Hole in double glazed patio door for cat flap.

Options

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you want me to post a photocopy of the invoice?
    If you are in the West Yorks area you can come and see the unit (and the original) for yourself.

I agree with you
    There's spam and there's SPAM
    This one appears to be a legitimate "good guy" ?#
  • Ambronia14
    Options
    Hi I am new to the forum but have been reading this thread with interest. Am hoping to get a dog flap fitted soon for my new puppy - can anyone tell me is there a particular make/type/size of dog flap you can have in a double glazed unit?
  • Babsybaby_2
    Options
    withabix, and anybody else who says this can't be done, or will wreck your unit, THAT IS RUBBISH!

Let me make a few things clear.
    1. The door will have toughened glass in it (Mandatory). Toughened glass CAN NOT BE CUT IN ANY WAY! Once it is toughened that's it. So you can't just cut a whole in it.

2. The unit will NOT cloud up.

Here's how it's done............

You go to a D-G unit supplier with your Cat flap, and tell him the size and thickness of the panel you want. They will cut the shape of the Cat flap out of 2 BRAND NEW pieces of glass. Then the glass is toughened. Then the unit is assembled in the normal way (Aluminium spacer the way round the inside of the unit), and where the hole for the Cat Flap is, we use a bendy space bar called Super Spacer. We then seal the hole with 2 Part Sealant as opposed to the 1 part sealant all around the edge of the unit. How do I know? Because I make 10 of these EVERY WEEK!

£90 is about right.
    Hi William. Next yr am gonna be moving house. The back has patio doors (not wooden one), so am gonna need a catflap fitting please. I know its early but can I please have ur details so I can contact you for a quote nearer the time. If I could have ur e.mail or phone number that would be great. I live in Rochdale, so am guessing you can cover that area. Thanks in advance Babs.
  • trappedkitty
    Options
    Just had Jackson Joinery (jacksonjoinery.co.uk) make me a new toughened dg door unit with a hole for my existing catflap (SureFlap) that I wanted to relocate. I measured the existing unit and told Julian the measurements along with the size and position of the hole and the colour of the spacer. Got a call from Julian a few days later to say that it was ready. A drive across the M62 from Bradford to Salford the next day and Julian personally lifted the new unit into my car! The measurements were absolutely exactly what I had ordered and when I returned home the new unit fitted into the frame perfectly and the hole was exactly the right size and position for the catflap. I could not have asked for more. You can have these guys come to you to measure up and then come again to do the fitting or if you are competent in glass fitting (or know someone who is) they will just make the unit for you as they did for me. Absolutely first class service :)

I've gotta say i think his customer service skill are very poor, i've had no contact from him in a week, despite me saying his quote was fine, and i had no problem paying any call out fee. I asked for someone to come out as soon as possible, but i have the feeling my business wasn't that important.
    I'm still looking for someone in the Liverpool/North west area.
  • martinjp
    martinjp Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 December 2012 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Fortunately I have not parted any money with Colin however this is my story...

I looked up this company as they seemed legit and had decent reviews on their website. Booked an appointment to cut a hole in a single glazed pane of glass in a door for £95.

No one turned up. No phone call to say they were going to be late or couldn't make it. I called four times and no one picked up. I then left an email and it's now been three full business days since the appointment and I've had no reply.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

After seeing these comments on this forum and another, I think i'll take my business else where!!
  • paurina
    Options
    withabix, and anybody else who says this can't be done, or will wreck your unit, THAT IS RUBBISH!

Let me make a few things clear.
    1. The door will have toughened glass in it (Mandatory). Toughened glass CAN NOT BE CUT IN ANY WAY! Once it is toughened that's it. So you can't just cut a whole in it.

2. The unit will NOT cloud up.

Here's how it's done............

You go to a D-G unit supplier with your Cat flap, and tell him the size and thickness of the panel you want. They will cut the shape of the Cat flap out of 2 BRAND NEW pieces of glass. Then the glass is toughened. Then the unit is assembled in the normal way (Aluminium spacer the way round the inside of the unit), and where the hole for the Cat Flap is, we use a bendy space bar called Super Spacer. We then seal the hole with 2 Part Sealant as opposed to the 1 part sealant all around the edge of the unit. How do I know? Because I make 10 of these EVERY WEEK!

£90 is about right.
    I'd like a quote for my patio door please. I live in Hulme, Manchester.
    Many thanks!
  • paurina
    Options
    I recently used Jackson Joinery (jacksonjoinery.co.uk/) to fit a double-glazed unit with appropriate hole in it for a cat flap. They arranged for a measuring and fitting service for me, and I have kept the original unit in case I ever want to replace it. I was very happy with the service, and my cat is ecstatic!
  • George_Michael
    Options
    colindaz wrote: »
    your are talking crap i don't even charge £275 now and my price everything is included except the cat flap

Comments such as that one don't exactly make you or your company appear to be very professional do they?
    However much you feel aggrieved, a cool, calm and polite response is always far better than a personal one such as that which is shown above.
  • ydrol2
    ydrol2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 December 2012 at 7:23PM
    Options
    I'd like a microchip catflap in a patio door. However I know even the good ones can malfunction , so I need one that can easily be replaced should that happen. I guess it needs to have a permanent frame and a replaceable flap unit. Is such a combo possible. I'm in SE London/Kent border.
  • Ligabef
    Options
    We need to put a cat flap into a double glazed back door before our cat drives us mad:eek: with her efforts at opening our outer doors. Does anyone know of a reputable firm/business in the Cambridge / Saffron Walden / Bishop's Stortford area? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure