• assault with a deadly weapon
    • assault on a law enforcement officer
    The following aren't
    • assault, simple
    • assault and battery, simple
    • assault on a police officer
    • assault with intent to commit a felony
    • attempted assault, where recklessness is an element
    Affray could be seen as disorderly conduct/brawling in public or at worst simple assault.

If you are in the least bit worried about this send an "anonymous" email as per

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=53614869&postcount=34

Also read here
    http://www.fongandchun.com/lawyer-attorney-1422915.html

• adea
    adea Posts: 448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry if this question has already been answered. There are 4 of us traveling to Orlando in August and we all need an ESTA. Do I apply for all 4 together or is it done on an individual basis, thus incurring 4x fee + 4 x overseas transaction fee from the bank?
    Sorry for appearing daft:o
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    adea wrote: »
    Sorry if this question has already been answered. There are 4 of us traveling to Orlando in August and we all need an ESTA. Do I apply for all 4 together or is it done on an individual basis, thus incurring 4x fee + 4 x overseas transaction fee from the bank?
    Sorry for appearing daft:o
    Each individual needs their own ESTA, including children. You will need to enter each individuals details, including their passport number to obtain ESTA.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Smeeagain
    Options
    So Whilst it is obviously illegal to lie on the form do they have access to UK criminal records via the ESTA system if you didn't declare it on the form? ie they would know you had 'failed to declare' it (in which case I guess they'd fail you immediately if they did know)

Smee
    Hi

I received my ban for driving with excess alcohol in breath in Jan this year for 1 year reduced to 9 months apon completion of a drink driving course over here in N.Ireland. I have attended this course and the tutor has said that as far as he is aware I will not be able to get an ESTA. I travel in 5 weeks time from Dublin to Manchester then Orlando with my gf and daughter for 2 weeks.....to say the least I am panicking. I dont want to take a chance and get turned away. Should I just ring the local US Consulate in Belfast?
  • Smeeagain
    Options
    Sorry to labour the point but whilst the reply says that something from that long ago doesn't count , it also doesn't state whether or not you are required to declare it ?

Smee
    Neither affray or DUI falls into the realms of moral turpitude. A DUI that long ago doesn't fall into the "drug abuser" category either (even if it did originally, which could be a separate 10 day debate).
  • winston_1
    winston_1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    My wife is flying into JFK on 29th June. She has an ESTA which expires on 30th June. I read in this forum that this is OK, it only has to be valid on the day of entry.
    Can anyone point me at a website that actually confirms this as I cannot find it anywhere? Thanks.
  • Mister_Z
    Options
    I recently went online to check this out and get a new one as the last time I had one was in 2008. On the website you are presented with 2 options one which is to:
    "Update or Check the Status of a Previously Submitted Authorization to Travel to the United States"
    it says:
    Select this option if:
    You previously submitted an application for an electronic travel authorization and you want to perform one of the following:

• Determine the status of your travel authorization application.
    • Update your travel authorization application.
    • You saved your application information and want to return to it to pay the fee.

I clicked on the "retrieve application number" and you then enter name passport details etc and I got the number and inserted it in the box along with my other details and after doing all requested got confirmation that my travel authorisation had been approved and that it expires on the day that we leave to return home from USA.
    I did not have to pay for it and would like to know if anyone else out there has had the same experience.
    PS I have print outs of the document verifying the approved authorisation.
    Is this a loop hole I have found?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    winston_1 wrote: »
    My wife is flying into JFK on 29th June. She has an ESTA which expires on 30th June. I read in this forum that this is OK, it only has to be valid on the day of entry.
    Can anyone point me at a website that actually confirms this as I cannot find it anywhere? Thanks.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/business_pleasure/vwp/faq_vwp.xml

Q: Do travelers need to update their ESTA if it will expire before they depart the United States? A: If an ESTA expires before the traveler leaves the United States, the traveler is not required to apply for another ESTA. However, the traveler will need to apply for a new ESTA for future travel
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • scottishperson2
    scottishperson2 Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2012 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Smeeagain wrote: »
    Sorry to labour the point but whilst the reply says that something from that long ago doesn't count , it also doesn't state whether or not you are required to declare it ?

Smee

If I had a dui, which I don't, that occured within the last 3 years I would have concerns about using the VWP. If I had a dui, which I don't, that occured 10 years ago I would not be concerned about using the VWP.

CBP doesn't see simple DUI as a CiMT, however, it COULD fail on question A.

Scenario, they let someone with a drink problem in, who hires a car, gets drunk and overtakes a stopped school bus mowing down 5 US kids. Not good. Thats why they send people down to get blood tests before issuing a visa.
  • winston_1
    winston_1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/business_pleasure/vwp/faq_vwp.xml

Q: Do travelers need to update their ESTA if it will expire before they depart the United States? A: If an ESTA expires before the traveler leaves the United States, the traveler is not required to apply for another ESTA. However, the traveler will need to apply for a new ESTA for future travel

Thanks, one less thing to pay for then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport