Car Tax, crazy cost!!

Options
bigmaz
bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am about to tax a car I have just bought. And seen the cost to tax it, £112.75 for 6 months!!!! Unbelievable!! We are just able to afford this (for now anyway) but what about really low income families, this is outrageous!! There are cars you can get out there that only cost £20 per year and the like, but I cannot afford to buy such a new car to benefit from this, which sticks people into a horrible situation.... To me this looks like the well off wins again, people that can afford a new car get dirt cheap tax.... Unless I am missing something? I am really horrified about this!!

Martin

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can't afford car tax can you actually afford the car?

The banded system has been around for almost 10 years so there will be older cars within the cheaper bands.
  • bigmaz
    Options
    So what are the cheap older car options for a family with 3 kids under the cheap tax bracket?
  • bosseyed
    bosseyed Posts: 475 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah its a bit of a !!!!!!. If you have an older cheaper car you'll get stung for tax, no way round it.

To get cheaper tax I'd imagine you'll have to drive something off this list which falls into the price you're willing to pay:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Perhaps a rummage through this list of top 5 green cars by category on http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/

Other than that, its just one of those costs that all drivers have to swallow I'm afraid. Be glad you're not driving something new with terrible CO2 emissions, over £400 a year.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Shouldn't this be the question you asked BEFORE committing to a car within a high tax band?

But for a starter for ten Renault Scenic.
  • qazitory
    qazitory Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    bigmaz wrote: »
    So what are the cheap older car options for a family with 3 kids under the cheap tax bracket?

If the car is pre 2001, you need to get a engine less than a 1500cc, then I believe it's £125 for the year?

It pays to look at the cost of the tax before you buy a new car, also what insurance group it's in.
    Quidco Earnings (since Dec 06): £467.75
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    If you're struggling to find £112 to tax a car, you shouldn't be running one in the first place as its obvious you can't afford to maintain it properly. Its easy just to spend £112 on one tyre so you'd be stuffed if you needed four.
  • bigmaz
    Options
    I can afford to run the car, I just felt like having a rant about the price of car tax. And the cheaper tax option only available to people that can afford a more expensive car to qualify for it.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2010 at 2:38PM
    Options
    The option of cheaper tax is available to anyone, don't buy a gas guzzling tank :money:(that said, the RFL should be done away with and the cost transferred to fuel duty, but that would be a real green tax instead of a money making scam)
  • King_Nothing
    Options
    Mine was £245 this year, wish they would just load it onto the petrol as tax, then more usage or more uneconomical = more petrol = more tax.
  • bigmaz
    Options
    And how much does a car with a "non guzzling" tank cost that can carry 3 kids and a double pram in the boot?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure