PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

the takeaway secret

Options

Comments

• harvestmoon
    Options
    Hi all
    We've had this several times now with Tesco's ordinary lamb mince but having read your comments, looks like they do a value equivalent.
    Although we are having to be careful with money at the minute ( aren't we all!?) DH is quite 'snobby' about food,and before I go throwing good money after bad so to speak, I'd appreciate your advice on which option to go for.
    What's the difference, apart from the price?
    Thanks
  • nibs
    nibs Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2011 at 9:39AM
    Options
    Hi all
    We've had this several times now with Tesco's ordinary lamb mince but having read your comments, looks like they do a value equivalent.
    Although we are having to be careful with money at the minute ( aren't we all!?) DH is quite 'snobby' about food,and before I go throwing good money after bad so to speak, I'd appreciate your advice on which option to go for.
    Thanks

Im also quite fussy about food, but I've used the value mince a few times for this recipe and it really is as nice as everyone says. I think it has more fat in it, but that helps with this recipe.
    If you dont say anything he wont even realise!
  • 2boysmum
    2boysmum Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    We are trying the Mega Burgers this weekend, anyone else made them? For the kebab we just used an electric knife to cut up the meat and managed to slice it quite thin.
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made the mega burger a while back although it was a last min decision so it was bunged together in a hurry and not quite following the instructions. It was really really nice and I'd deff do it again. Wasnt perfect but then I didnt follow the instructions - guess if you did it would be pretty authentic
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    I have one thanks (a Lidl special). I use it a lot for salads.

I'll give it a go with the donner next time but I think it's just too crumbly when hot to make a decent cut.

yes, letting it go cold does make it easier to slice - as gross as it sounds, the fat in the meat sets, so it sticks together better lol

F
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all
    Thanks

i agree with nibs. if he doesnt know, he prob wont even notice that its cheap meat

tbh i never found any cheap meat inedible. the recipes i use mince in, you really cant tell the difference between scrapings (what most people think cheap mince is), and lean steak, once you have added all the spices etc

actually i find lean steak mince texture quite tough, as it doesnt cook down so easily, and stays in the 'worms' and is therefore harder to squish into a kebab sausage shape - perhaps this is why yours falls apart whilst hot, as the meat isnt pureed enough?

F
  • bananagirl85
    Options
    as a lurker on this thread i have decided to get this book ordered it last night...cant wait although i dont eat lamb so donner kebab not for me!
    what other recipes would you recommend
    SAVE SAVE SAVE!!!
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    try the chicken doner, tis perfectly lovely!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our book come yesterday.

Was flicking through it thinking 'MM, Mmm, Mmmmmmmm!'.

Hubby came home, picked it up, flicked through it and did exactly the same lol!!

Deffo gonna have a bash at one of these soon, I fancy trying the lamb donner first :)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • kate_pixie
    Options
    I made the chicken shish last week (I don't like doner meat). They were bloomin lovely!! The greek coleslaw was spot on and the garlic mayo tasted great even though I had no mayo and used greek yoghurt instead.

I have decided not to make my own pitta's next time though as they're too time consuming. It took an hour and a half to create it all from scratch and at that rate I'd rather go to the kebab shop!

Finally a Homeowner 04.10.13 :j

Frugal Living Challenge 2015 £958.70 / £12,000

"So much to do, so much to see. So what's wrong with taking the back streets?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure