PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparing for winter II

Options

Comments

• anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    looking at mysupermarket, seems 3kg will cost about £1.35 - does that seem good to most? or will somewhere else net me a saving?

last winter we really struggled as this flat is at the bottom of a hill and the hill gets SO icy! (Naturally town is at the top of the hill!)
    I nipped into Tesco this afternoon and they've got 1kg bags of value table salt for 23p. I'm not sure if this will work as well as the dishwasher salt but it would work out cheaper.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anguk wrote: »
    I nipped into Tesco this afternoon and they've got 1kg bags of value table salt for 23p. I'm not sure if this will work as well as the dishwasher salt but it would work out cheaper.

Hmm, I'll look into it :) thanks :)
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    anguk wrote: »
    I found the table salt worked at first, but refroze overnight:( Slippy slidey on the wettey grippers.LOL The dishwasher salt seemd to last a lot longer, a few days at least.

Bit dearer, but well worth not ending up decked.
  • muffin_man_7
    muffin_man_7 Posts: 784 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kitchenbunny have you got a bnm by you the hand warmers are only £1 in there some packs have 2 some have 3 h&b do them to although they are square also a**i had them for £1.30 they are really good and easy to recharge too i always keep some in my bag in winter hth
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    Sammy-Kaye, I have been AWOL from posting on here for quite a while.
    I'm so glad to see that you have moved from your flat and wish you all the happiness in the world.
    To you, Owen (wasn't it?) and the babes.
    :):):):):)

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kitchenbunny have you got a bnm by you the hand warmers are only £1 in there some packs have 2 some have 3 h&b do them to although they are square also a**i had them for £1.30 they are really good and easy to recharge too i always keep some in my bag in winter hth

Hi Muffin Man, thanks for this. I do have a place like BNM nearby (I can't remember the name of it though but I know we have something similar :D ). I can't believe I didn't think of using them before though. I'll definitely pop there in my lunch hour and get some, and see about some more fleece throws too.

I've just re-read Sammykaye's post and noticed she has gripper socks on her list - thanks for that, that's another one on my list too. I have a wonderful pair but could do with another. I find that normal socks slide about a bit when walking in my snowboots so something with another layer of tread should make that a little easier.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but what does BNM stand for?

Thanks
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • Chillout5892
    Options
    For your emergency supplies
    well I have made some progress at least today.

That way I know whilst my boyfriend is on his way to and from work that he has adequate supplies to see him through until help can arrive to him. He does also have a cell phone too but I'm thinking I might get a cheap PAYG phone and keep it for emergencies in the box too so that's added to my list. Am also considering some of those snap hand warmer things as they would provide at least a little heat and he wouldn't have to run the car then.

Also meant to add that I shall be adding salt to my list of things to stock up on. x

Don't want to add to your lists or expenses but if there is a real risk of him or anyone else getting stranded in the car, maybe a cheap wind up charger for the mobile phone in the car box would be a thought. Would save running the car to make a call if the phones battery's low, or a dead spare phone. I'm thinking of buying one. I know people who use them quite happily. However, if you look at reviews on Amazon, loads of complaints. I don't know if it's just complainers who are the first to leave reviews... Maybe better to pay a bit more and get from a local shop who will be happy to exchange.

I looked at the heatermeals initially as a joke, but.... maybe not. If there is a real risk of stranded in the snow in a car there are added benefits. From the site ...

"When the sachet of salt water (included in the pack) is poured onto the heating pad, it generates heat inside the HeaterMeals pack, and your meal becomes piping hot in minutes. When finished, the whole pack is environmentally friendly enough to be simply thrown away or recycled. As it stays warm for up to 45 minutes it can be used as a hand or body warmer - you can even sit on it!"

So considering they also do gluten-free (me) veg and halal, I think £4.50 a meal isn't bad as a tasty high fat life saver. As they last for 5years I wouldn't expect the to be GM-free or anything else pleasant though.

Regarding salt. I pick up the odd kilo of sainsburys basic salt in their value range for about 10p. It does cheese me off that I live in a block of 8 flats and I'm the only one who ever gets the salt. Can't even get anyone else to use it.

There is one added item I'm thinking of that I feel really guilty about it. A new fridge freezer. I've got one that works, it's just not big enough. Gulp! Being gluten free is so blinking expensive. Think I'll offer the old one on freecycle.
    :cool: Chillout5892
    :smileyheaDMP PayPlan £17,652 @£100 pm > June 2027.
    Women don't mature.
    They either go hard or soft in the wrong places.
    Simone de Beauvoir
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    looking at mysupermarket, seems 3kg will cost about £1.35 - does that seem good to most? or will somewhere else net me a saving?

I went into Focus on the way to my parents after posting on here. They had 10kg bags of de icing salt for £1.17! Down from about £5 too. I just got one bag, but I thought it was a pretty good offer :)

They also had big cans of de icer for 38p and some ice scrapers for 20p (I used my library card last winter, my first winter with a car. I didn't think!)
  • bargainhunterss
    Options
    BNM = B & M bargains :)
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate