We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 14

1…452453455457458…907

Comments

  • BrunoM
    BrunoM Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Pressure fit baby gate that has good reviews is in stock at the local Argos so will be off there this morning.
  • aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2010 at 9:00AM
    BrunoM wrote: »
    There is no re-settling without giving in to him though, so it'll be the lengthy screaming each time. I have this week been trying to not get into the lengthy cuddling, in exactly the hopes that by not giving him what he wants he will stop asking.
    What happens is, I go in, he is standing up demanding cuddles, I tell him to lie down and sleep, he wails, I try to physically manoeuvre him into lying down, he clings and fights and screams, I have to choose between physically forcing him flat (achieves nothing, he stands up instantly if I let go), giving up (achieves nothing, he continues standing and wailing), or cuddling him.
    I go for as short a cuddle as possible, I am managing just a count of 5 most times the last couple of days, before lying him down.

    However, clearly that's not working, so I suppose I have to try more extreme measures, but the thing is that there is no halfway house - I can't resettle with contact more minimal than he is getting, so all I can do is lock the door and ignore him.

    :( You may just have to go whole hog then...not sure what the usual "method" (baby whisperer, supernanny or whoever) is for someone E's age...might be worth some Googling to see what is suggested? It seems that even the briefest of cuddles is still his "crutch" for getting back to sleep, so that's what needs to go.

    Eta: oh I see Mel said what I wasn't brave enough to! This has been my ethos kind of since F was 6 months old, but each parent has their own style :o.

    The Next sale is crap, but I still found a couple things I wanted...except I haven't changed our address with them so cannot order, wahhhh.
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

    would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Bruno

    I doubt you would follow my advice because I am pretty strict when it comes to bedtimes...I would tell him STERNLY to stay in bed and just walk out leaving him to whinge/cry/beg etc...and just keep going in and repeating, telling him sternly it's bedtime, stay in bed, be quiet and go to sleep. Failing that ignore completely..... Maybe I should borrow the 'victorian mum' crown from MFD:p

    I have never picked up a child at night to settle them, because I see it that they would get used to the nice warm cuddles and keep waking, possibly unintentionally, for cuddles!

    Unfortunately my advice isn't much help to parents who prefer a softer approach and who don't like to tell their children off or leave them to cry:o. I personally can't understand why some parents let the children rule the dynamics of the house? And I hope no one takes that the wrong way.....everyone has their own parenting style........

    Have some (HUGS) Bruno......Because I think the amount of time you spend with E, as well as working full time, is wonderful:)



    As a quick disclaimer I thought I best add that I am in no way cruel to my kids, I don't smack them, starve them or hurt them in any other way.....but I won't let them rule the house, we all live here together and as such, certain things have to work/be followed in order that we all get along;):D
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • BrunoM
    BrunoM Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I do take the point, Mel... thing is that some parents using 'softer' styles do make it work OK - either style can work - maybe it's child-dependent and my child is just wired to exploit softness, or maybe I am doing something 'wrong' compared to the successful ones!
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    I definitely agree it is child dependant.....I never really had to take a hard stance on sleeping with ds1....but I did on his daytime behaviour, with ds2 it was the other way round.... With ds3 he is such a compliant child 90% of the time, although he is starting with tantrums, but I can often use distraction technique....if that fails he goes in baby jail;)

    I definitely don't think you are doing anything wrong:A
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • Evansangel
    Evansangel Posts: 6,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I have to advice to add Bruno, but i hope you get it sorted soon :)

    We had a rubbish night here. Lily kept waking for her dummy all night, but she was spitting it out!

    Kindof, we have a cot mobile but its keeps her awake more than anything because she likes to put her head in it so it strokes her hair as it goes round :rotfl:

    Im very confused, my last SMP was meant to be 17th Sept. But they paid me again yesterday...
    Apparently my P45 has been sent to my old address, which they have as my mums address. I have lived in 3 houses since then, fools.

    And Lily has just thrown herself out of her play ring and only cried when i laughed at her :rotfl:
  • Mazcabs
    Mazcabs Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    edited 25 September 2010 at 9:16AM
    MichelleM wrote: »
    Has anyone had experience of sending their baby to a nursery at an early age (6 months)? I am back at work in december :eek::( and really cant decide whether to go for a childminder or nursery? I dont want her to go to a CM as it is one adult but then a nursery could mean she isn getting enough 121- my worst nightmare is for her to be left to cry- even for a short time- as she only really cries when there is a serious reason. I would love to have reduced hours at work but it would NEVER happen due to the way our timetable works for the pupils. Failing that, what job could I do at home?

    Michelle - I'm a terrible mum because both of mine started nursery when they were 5 months... They have been really good with both of them. Boys have generally always been fine (small period of crying with Henry but that was more when he was older).

    There are no more than 8 babies in Williams on any day and 3 girls in there with him but they also mix with the other children aswell.
    Mum to 2 lovely boys who keep me busy.
  • bexta
    bexta Posts: 753 Forumite
    Morning.

    MDW, that sounds like my OH. Effin bikes, it wasn't so bad when I could ride with him, but I can't now.:mad:

    EA, I'd leave the monitors on if you're moving Lily into her own room. She might be a bit freaked out at first, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

    Madam decided, after being totally wide awake (but not, ikywm) until 11.30, to sleep all the way through until 7.00! Totally kn@ckered now because I couldn't sleep for worrying about her, little monkey.

    :heart2:Sophie May:heart2:
    2/07/2010







  • Here I am again to advocate singing outside his door! My problem was as soon as I went into his room I couldn't escape without tears and waking. So I put him down, kisses, cuddles, tell him I love him and I will see him in the morning and walk out singing twinkle twinkle. Close the door, whilst still singing and carry on singing, loudly if he was crying, softly if he was quiet. He knows I am there, the repetitive nature of the song soothed us both and using only one song means I hadn't got a clue how long I had been there. He calms, I continue, I try to stop, he cries, I start again, eventually he either sleeps or just gets bored of hearing me (never open the door to check)

    First night was about 20 mins, second about 10, now I only sing when he gets upset, very rarely, maybe once in the last month.

    Technique worked on holiday too.


    Sorry if badly written, on phone in bath LOL
    r.mac wrote: »
    please listen to MFD - she is a wise woman :D
    Proud Mummy to the gorgeous Benjamin John born 14 March 2009, 8lbs 14oz
    A new little seedling on the way, due 30 September 2012
  • jillie1974
    jillie1974 Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Kian never noticed when we moved him into his own room and he has learnt how to settle himself most of the time. We still have the montors on so can hear him, although when we have left it downstairs i have always heard him cry---mummy instinct.

    today, as i am so used to him being awake before 7 i was wide awake at 6.45....typically he stayed asleep for anothe hour...i read my book
    'Children are not things to be moulded, but are people to be unfolded'
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.