PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

the takeaway secret

Options

Comments

• sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sentora wrote: »
    Can I recommend to buying the spices from an asian shop? much cheaper ....

That's if they have them all.

I went into one and he hadn't got a clue when I asked for onion powder or smoked paprika.
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    Try the banana muffins, I am sure you will be impressed by those.

;)

That was the first thing I made and they were the best I've EVER made, according to my neighbour :)

Also made the cookie dough, which went down well at craft class.
    Both got 10/10 on the score/tick pages.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    Options
    Where are people getting lamb mince for £1.59 :eek: Cost me £6 for 2 packs of lamb mince (400g) in tescos :rotfl:

Oh and I never bother buying a cabbage or lettuce, I buy a bag of pre mixed salad, the one with red cabbage and carrot through it, then I just add cucumber,onions and tomato my self :)
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the £1.59 lamb mince is the T value stuff. I cant remember the price exactly but thats what I used first time round but also managed to get 2 packs reduced to £1.25 of the organic stuff one night which I froze. Have run out of donner meat now so wil have to dig some mince out the freezer soon and replenish the stock :)
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Where are people getting lamb mince for £1.59 :eek: Cost me £6 for 2 packs of lamb mince (400g) in tescos :rotfl:

Oh and I never bother buying a cabbage or lettuce, I buy a bag of pre mixed salad, the one with red cabbage and carrot through it, then I just add cucumber,onions and tomato my self :)

It is Tesco value mince but not all stores stock it.

My MIL lives in Anglesey and they don't stock it there, it's mainly Welsh lamb which is good for the farmers but not for the customers as it costs a bomb.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Where are people getting lamb mince for £1.59 :eek: Cost me £6 for 2 packs of lamb mince (400g) in tescos

its the tesco value mince that is £1.59 a pack (£1.30/kg)

i know some people can be a bit funny about value mince, but having tried making the doner with lamb steak that i minced myself (£8/kg) and also the value mince from tesco, i can actually say that the cheap mince gave the best flavour, and most resembled the kebab meat from a takeaway

but even at £3 a pack, you are still being able to make the kebabs alot cheaper than you can buy them for in the takeaway

it takes seconds to shred carrot and cabbage on a mandolin, and seeing as im going to be using it to slice the meat too, it doesnt really add to the workload or washing up

F
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just bought one of the books, £3.95 now. Should have some fun with my daughter trying to make this stuff!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    Options
    Ahhhh that makes sense, thanks! I do my tesco order online and have never seen value mince, I'd try it if they did though, they do do "Value frozen lamb mince" but I draw the line at meat that resembles pellets.....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sentora wrote: »
    Can I recommend to buying the spices from an asian shop? much cheaper ....
    Except where an asian shop is 20-30 miles away and you have to pay for 60 miles' petrol plus car parking fees.... and then probably pay an arm/leg because the shop's so different/unique they charge the earth for everything.

In fact, I've no idea where my nearest would be, so I googled it. There's certainly not one in my town. I just Googled it, closest I can find after 5 minutes of googling is 70 miles return.

Cheaper to buy in a supermarket.
  • mncollyer
    mncollyer Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of the spices can be bought on ebay Here and they do free postage as well.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport