PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparing for winter II

Options

Comments

• Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I always keep dipping into this thread and have been reading on and off for a while. I thought it was about time I posted!

Me and my OH rent a very drafty 1920s house from my family. We pay more of a token rent than anything, and with it being family we don't mind doing our own home DIY within reason!

I'm starting to prep us for winter now. I have a crazy set of mental lists for different things, one for things we need to buy, one for things to buy with vouchers, and one of things we need to do too the house. So many thanks, we might actually get our house above freezing this year!

I do have one question, in regards to people stocking up on salt. I gather this is for icy paths? What's the best salt to buy, and would it be worth while buying a bag of sand to mix with it? Which reminds me I need to add snow shovel to our list. Guessing they'll be cheaper to buy now then later. I remember seeing one kid selling them for £15 each around here when everyone had snow up to their knees. Can't blame him if people were buying!
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I buy the cheapest table salt I can find.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • bargainhunterss
    Options
    Asda usually do huge cream ones for £2
    I cant seem to find them on the website :( what are they listed as?
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Cinny91 wrote: »
    I do have one question, in regards to people stocking up on salt. I gather this is for icy paths? What's the best salt to buy, and would it be worth while buying a bag of sand to mix with it? Which reminds me I need to add snow shovel to our list. Guessing they'll be cheaper to buy now then later. I remember seeing one kid selling them for £15 each around here when everyone had snow up to their knees. Can't blame him if people were buying!
    I'm lucky in that we only live a few minutes away from the council depot and it's huge salt store. They normally have a few big bins out for people to help themselves but if they're empty I just ask the foreman and he gets me a couple of big buckets full. All free. My OH is an amputee and has a false leg so walking on snow & ice is an ordeal for him and dangerous.

I wouldn't mix it with sand if you're putting it on your path or driveway, it'll just track into your house.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all.

Re salt, we buy bags of rock salt, but also buy cheap table salt for emergencies. It usually sells out round here at the first sign of ice, so we buy a bag every month during summer. All I need now is for summer to appear!

Bargainhunterss - they have a chocolate coloured throw on for a couple of quid.
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cinny91 wrote: »

Dishwasher salt works out cheaper I believe and it is in nice crunchy granules x
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! And the second opinion on the sand, I didn't even think of that. I know my Grandparents just put sand down, I thought a mix of two might mean ultra grippage :D

In all honesty I've never heard of dishwasher salt in my life! But then my parents never had a dishwasher (they did, however, have 3 kids that served for washing, drying, and putting away! Pretty smart!) and we don't now we've moved out. I'm going to the supermarket tonight so I'll have a scout around and check prices ect. We only have a small path, but obviously it'll be good to have a little extra for the people living either side of us just to be safe for them. Thanks again everyone :)
  • LittleBrownFrog
    Options
    I buy cheap dishwasher salt when I see it. I also use ash from the fire.
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i am another one who used dishwasher salt from lidl last year. it was great and one box did all of our front path - its a big slope down to the house and quite nerve racking for the postman!
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    sammykaye it seems a lot to get and do but its what I did last year and am so glad I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport