PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

the takeaway secret

Options

Comments

• sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have always used the Lamb Doner Kebab recipe from the original book, but I see that the recipe in the More Takeaway Secrets book differs slightly and is called Mediterranean Lamb Doner Kebab.

Has anyone who has made both noticed a great difference in the taste?

If there isn't then I shall just continue using the original recipe.

Ta.

;)
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    I love the mediterranean doner kebab from the second book - haven't gone back to the original since we tried it. Loads more flavour in the new recipe (and I thought the first was tasty enough!)

Worth noting that its based on twice as much lamb as the first recipe though. I usually forget, measure out the herbs and spices and then have to decant half of it off because I've only got one pack of lamb mince available!
  • kittycat204
    kittycat204 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Options
    sonastin wrote: »
    I love the mediterranean doner kebab from the second book - haven't gone back to the original since we tried it. Loads more flavour in the new recipe (and I thought the first was tasty enough!)

Personal taste i suppose, I did the one from the second book but liked the one in the first book much more.
    Opinion on everything, knowledge of nothing.
  • auditbabe
    auditbabe Posts: 652 Forumite
    Options
    The flatbreads look lovely auditbabe, were they easy to make?

I didn't make them they are Kevie192's photos which I used as the quote :beer:
    Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
  • molly_malone
    Options
    Sorry, my mistake.
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I have always used the Lamb Doner Kebab recipe from the original book, but I see that the recipe in the More Takeaway Secrets book differs slightly and is called Mediterranean Lamb Doner Kebab.

Has anyone who has made both noticed a great difference in the taste?

If there isn't then I shall just continue using the original recipe.

Ta.

;)

Ok, I made the new version tonight, well both versions as I hate using the oven for such a long time for just one kebab slab.

I halved all of the ingredients as I only used a 400g pack of lamb mince.

Anyway, the main difference I found was the newer version is quite hot, due to the 3/4 of a tsp of paprika (1½ tsp in the recipe).

It is very tasty and the only difference ingredient wise is the addition of ground coriander and paprika.

Def worth trying if you haven't already done so.

;)
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've refined the pan fried donner method by placing a ball of kebab mix between 2 sheets of clingfilm and roll it as you would pastry to about 8mm thick, peel one sheet off and placing face down over frying pan, ease one edge off clingfilm and let it drop into pan. Seems to go further than making loaf and slicing
    I've also discovered if you let it cool in pan after cooking, it reabsorbs the fat and juices (not sure if that's a good thing) :)
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Badrick wrote: »
    I've refined the pan fried donner method by placing a ball of kebab mix between 2 sheets of clingfilm and roll it as you would pastry to about 8mm thick, peel one sheet off and placing face down over frying pan, ease one edge off clingfilm and let it drop into pan. Seems to go further than making loaf and slicing
    I've also discovered if you let it cool in pan after cooking, it reabsorbs the fat and juices (not sure if that's a good thing) :)

The best way to make it stretch further is to leave it in the fridge overnight then use either an electric food slicer or a handheld slicer/mandoline (borner http://www.swisscatalogue.com/swissmar/usa/FMPro?-db=swissmardb&-format=record_detail.htm&-op=eq&SKU=V-4000&-Script=Counter&-find= ) .

We get at least 8 kebabs this way as we add quite a bit of shredded salad and sauces which bulk it out.

See my very short blog which shows how much meat I got from 400g of lamb mince. ;)

http://low-budget-meals.blogspot.co.uk/
  • ClootiesMum
    Options
    Can I ask a really dim question? If I made the lamb donner - we won't use it all a once so can I freeze the rest?
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I ask a really dim question? If I made the lamb donner - we won't use it all a once so can I freeze the rest?
    Yes, I bag it into individual portions and freeze it as I'm the only kebab fan in our household.
    I usually make up a batch of flat breads while I'm at it and freeze those too.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport