What's the worst thing you've ever wasted money on?

Comments

• the two biggest mistakes I can think of (but believe me there are many more ;)) was when I was 23 I'd gone to see Mary J Blige in concert with some girlfriends in London and the plan was we were going to go to a club afterwards and catch the early morning train (6am) back home the following day. However at the time I had a massively broken heart after just ending a relationship with (at the time "The Love of my Life"...) and did not consider that most of Ms Blige's songs were about heart break. Que me feeling devastated nd my excitement for all night clubbing erradicated. I made some excuse to the girls about going somewhere else and hot footed it back to Charring Cross to get the last train. Which I missed by minutes. Such was my devastation that I paid for a taxi home (£100+) :o

The other was I wrote my car off last year & needing a car for work I bought a KA in haste (£2500 on my cc) so paid an additional £80 in interest and am driving a piece of junk which I hate and had I looked around I could have got same car, same year & same mileage for around £900 :o:o
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • thedeans
    thedeans Posts: 42 Forumite
    no unfortunatley - the seal was broke - so no refund could be given - trust me I tried

On the plus side it taught me another valuable lesson - you don't miss what you don't have - I'll keep to my cheap value stuff - it does the same thing - except it doesn't promise to reduce my wrinkles grrrr
  • Silvafox
    Silvafox Posts: 321 Forumite
    thedeans wrote: »
    ... whereas I am milk bottle coloured ...

Wow, you must look really weird being semi transparent! :rotfl:
    PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

It works for me - you try it!
  • Oh how I'm cringing as I think of how much my monthly Vodafone mobile bills were... for about five months they weren't any less than £800, I particularly remember one before Christmas, just on text messages, for £975... I could have bought a new car or three for this amount. Thanking the lord for unlimited texts these days......

CA x
    Proud to have dealt with with my debts
    Debt free from 18th March 2013, long may it continue!
  • thedeans
    thedeans Posts: 42 Forumite
    I know - and the "property of the dairy" bit is hard to disguise:rotfl:

But thanks for that - its just the kind of tonic I needed today:A
  • Well, the one arm bandits got me in debt, must have lost thousands in them things, not to mention the parties I had when I was about 20. But that's neither here nor there.

The absolute worst thing I've spent money on was a new clutch and gearbox from Nationwide autocentre, where they took 3 weeks to do it, denied breaking my speedometer which was working when I got there, and charging me £1100 for the privelidge.

The best thing I've paid for was AA breakdown repair cover which paid £475 off the above
    Debts remaining: £0/£16000
    PPI reclaimed: Halifax £2300, Welcome Finance - £2400
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh how I'm cringing as I think of how much my monthly Vodafone mobile bills were... for about five months they weren't any less than £800, I particularly remember one before Christmas, just on text messages, for £975... I could have bought a new car or three for this amount. Thanking the lord for unlimited texts these days......

CA x

Assuming 10p a text and 8 hours sleep daily I get that to text every 3 minutes!

HOW? you not get RSI?
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Percy1983 wrote: »
    Assuming 10p a text and 8 hours sleep daily I get that to text every 3 minutes!

HOW? you not get RSI?

No RSI... just a whacking credit card debt!
    Proud to have dealt with with my debts
    Debt free from 18th March 2013, long may it continue!
  • Thedeans - take the stuff back to the counter, definitely, regardless of whether it's opened. The shop assistant should have pointed out it was for dark skin... I would blame her! (and whilst you're there ask for a few samples...no harm :))

If you get no joy at the counter, a stiff letter to head office saying how disappointed you were etc, offering to send it back if they want it but you don't want to throw good money after bad and so on, usually works a treat with cosmetics companies. They might send you a few other samples too.

I have done this a couple of times with foundation when I have had a high pressure sales woman and then got out into natural light and it's the wrong colour. I also tend to write to head office with detailed feedback if a product doesn't work (enclosing the product), eg curling mascara, non-chip nail polish and stay-put lipsticks...

Companies love the feedback, and I love the discount vouchers/replacement products, rather than feeling bad when I open my makeup box and see all this stuff which I bought in good faith but was a complete waste of money.:T
  • Mines is sort of a worst and a best thing together if that makes sense:D

I was 18 and I'd just broken up with the 'love of my life'
    So I went down the bank and took out a 10 grand loan saying I was going to buy a car with it. I didn't buy the car. I went to the travel agents and booked a 2 week holiday for me and my friend (my treat!! :eek:)

Anyway the holiday cost me best part of 4 grand.
    Complete maddness but I did have the BEST time of my life

6 years later I still don't regret it.............but I am upset about how much it cost so that's the part that makes it the 'worst' thing :D
    Future Mrs Gerard Butler :D

[STRIKE]
    Team Wagner
    [/STRIKE] I meant Team Matt......obviously :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business