PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter II

Options

Comments

• mamaninie
    mamaninie Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options

I have had the sewing machine out tonight, my patchwork quilt is well on its way now. Hoping to have it completed for september time, not sure how to back it. Any ideas?

I always back mine with sheets as I find even buying them new its the cheapest way to buy the fabric. I only use 100% cotton not polycotton as depending on what you have used on the front you don't want the front to shrink more than the back with washing - cotton will shrink more than polycotton. Also I find that polycotton goes bobbly with lots of use. You want a reasonably good quality thread count as otherwise the batting/wadding inside will bobble through eventually especially if you've used polyester batting. Pre-wash and iron before you sew it up anyway.

Try the charity shops - although the prices round here are not good - often dunelm mill plain bedding in the sale is cheaper and better quality. Depending on what you've got in your stash or can find on the market etc, you could also do wide strips of contrasting fabric sewn together for the backing. Don't forget to use the best-quality fabric you can get for the binding around the edge as this is where the wear is.
    Have fun!
    xx
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    i ordered my foil sheets for behind the radiators yesterday, our energy monitor turned up today.

so another thing to cross off the list.

has everyone else forgotten about preparing now that the sun has come out? :rotfl:
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • candie_gill
    candie_gill Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    mamaninie wrote: »
    I always back mine with sheets as I find even buying them new its the cheapest way to buy the fabric. I only use 100% cotton not polycotton as depending on what you have used on the front you don't want the front to shrink more than the back with washing - cotton will shrink more than polycotton. Also I find that polycotton goes bobbly with lots of use. You want a reasonably good quality thread count as otherwise the batting/wadding inside will bobble through eventually especially if you've used polyester batting. Pre-wash and iron before you sew it up anyway.

Try the charity shops - although the prices round here are not good - often dunelm mill plain bedding in the sale is cheaper and better quality. Depending on what you've got in your stash or can find on the market etc, you could also do wide strips of contrasting fabric sewn together for the backing. Don't forget to use the best-quality fabric you can get for the binding around the edge as this is where the wear is.
    Have fun!
    xx

Thankyou will bare all that in mind :) I have to unpick an entire row asit went on wonky, serves me right for cutting corners lol! Will get there in the end though, eventually....
    Mummy of a beautiful little boy and fanatical about christmas :D:xmassmile:snow_laug:santa2:
  • candie_gill
    candie_gill Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    i ordered my foil sheets for behind the radiators yesterday, our energy monitor turned up today.

so another thing to cross off the list.

has everyone else forgotten about preparing now that the sun has come out? :rotfl:

Noooo, im still preparing lol! Going to do the foil thing too, should stop the walls absorbing the heat and reflect it back into the room.

I have a few ongoing jobs im doing atm too, sewing a patchwork quilt, got some fleece to line my bedroom curtains with too. Also need to sew up the holes in our winter socks, aswell as all my jumpers etc. Also need to check for draughts when its a windy day, going to seel them with caulk. Then i have to find thermal curtains for my LO's room.. list is endless lol!
    Mummy of a beautiful little boy and fanatical about christmas :D:xmassmile:snow_laug:santa2:
  • muffin_man_7
    muffin_man_7 Posts: 784 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What sun it's chucking it down here although it was nice on monday til gone 6 came out of mrA and it was raining yesterday was too hot for me give me banging headache
    now trying to get washing dry i'm an airer down leg snapped off won't buy one like that again

i've got loads of those foil blankets i i use sticky hooknloop to put it up at the window and it did help didn' t do it winter just gone cos we had d/glazing put in by council and i thought we wouldn't need them i was wrong they will go up again this year even if i hide them in the curtains
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • bizzylizzy
    bizzylizzy Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been thinking and reading about window quilts....... I'm sure I can make some fairly simple ones but I am confused about how to fix them up, and how to "open" them during the day.
    I am renting, and we have plastic windows so an array of nails or hooks won't be a good idea. I am wondering if I could sew some cheap fleece blankets together to fit the window glass, and then hang the top over the net curtain wire. I would have to take them down in the day, just fold them up and store them somewhere ready for the next evening. Would that be insulating enough?
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    bizzylizzy,yes,fleece blankets draped over net curtsin wire works just fine. This is what I do at my single-glazed bedroom window. it fits behind the curtains which I draw closed in front. its important for the fleece to hang below the windowledge to stop the cold air coming from under,so get one plenty long enough. Last winter was so cold that upstairs I left them up during the day.
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    I've ordered gloves, hats etc from Sports Direct and I've finished making the first set of curtains [for our room]. I've cut down old curtains and resown them to fit.

Also covered our headboard in the same material [not preparing for winter - just quite pleased with myself]

I'm off to !kea tomorrow - its their first day of sale and am looking for more material to start making the rest of the curtains

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • angelaloveschocolate
    Options
    Anyone got this radiator booster? http://www.nigelsecostore.com/acatalog/MoneyMagpie_Radiator_Booster_Offer.html Was wondering if anyone thought it was worth buying now while it is on offer?
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone got this radiator booster? http://www.nigelsecostore.com/acatalog/MoneyMagpie_Radiator_Booster_Offer.html Was wondering if anyone thought it was worth buying now while it is on offer?

I don't have one, but would be interested too, if anyone has already tried them.

Also:
    Can anyone advise if these are any good?:

http://www.nigelsecostore.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.nigelsecostore.com%2facatalog%2fsitemap.html&WD=letterbox&SHOP=%20&PN=The_Ecoflap.html%23aECOFLAP#aECOFLAP

THANKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport