PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter II

Options

Comments

• Winged_one
    Winged_one Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    I am on the lookout for curtain material as we are re-doing our bedroom at the moment, and DH has suggested, all by himself, that I get interlining for them too (well, he calls it "the blanket that you have in the sitting room curtains!"). I was going to anyway, but nice to see that he's got his thinking cap on.

I am considering trying to get an electric blanket for this winter too for our bed, as we both like a cool room but getting cosy in bed (especially me). It would also mean that, those precious few days where I get to make some tea and go back to bed at the weekend (rare, but they happen), I could get the bed nice and cosy and actually go back asleep (which happens me in MILs house, where she HAS an electric blanket on our bed).

Otherwise, I am slowly increasing my stocks of pine cones for the open fire. DH has inflated the chimney balloon for the summer, and we'll leave that in place until we are ready to light the fire again. Hopefully we WILL be oragnised enough to have the new stove in by then, which will make a huge difference!
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    apart from
    PJ's I,m sorted,more or less,for winter. yipee. but what am I going to do when I have all my coal,gloves etc? I'll need a new thing to strive for.
  • Desperate_Housewife_2-2
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    apart from
    PJ's I,m sorted,more or less,for winter. yipee. but what am I going to do when I have all my coal,gloves etc? I'll need a new thing to strive for.

preparing for summer?!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    is that Poundshop or Poundland? cos i went to our large Pland looking for these the only shop of that type we have in our large town and they didnt have any

you can get them on ebay for about 97p including postage i got mine for the guinea pig hutch for winter. I stupidly didnt think to get them for the radiators too!
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 June 2011 at 8:10AM
    Options
    Don't forget to stock up on cough and flu meds etc. The ones I'm buying now have a ub date of 2013. I keep ahead with my prescription meds too, when I start on a new months meds I order the next lot so no panic if I'm snowed in for a couple of weeks :D

re salt for paths, yes cooking salt is fine, I've used value cooking salt for the last 2 years
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    my kale and brussel sprout plants are doing well. should be good winter food. I am also making lots of jam,cordials,fruit liquers and wine and want to do cider and beer if I can find the time.
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,664 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well I am busy recovering from the sickness/:eek::eek::eek: bug that is going around - Benjamin initially had it and decided to share with me and holly! Joy! I must be the only person sat in 26 degree heat wearing pyjama bottoms, a vest and hoody but I'm freezing.

Have also apparently discovered that our house is ridiculously hot - we are use to being in a single glazed shoddy flat and are now in a double glazed house (which is gorgeous) plus it has cavity wall insulation and loft insulation and its ridiculous how hot it gets in here accordign to my mother in law - who has now decided that she'll be inviting herself to my house to steal my tea come winter :eek:.

Am still looking for house winter proofing things though and have my lists ready and with me. Also on the table and chairs front - I posted a wanted add on freecycle and a mum down the school replied that she has a wooden table and 4 chairs that need rehoming and could I pick them up after the 14th when she gets back off holiday. So bargain! I have my table and chairs - oh and I have rehomed my mother in laws old table and chairs fro the garden too - a nice glass table and 4 chairs. Now just for the freezer..................:D

Right I am off to tackle upstairs and try and finally get us a bedroom then I only have hollys to tackle - well put things into once our mattress is moved!
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • mummystar
    mummystar Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Just been to the White Rose Centre in Leeds and in BHS they've a selection of hats, gloves and scarves for £1. Hope it helps someone!
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you you lovely people for the B&M tip. Hubby and I went to the next town over to visit the outlaws, and discovered they have one there. To say I'd never heard of the chain before, its only 8 miles away!!

We had a good look round and although we were only going for ideas we came away with a thick dog bed for our new pooch. We'd been quoted £28 on the market for his size, but this is a 4 inch thick pad, memory foam, with a washable fleece cover and it was less than £10. Extremely impressed.

We've made a list of things we'd like to get next time we go over, as we were rather laden down and knew we wouldn't have much room on the bus to bring more back.

Other prep has slowed somewhat. Still thinking of a curtain between the living room and dining room, and I want some thicker curtains for my bedroom. Quite apart from anything else they will keep the light out. (I have the type of insomnia where I get to sleep just fine but then wake up at ridiculous o'clock and can't get back to sleep.)

H
    x
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • candie_gill
    candie_gill Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    is that Poundshop or Poundland? cos i went to our large Pland looking for these the only shop of that type we have in our large town and they didnt have any

Hiya it was poundland in the camping section...
    Mummy of a beautiful little boy and fanatical about christmas :D:xmassmile:snow_laug:santa2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure