We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Intented prosecution - Exceed 50mph Motorway temp restriction (Roadworks) -ACD

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pwllbwdr wrote: »
    I won't disagree with that. However, a part of that education would include an understanding of the non-intuitive way that speed adds up when considering stopping distances.

Absolutely. A driver should know their stopping distance at all times. I don't mean the rote learning of numbers from the back of the highway code, which probably don't even apply to the car being driven, but they should know the answer to the question "Can you stop before _____" where _____ is any random object or hazard on the road.

One of the basic premises of safe driving is "always be able to stop within the distance that you can see to be clear". If you are on a corner you should be able to stop before the broken down car that's just out of sight behind the hedge. If you are in a residential area you should be able to stop before the back end of that van that you can't see if there is a pedestrian behind.

And yes you need to be aware of your own reaction times or "thinking distance" as the highway code puts it, and leave sufficient margin of error in case something unexpected happens.
  • Shoshannah
    Options
    psarinuk wrote: »
    Shoshannah, it does not take a lot to confuse you?

If I drove through the roadworks at 80, you won't be able to advise me the speed awareness course as I won't be offered one.

Hope this helps!

But you didn't drive at 80mph. You said you drove at an average of 61mph. So you CAN take the course.

So....?
  • Phantom_Flan_Flinger
    Options
    psarinuk wrote: »
    ....but I don't know how many cameras are between junction 11 and 10

Just for info, there are 2 SPECS cameras between J11 and J10 southbound on the M1.
    Dave. :wave:
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PFF - Have you noticed the new cameras between 8 & 9 on the gantries :(
  • Phantom_Flan_Flinger
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    PFF - Have you noticed the new cameras between 8 & 9 on the gantries :(

I know they've installed the camera platforms on some of the gantries between 6 and 10, but hadn't noticed if they'd stuck the cameras on them yet.

Guess I wasn't paying much attention this morning, though i was coming off a nightshift.
    Dave. :wave:
  • optimus_primera
    Options
    A couple of yrs ago, on the tv news, there was an interview with a Chief Constable ( i forget which Police force) it was about speed camera's gatso's SPECs etc etc ..... and this Chief Constable said on camera ....'The thought of car drivers concetrating on their speedo's, rather than being observant to everything all else happening round them, fills me with dread' ........

Speed in itself is not dangerous ( else the Bullit train train would be the deadliest thing on the planet), it is inappropriate speed that is the issue.

Anyway shouldn't we stop calling it speeding, and call it dangerous driving?
    Its going not fast that causes accidents, its dangerous driving.

My personal view is that motorway speed limits should be increased,Drivers have to do a motorway driving test, get rid of speed camera's, put more police in cars on the rd network, and give them their discretion back.
    ˙ʇuıɹdllɐɯs ǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ sʎɐʍlɐ
    ʇsǝnbǝɹ uodn ǝlqɐlıɐʌɐ ƃuıʞlɐʇs
    sǝɯıʇǝɯos pǝɹoq ʎllɐǝɹ ʇǝƃ uɐɔ ı
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of yrs ago, on the tv news, there was an interview with a Chief Constable ( i forget which Police force) it was about speed camera's gatso's SPECs etc etc ..... and this Chief Constable said on camera ....'The thought of car drivers concetrating on their speedo's, rather than being observant to everything all else happening round them, fills me with dread' ........
    That certainly wasn't Richard Brunstrom then!! :D:D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport