PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter II

Options

Comments

• jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd be interested in these too. Might be worth investing in one initially.
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere on here about these fans, it might have been on one of the previous preparing for winter threads. If you search forums for "radiator booster" you will find several references - I think ecofan is similar. Have a dig!

Eliza
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought some multi-packs of thermal socks for me and DD on Monday from Mr A for £2 for 3 pairs of socks. :D They may not be the cheapest around, but I'm hoping they'll keep me warm when the winter comes a calling again!
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been looking at reviews on the radiator boosters. Apparently they work OK in a small room but are said to be quite noisy (the fan) and of flimsy build. Put me off a bit now.
  • newworld_2
    newworld_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    got some brand new handwarmers today for 1.49 from a charity shop im not sure whether that was a bargain or not as i had never heard of handwarmers until i joined this thread. hope they are as good as what people say. i also bought 2 pairs of gloves @ 50p each for my son from sports direct. i already have 2 other pairs that i bought for him online from sports direct and they were nice. the ones i bought today he can use for school as he always loses them and it wont hurt me much if they dont find thei way home
  • Desperate_Housewife_2-2
    Options
    anyone know of a good way to insulate the letterbox cheaply? I have a flap and curtains but it does rattle when the wind is up!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do remember Mum sticking a towel in the letterbox and replacing it when it got too wet - this was overnight and then removed for a short period in the morning so the postman could still post letters! There are brushes you can get - we have a separate flap on the inside which covers the letterbox and opens into the house when letters or newspapers are pushed through. Then we have a door curtain over the top of the door and frame to keep more of the warmth in and the cold out.

HTH

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Wee_Pilsbury
    Options
    Hi all

Had my first visit to B&Ms today and spotted large cans of de-icer for 95p - in the grip of that horrid winter last year Mr Ts had them up to £3 :mad:. I'll be going back next week and starting to stock up, that's for sure.
    DFW Nerd Club # 1364
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I picked up a nice zipped hooded jacket sweatshirty thing in one of the charity shops yesterday. Have been looking for something like that but the only cheap one I could find was in Sainsburys and was 9 quid and very short and very thin.. I have been putting on my jumper/fleeces etc but getting hot and then taking them off and my arms getting cold etc. so this was only 4 quid and is nice and thick. But a bit loud cos its an American basketball or baseball etc and has huge team logos on it.

Also got a long sleeved M&S top reduced to 1 quid .

Loving the charity shop I found.. I dont tell anyone about it cos its so much cheaper than the rest ;)
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Had my first visit to B&Ms today and spotted large cans of de-icer for 95p - in the grip of that horrid winter last year Mr Ts had them up to £3 :mad:. I'll be going back next week and starting to stock up, that's for sure.

This sounds encouraging about B and M as one of the nearest Focuses to me is going to be one. I'm looking forward to taking a look, it sounds similar to Wilkinsons but being on the edge of the town parking isn't a problem. Sounds like my kind of shop for sure - and anything that makes preparing for winter that bit cheaper and therefore less depressing is great. It's been so cold over the last few days, I had to switch my electric blanket on for the second night in a row despite a huge duvet. And it's now July!! Brrr!

Did you see any other good stuff? I'm always on the lookout for cheap firelighters, pet food, gardening bits - it looks as though B& M will be good for all those.

Eliza
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport