🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Intented prosecution - Exceed 50mph Motorway temp restriction (Roadworks) -ACD

Options

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Lum wrote: »
    The OP just didn't balance out their averages correctly, or failed to take into account that you need to average 50 between every pair of cameras.

Actually the OP blatantly broke the speed limit, that was the real issue, not too difficult to comply, even I can manage it.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    First time in my driving history of 15 years have I received something like this and have no idea how to deal with it.

Try accepting you were speeding and be grateful you have been offered a choice between points and a speed awareness course.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Cant stand all the "you did the crime,now pay the fine" posts-so boring....
    If the OP hadn't been quite so intransigent then perhaps he would have got more sympathy and there would have been fewer of these.
    But option 2 is a no brainer,cant believe you even had to ask.
    +1

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    Options
    The OP just didn't balance out their averages correctly, or failed to take into account that you need to average 50 between every pair of cameras.
    Yes and thats why he is angry.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options

This is what I don't understand: the OP says he tried to vary his speed so the average was 50 mph, with his speed at any time being sometimes higher and sometimes lower than the limit. Why did he think this would get him home quicker than just doing 50 mph all the time? An average speed of 50 mph will get you 50 miles in an hour, whether it's constant or wildly varying!

ETA: Unless he thinks average speed check cameras measure your instantaneous speed at each camera, add the results up and divide by the number of cameras. But surely nobody thinks that...?
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Is that camera not to slow people down for people emerging from the village hall? I rarely see these random cameras most are in a place where traffic should slow down.

It varies wildly by area as to whether the cameras are placed for safety or for profit. Compare and contrast, for example, Hertfordshire where the vast majority of cameras are in 30s and 40s with, say, Essex with that fixed gatso on a non-roadworks stretch of the M11.
    casper_g wrote: »
    This is what I don't understand: the OP says he tried to vary his speed so the average was 50 mph, with his speed at any time being sometimes higher and sometimes lower than the limit. Why did he think this would get him home quicker than just doing 50 mph all the time? An average speed of 50 mph will get you 50 miles in an hour, whether it's constant or wildly varying!

Say you are in a one mile long 2-camera SPECS zone that is down to two lanes. For the first half mile you are stuck behind a wide load doing 40mph. Then the wide load turns off, for the remaining half mile you could do 60mph and not get caught, which is quicker than just sticking to the 50 limit.

Otherwise, I have no idea.
    ETA: Unless he thinks average speed check cameras measure your instantaneous speed at each camera, add the results up and divide by the number of cameras. But surely nobody thinks that...?

I am in no doubt that somebody out there is stupid enough to think exactly that.
  • psarinuk
    psarinuk Posts: 352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    casper, I think that is where I got wrong. I was trying to slow down just before the cameras as I sped through the first 1. But I will be sent a pic by Bedfordshire police. If its not instantaneous, then what else would the pic prove apart from it being my car?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    psarinuk wrote: »
    what else would the pic prove apart from it being my car?

The pic is purely to identify the vehicle .. it doesn't have to prove anything else, that is done by the calculation of time/distance.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do the course. No big deal. No points.
    Happy chappy
  • keystone
    Options
    psarinuk wrote: »
    casper, I think that is where I got wrong. I was trying to slow down just before the cameras as I sped through the first 1.
    That seems arithmetically illogical to me. You were clocked at an average speed of 61 mph between 11 and 10. Thats got to be nearly 4 miles. Slowing down just before the second camera installation will do sweet fa to change that 61 average.
    If its not instantaneous, then what else would the pic prove apart from it being my car?
    Its not instantaneous speed measurement at individual points - its average speed measurement between two points. The image will also prove the system read your plate correctly at both camera sites.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport