Hole in double glazed patio door for cat flap.

Options

Comments

• Larissa56
    Options
    withabix, and anybody else who says this can't be done, or will wreck your unit, THAT IS RUBBISH!

Let me make a few things clear.
    1. The door will have toughened glass in it (Mandatory). Toughened glass CAN NOT BE CUT IN ANY WAY! Once it is toughened that's it. So you can't just cut a whole in it.

2. The unit will NOT cloud up.

Here's how it's done............

You go to a D-G unit supplier with your Cat flap, and tell him the size and thickness of the panel you want. They will cut the shape of the Cat flap out of 2 BRAND NEW pieces of glass. Then the glass is toughened. Then the unit is assembled in the normal way (Aluminium spacer the way round the inside of the unit), and where the hole for the Cat Flap is, we use a bendy space bar called Super Spacer. We then seal the hole with 2 Part Sealant as opposed to the 1 part sealant all around the edge of the unit. How do I know? Because I make 10 of these EVERY WEEK!

£90 is about right.

Thank you for this! I live in Chepstow. Would love to use your company. Would you recommend someone, please?
  • fastcastle
    Options
    Hi,

Just moved house with several cats and need a cat flap fitting in double glazed door. Cannot get anyone to fit one. I live in Wirral CH43. Can anyone help or advise, please?

Margaret
  • ninavk2012
    Options
    Sarah. We travel all over the North West. I have mailed you a private message.

Hi can I have your contact details to have cat flap done in conservatory double glazing door? Thanks
  • ninavk2012
    Options
    please send contact details to have this done in stockport area. thanks
    withabix, and anybody else who says this can't be done, or will wreck your unit, THAT IS RUBBISH!

Let me make a few things clear.
    1. The door will have toughened glass in it (Mandatory). Toughened glass CAN NOT BE CUT IN ANY WAY! Once it is toughened that's it. So you can't just cut a whole in it.

2. The unit will NOT cloud up.

Here's how it's done............

You go to a D-G unit supplier with your Cat flap, and tell him the size and thickness of the panel you want. They will cut the shape of the Cat flap out of 2 BRAND NEW pieces of glass. Then the glass is toughened. Then the unit is assembled in the normal way (Aluminium spacer the way round the inside of the unit), and where the hole for the Cat Flap is, we use a bendy space bar called Super Spacer. We then seal the hole with 2 Part Sealant as opposed to the 1 part sealant all around the edge of the unit. How do I know? Because I make 10 of these EVERY WEEK!

£90 is about right.
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    We have done these in new installations in all types doors and windows on one job we even formed a ramp up to kitchen window so the ladies little kitty could climb up complete with grip tape like on skateboards .
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • MissShoes
    MissShoes Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Any ideas about someone who can do this in south east London? Lots of hits on search engine but interested if anyone can recommend someone?

Ta

Shoes
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I had this done in my last house (on borders of SE London/Kent) I used somebody called The Window Man. If I remember rightly he was based somewhere in Medway, Kent.

I also had him to do a couple of repairs to my double glazing, so found him reliable and responded fast to queries.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Just had Jackson Joinery (jacksonjoinery.co.uk) make me a new toughened dg door unit with a hole for my existing catflap (SureFlap) that I wanted to relocate. I measured the existing unit and told Julian the measurements along with the size and position of the hole and the colour of the spacer. Got a call from Julian a few days later to say that it was ready. A drive across the M62 from Bradford to Salford the next day and Julian personally lifted the new unit into my car! The measurements were absolutely exactly what I had ordered and when I returned home the new unit fitted into the frame perfectly and the hole was exactly the right size and position for the catflap. I could not have asked for more. You can have these guys come to you to measure up and then come again to do the fitting or if you are competent in glass fitting (or know someone who is) they will just make the unit for you as they did for me. Absolutely first class service :)
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Spam......
  • Dunroamin wrote: »
    Spam......
    Do you want me to post a photocopy of the invoice?
    If you are in the West Yorks area you can come and see the unit (and the original) for yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure