 pound shrimp (prawns), 2 pounds bacon (rashers), 1 lb sliced cheese and a package of shredded mozzarella.
    Also, 4 boxes pasta (expensive high protein low carb type), 2 large jars pasta sauce, 3 boxes stuffing (dressing) mix, 2 jars preserves, 2 cans (tins) tomatoes, large box of tea bags (Red Rose), a loaf of bread, a dozen doughnuts for OH, and Oreo cookies (yum--do you have these in the UK? If not I shall send some!)
    Also toiletry items-- 3 toothpaste, 6 bars soap, a large shampoo and a regular size conditioner, 2 deodorants and a body wash. Lastly 2 of the 4 kg bags of natural dog food for the winter stockpile.

It may seem like an odd assortment, but I've quite a stockpile already as well as a a full large chest freezer to round out for meals. I stock up when the items are on sale and I have a coupon to match. Here they double the value of some coupons (under $1) so the 3 boxes of Stove Top stuffing/dressing mix was $1 (about 65p) after coupons.

I have to work at my second job this weekend. Have already decided we will have ham (must find one in freezer to thaw) and mashed potatoes. OH already finished his pumpkin pie and the other one went to the elderly neighbor man whose wife has celiac so never makes him treats. He is always so pleased. In fact awhile back he traveled to a nail salon and bought me a gift certificate for a mani/pedicure. He is so sweet, although I wish he wouldn't try to feel like he needs to do something to reciprocate. I think i'll make apple crisp (crumble) this weekend for dessert (pudding). See ladies-- I am picking up the "lingo":T

We have experienced some very warm weather (27C) here this week thus far. Rainy today however and the weatherman tells us a cold front (5C) is on the way now. Dogs have muddy feet and I am making them dunk their paws in a bucket of warm water when they come in from outside-- which they do NOT like one bit. I don't mind wet feet, but I do not want mud on my beige carpets! I can easily mop up clean water from wet paws on the kitchen floor.

Plan to change to the flannel sheets and down comforter for the bed over the weekend. New jacket and long coat have arrived. They are pretty, but still in the plastic wrapping as I have not had the time to try them on yet. I have to work again next weekend, then a few days off for autumn break. Will check in as I am able:)

Kathy
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just spotted this hot water bottle on HotUKDeals.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018LS1XS/ref=nosim/?!!!!!hotukdeals-21
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well the outside of the house is looking lovely. DH is just now finishing painting the down pipes, I have most of the fence painted now. Have to wait for the clematis to die back now before we can finish completely but its looking good ( buy do I hurt today - need pain killers)

After four days with no water we are just running the tanks through now so hopefully I can get on and get the washing done. The its the lovely job of scrubbing out the sinks, baths and shower trays getting rid of the silt that is lying there

Next on the list of things for winter is to go through the store cupboards and start my hoarding. With electricity not very stable up here if the weather gets bad we dont have a lot of freezer space ( two years ago we had no leccy for a week and I threw out tones of food) so its tinned and packet food stuffs that can be cooked in a saucepan for us.

Oh I forgot - finally got cleared of the last of the car boot stuff I have had sat in boxes since Easter (2010) Took advantage of the nice evening Wednesday and drove out to a well established one. Started at 5 and we were nearly sold out come 6.30 so put a few things back in the boot ( just too expensive to "give away" ) and sold everything up for a quid an item and came home with a hundred ponds in our pockets and more importantly - much needed space ( for more hoarding lol )
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Hi everyone, another lovely sunny day ....:D

Good news is that I think I've found the bag with the fleece throw and a couple of extra winter coats in - up the loft.

Bad news is that I can't reach them:( (one of my pals put them up there and he's a lot taller than me so can reach further back from the hatch than I can).

Arrrrrgggggghhhhh, all that lovely sun that could've been drying them going to waste:o

One more thing ticked off today - found an offer on dog's food so 2 bags ordered with one to be put away for his emergency stash (bag lasts around 5 weeks) and saved over £10 so even better ... that's the pets totally sorted now:) which is a big relief:D

Knitted throw for my shoulders is coming along well and keeping me occupied, it's getting quite long so another foot or so and it'll be done:) - only trouble is I can't for the life of me remember how to cast off:eek: (been years since I knitted) so will have to search on how to do that:o.

Hope everyone's having a good/productive day.:D
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • DHT
    DHT Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I enjoy reading this thread every day and thank you all for the wonderful tips.:j

I have done bubble wraps for the bath/toilet windows but others were not allowed to use bubbles as I live in the flat - horrible resident association/landlord rules.

Has anyone used 'Melinex Polyester Sheetings' for windows?
    A bit expensive but can re-use it so better than hairdryer ones?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh thanks for the reminder for the dog food - we are near out so need to go get a sack - thats a 40 mile round trip so Ive been putting it off till I need to be headed that direction - and its just not happened
  • Purple_kitten
    Options
    The curtains are being washed as i type one set one, and re washed as they were scarily bad, and another load about to go in making the most of this sun.

I need to go and clear a few things but it's too hot upstairs where the sun hits at midday - well that's my excuse for now!
  • Hi to all:beer:
    My first bit of prep ahead of this Winter is to buy the Lakeland Dry Soon Tower Drier which be warned needs one to construct some kind of sheet thing over it in order to activate it's effectiveness; so for me a big first step into MSE Winter Wonderland.:money:
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • muffin_man_7
    Options
    Hi everyone, another lovely sunny day ....:D

Good news is that I think I've found the bag with the fleece throw and a couple of extra winter coats in - up the loft.

Bad news is that I can't reach them:( (one of my pals put them up there and he's a lot taller than me so can reach further back from the hatch than I can).

Arrrrrgggggghhhhh, all that lovely sun that could've been drying them going to waste:o

One more thing ticked off today - found an offer on dog's food so 2 bags ordered with one to be put away for his emergency stash (bag lasts around 5 weeks) and saved over £10 so even better ... that's the pets totally sorted now:) which is a big relief:D

Knitted throw for my shoulders is coming along well and keeping me occupied, it's getting quite long so another foot or so and it'll be done:) - only trouble is I can't for the life of me remember how to cast off:eek: (been years since I knitted) so will have to search on how to do that:o.

Hope everyone's having a good/productive day.:D

Rising to cast off knit as normal but you pass the 1st stitch over the 2nd stitch soyou are left with 1 stitch knit the next one and pass the 1st stitch over keep going til you get to the last stitch and you wrap wool round needle and pull through the stitch hope that makes sense
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • Ziggy8083
    Options
    Wow heat is crazy here! Cannot get over how warm house is at the moment.

Just completed trolley dash around L*dl to Jenson Button-esque speed! Grabbed 2 packs of Cushelle as they only seemed to have a few left. So T-Roll Mountain has officially been started. Someone else mentioned that xmas stuff was in there and sure enough it was. I love the german style gingerbread biscuits so grabbed a few of them to put away for later in the year.

STILL not stocked up on cat food but that can wait until an offer on Wh*skas appears (fussy cats).

Weekend all to myself so shall tidy garden and cut grass, catch up on laundry and generally potter around I think. Looking forward to Strictly & XFactor also...:D

Happy prepping everyone, enjoy the heat/sunshine while it lasts if you are lucky enough to have it.:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure