New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Options

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "The couple plan to lodge a complaint with the Foreign Office."

I'd love to see the details of the complaint.

Dear Mr. Foreign Office,

We were illegally in the US, put in a detention centre until a flight home was available, then sent home. We were treated like criminals,

Yours in disgust.

Mr and Mrs Illegal Alien.

Can't see the US changing the law on that one.

:D ooooooooooooooooo
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Panda_56
    Panda_56 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All, I wonder if anyone can help? I have a US passport and a EU/UK passport as I have lived in London for 30 years. Do I need an ESTA?

I am required to enter and leave the US with my US passport. As I am not a big fan of US immigration either, I tend not to show them the UK passport, as it just confuses them. :)

Does this ESTA thing apply to me? Thanks
  • scottishperson2
    scottishperson2 Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2012 at 7:37PM
    Options
    Panda_56 wrote: »
    Hi All, I wonder if anyone can help? I have a US passport and a EU/UK passport as I have lived in London for 30 years. Do I need an ESTA?

I am required to enter and leave the US with my US passport. As I am not a big fan of US immigration either, I tend not to show them the UK passport, as it just confuses them. :)

Does this ESTA thing apply to me? Thanks

No.

answer too short.....added this bit.
  • Retro_Bunny
    Retro_Bunny Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just noticed that my query isn't on this forum, so I'll fire it in there (although I'm 99% sure of answer).

I'm flying into Toronto, Canada with the intention of visiting Michigan via land border crossing, before flying back out of Toronto again (partly due to an MSE saving of £600 on flights). As I'm not arriving in USA by air, I don't need an ESTA, right?

Is a land border crossing from Canada to USA fairly straight forward for UK passport holder?
    Should I allow extra time for delays etc. or is it a case of come-on-in?

Thanks.
    --- Warning: Grumpy Old Man in Training ---
  • scottishperson2
    scottishperson2 Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2012 at 8:25PM
    Options
    I'm flying into Toronto, ........ As I'm not arriving in USA by air, I don't need an ESTA, right?

Yes, correct. Although you need to pay at the border crossing in US dollars.
    Is a land border crossing from Canada to USA fairly straight forward for UK passport holder?

Possibly (ok usually, although if you fly into some strange small canadian airport expect a bit of questioning). Also, are you travelling in a holiday period?

See http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/ for waiting times (which is about as useful as a useless thing.)
    Should I allow extra time for delays etc. or is it a case of come-on-in?

Who knows. :) No-one can predict the future.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2012 at 11:14AM
    Options
    Yes, it's fairly straightforward but don't expect it to be quick

You will have to wait in a queue with all the other cars. When you get to the head of the queue you will probably be directed to park up and go to an office where you will have to queue again.

The 'waiting time' in the previous post refers to getting to the head of the queue - not to the time in the office. US/Canadian drivers will be waved straight through and won't need to go to the office

My only experience was at a remote crossing on a back road in the middle of nowhere - we were the only car there, but it still took half an hour. All very friendly and the like - just painfully slow. They obviously weren't used to issuing visa waivers - took them a while to find the forms. I would think that even at the busier crossings they are not going to be as slick as at airports
  • waterch3
    Options
    Just to reiterate what it says elsewhere I have just managed to apply for my family ESTA via what looks a very credible site.....cost me 130 USD for family of 4! Grumpy or what:(....trying to reclaim cash but no doubt that will be a waste of time. BEWARE!!
  • silentbob33
    silentbob33 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I am flying to toronto and travelling into the US by road. I am a UK resident.

Do I require an ESTA??
  • scottishperson2
    Options
    Hi

I am flying to toronto and travelling into the US by road. I am a UK resident.

Do I require an ESTA??

No

(10 character minimum post)
  • allyoopscecil
    Options
    Hi

I received my ban for driving with excess alcohol in breath in Jan this year for 1 year reduced to 9 months apon completion of a drink driving course over here in N.Ireland. I have attended this course and the tutor has said that as far as he is aware I will not be able to get an ESTA. I travel in 5 weeks time from Dublin to Manchester then Orlando with my gf and daughter for 2 weeks.....to say the least I am panicking. I dont want to take a chance and get turned away. Should I just ring the local US Consulate in Belfast?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure