PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparing for winter II

Options

Comments

• Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    looking at mysupermarket, seems 3kg will cost about £1.35 - does that seem good to most? or will somewhere else net me a saving?

last winter we really struggled as this flat is at the bottom of a hill and the hill gets SO icy! (Naturally town is at the top of the hill!)
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • inspirespirit
    Options
    I am reading this thread with much interest. I HAVE to get my fuel bills down this Winter as I'm still paying off excess from last Winter.

Also, any tips regarding cars will be very welcome. Last year the motor bit of my windscreen wipers froze and cracked. At first when the wipers wouldn't work, I just thought it would cost me about a tenner for new blades, but oh no, it was the actual thing that made them go backwards and forwards. Nissan quoted me 250 pounds with a 4 week wait as they were like rocking horse droppings to get hold of because it was happening to so many people. Thankfully I managed to get one for 70 quid off that auction site and my local mechanic charged me 25 pounds to fit. So still just under a hundred pounds for something that could have been avoided had I taken necessary precautions to stop car from freezing up. I've learned my lesson and am nowpreparing myself for this Winter thanks to this very handy thread.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    re keeping bills down. I've recently ordered some wolly pullovers for me and DH to wear in the house during the winter. They are reduced from £30 to £7.50. I've also picked up other items half price and some reduced to £5. Its the Edinborough Woollen Mill site if anyone is interested. I've saved a packet and look forward to saving even more when I dont need the heating on!
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Does anyone know they sell those ice grip things to go on wellies or boots? I'm looking at discounted if possible.
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    try this :)

i got some a couple of months ago and have them in my winter box ready
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• muffin_man_7
    muffin_man_7 Posts: 784 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    try this :)

i got some a couple of months ago and have them in my winter box ready

best thing i ever got my eldest said they are great
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,679 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 June 2011 at 5:09PM
    Options

So far I have this list to do things to the house
    fleeces inside living room windows
    fleeces on hollys window
    fleeces on bens window
    fleece inside our bedroom window
    fleece on top bens bed
    fleece on top our bed
    fleece on top hollys cot
    fleece under ben sheet
    fleece under our sheet
    fleece under hollys sheet
    big rug for living room floor
    [STRIKE]draft excluders[/STRIKE] Home Bargains have gravel weighted fleece draught excluders for £1.99 in a variety of colours and they have loops at the end for attaching - I got 4 - one for living room, one for each of the kids doors and a spare for ?????? possibly bathroom as I have a feeling the dog would destroy it if I put it in the kitchen
    fleeces for sofa snuggling
    move pooches bed
    make a door curtain for front door
    2 extendable shower rails or net curtain wire - INVESTIGATED - Home Bargains sell them for £3.99 and they will fit a 112cm - 200cm space - must measure doorways first
    bath mat + toilet mat for bathroom to add warmth under foot
    small curtain to fit small window in hallway
    make a door curtain for back door
    curtains in bens room
    curtains in our room
    curtains in cupboard in our bedroom
    dressing gown for ben washed found it out ready to wash
    bens slippers washedfound out ready to wash
    shelves for kitchen alcoves to make a store cupboard note to self - you dont know how to put shelves up and Ow is a complete DIY phobic - look at how to site!

possible new fridge freezer?? INVESTIGATED - seen one for £229 which goes down to £218 with my coop discount but its plenty big enough for us - savings needed

this list for things to get for us
    gloves/scarf/hat (me)
    gloves/hat/scarf (ben)
    gloves/hat (holly)
    winter coat - ben
    winter coat - holly
    winter coat - me
    fleece sleepsuits for holly
    pyjamas (me)
    pyjamas (ben)
    vests (ben)
    long sleeve body suits (holly)
    me - slippers
    me - jumpers/hoodys
    ben - jumpers/hoodies
    gripper/bed socks - me
    gripper/bed socks - ben
    gripper socks - holly
    Hot water bottles
    sports skins - ben (he will be into his rugby/football seasons then)
    insulated cup for me for watching :D
    reflective jacket/strips to wear for the school run Home Bargains selling a pack of 4 paw prints of hands for 49p each - will pick up next trip
    reflective tape or clip ons for the buggy to be seen (road is poorly lit here)

And this list as general stock
    [STRIKE]candles![/STRIKE] Got 200 tea lights for £4 today in Wilkinsons
    [STRIKE]torch[/STRIKE] 3 small torches BTGOF (buy two get one free) blue for ben, red for holly, and silver for under the sink - kids to be kept in bedrooms
    batteries! (ben has a touch light in his room and am considering getting another cheap pack to keep one at top of stairs/bottom of stairs in case of power cuts)
    extra tins to stock up store cupboard
    extra dog/terrapin food
    baby food jars/milk

well I have made some progress at least today.

I have squirreled away the draft excluders, and the candles ready for later use. Have put Benjamin's torch in his bedroom already but told him its only for emergencies that he uses it.

Also brought a small lidded box in home bargains today for 99p that I plan to make a car survival kit from for my boyfriend to keep in the back/boot of his car. Im thinking of including the following
    - granola/cereal bars
    - bottled water
    - fleece blanket
    - dry socks
    - dry tshirt
    - roll of black bags - method to madness - can be worn as a poncho etc
    - gloves/hat/buff
    - window scraper
    - small torch
    - £2 in small change
    - small shovel/trowel to at least help clear snow
    - bag of salt

That way I know whilst my boyfriend is on his way to and from work that he has adequate supplies to see him through until help can arrive to him. He does also have a cell phone too but I'm thinking I might get a cheap PAYG phone and keep it for emergencies in the box too so that's added to my list. Am also considering some of those snap hand warmer things as they would provide at least a little heat and he wouldn't have to run the car then.

Also meant to add that I shall be adding salt to my list of things to stock up on. x
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sammy- i think you paid a bit much for the tea lights.. £ shop have a bag of about 80/100 for £1 im sure of it..

i used dishwasher salt.. people thought i was crazy for mentioning snow in august but i had the last laugh when i had loads of it stored up ready to use and there was non left on the shelf when it snowed..
    its a dear do tho so may mix it with table salt to make it go further this time round..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,679 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    sammy- i think you paid a bit much for the tea lights.. £ shop have a bag of about 80/100 for £1 im sure of it..

I find the poundland tea lights are smaller and burn a lot quicker than wilkinsons ones so I got mine from wilkinsons. Will freeze them nearer the time though.

Have decided my new savings will go towards a new fridge freezer or dining table though.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A good idea to work on a small box of things for the car. I already keep a blanket rolled up in a side compartment and have just bought a small first aid kit to go in too, but I think I'll also carry some of these for when it gets really cold. Also it's worth doing some precautionary checks on the car now and keep doing them to get into the habit so tyres are in good working order, as are brakes, etc. There's a motoring board on MSE which I'll be checking out too for other hints and tips.

I just got sidetracked looking at "self heating meals" and found some of these . I don't think I'll be buying them but it's good to know someone has thought of it! Bit pricey though.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport