🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Intented prosecution - Exceed 50mph Motorway temp restriction (Roadworks) -ACD

Options

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    psarinuk wrote: »
    Judas has a friend in Inactive or they are the same person!

I knew when I posted this question that it would divert from its original intention thanks to some idiots on here..

Judas, I am sure idioits like you will one day get the capability to read my post to find out how many points I've acculmulated in the past 15 years, leave alone workmen that I've killed on the road.

The roads were EMPTY!!! with no work going on! I can control a car at 60 on Motorway (I work on cars for a living). I knew I was taking a bit of risk but I thought these were average speed cameras, so I was also slower than 50 at some places to balance off but I don't know how many cameras are between junction 11 and 10, so here I am.

Going by the advice, I will take the "safety awareness program" and give the cost of supporting my family through a tough time.
    Many thanks once again to all those who have contributed (I've ticked the thanks button too)..

I'd go for option 2 as well personally.
    I wouldn't go to court and use that arguement, there's a reason they don't put the pit crew on the racing track.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    But this illustrates why cameras aren't the best way to improve road safety. At that time in the morning him speeding by a relatively small amount on an empty road is not a danger to anyone. The motor way I bet was virtually empty, and no workers around at all.

As a HGV driver with over 1.5 million miles experience, much of it at night (sometimes in excess of 100,000 miles per year) it is AT NIGHT TIME that the workers are mostly out.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    I thought these were average speed cameras, so I was also slower than 50 at some places to balance off ..

When you complete the safety course (don't go in with the attitude you are innocent and don't deserve to be there, or they'll just kick you off the course), see if you can get on a night school course in basic mathematics to help you understand what an "average" is, it could save you a lot of money in future when trying to "balance off" your average speeding!
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hammyman wrote: »
    As a HGV driver with over 1.5 million miles experience, much of it at night (sometimes in excess of 100,000 miles per year) it is AT NIGHT TIME that the workers are mostly out.

From the end of our street, you can see the temporary lights used by the road workers so they work through the night.

I'm shocked the op won't go to court, they are not in the wrong are they?
  • verybigchris
    Options
    BTW, doing 60mph instead of 50mph only saved you 12 seconds per mile. If you're going to race to a hospital, at least put your foot down and do it in style ;)
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    Option 2 and avoid the points, and save on an increased insurance premium, if the magistrates are a little dyspeptic after lunch, and dole out extra points because they can.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Recorded speed is 61mph on the M1 between junctions 11 and 10 (south)
    Oops that looks like SPECS caught you.
    I may have oversped and overlooked a camera at this spot but the circumstances were:
    If it was SPECS you didn't overlook a camera 'cos its average speed over distance rather than spot measurement. So you did an average of 61 mph between 11 and 10. What was you top speed through there as a matter of interest? I agree - you're banged to rights = take Option 2.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you summed it up by saying you took a risk, and it didn't pay off, so the course will be easier than the points, and then the next easiest is stay at the limit when you know cameras are there, the signs are big enough and the cameras obvious enough for most. Oh and for your mate to say most traffic cops would have stopped you and given you a warning, didn't you know they are on commision and promotion only goes to the biggest !!!!!!! or robocop ; )
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    The roads were EMPTY!!! with no work going on! I can control a car at 60 on Motorway
    Road empty - irrelevant. Roadworks with noone around - irrelevant. Car driving ability - irrelevant. Speed limit 50 from 10 to 11, you averaged 61 - thats all that matters.
    I knew I was taking a bit of risk
    So you knew EXACTLY what you were doing.
    but I thought these were average speed cameras, so I was also slower than 50 at some places to balance off but I don't know how many cameras are between junction 11 and 10, so here I am.
    So you knew EXACTLY what you were doing.
    Going by the advice, I will take the "safety awareness program"
    Good plan. Your problem, old son, is that you are full of angst because you got caught and furthermore allowed yourself to get caught doing what you shouldn't. The only one to blame is, in reality, yourself.

Cheers.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • DaveF327
    DaveF327 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's been said before, but I'll add my vote to the masses:

Option 2 is the best bet regarding keeping your licence and record unspoiled.

Options 3 is a massive gamble and I personally feel you would be found guilty and be fined with penalty points. Only take this option if you feel you have a point of principle to prove. It may end up as an expensive humiliation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport