PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

the takeaway secret

Options

Comments

• furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mncollyer wrote: »
    Lots of the spices can be bought on ebay Here and they do free postage as well.

Mark

Thanks mncollyer - That looks a really good site - bookmarked it.
  • soupdragon10
    soupdragon10 Posts: 967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2011 at 1:47AM
    Options
    Only just found this - already ordering a copy on Amazon and it's down to £3.95 at the moment with free delivery so less than the cost of a takeaway.

As I'm miles from the nearest town, take away is usually cold when we get it home anyway, so this will be a godsend.
  • kittykat500
    Options
    2boysmum wrote: »
    We had the Donner Kebab tonight, and it was amazing, exactly the same as kebab shop, especially the red kebab sauce!

The Donner recipe is really good.

I read somewhere that if you place a couple of slices of white bread in the base of the loaf pan, a lot of the grease will get soaked up. I think the recipe tells you to drain it off half way through, but this might be another option?
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The Donner recipe is really good.

I read somewhere that if you place a couple of slices of white bread in the base of the loaf pan, a lot of the grease will get soaked up. I think the recipe tells you to drain it off half way through, but this might be another option?

I cook it on a foil lined baking tray then when I turn it over half way through, I put it on a wire rack so that any remaining fat drains off.

To be honest, even though I use Tesco Value lamb, not a great deal of fat is left in the tray.
  • triticale
    triticale Posts: 771 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the batter for the chicken balls with sweet & sour sauce seems wayyy too much! I reckon what I had left over would do the same again, and then some - and my chicken breast was BIGGER than in the recipe!

I am not usually bothered about wasting normal batter, but it used half a box of cornflour:eek:, all I had left :(

So my advice would be to half the batter recipe, which is what I will be trying next - very soon too, as aside from that the result was fantastic!!! :T

Next on my list to try is the doner kebab for OH, then szechuan chicken and tikka masala. :beer:
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've taken the plunge, bought all the stuff for the Donner Kebab and it's currently cooking away in the oven. Have to say it smells fab, can't wait to get my chops into it :)
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • SEASHELL
    SEASHELL Posts: 337 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    triticale wrote: »
    Hi, don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the batter for the chicken balls with sweet & sour sauce seems wayyy too much! I reckon what I had left over would do the same again, and then some - and my chicken breast was BIGGER than in the recipe!

I am not usually bothered about wasting normal batter, but it used half a box of cornflour:eek:, all I had left :(

So my advice would be to half the batter recipe, which is what I will be trying next - very soon too, as aside from that the result was fantastic!!! :T

I halved the batter recipe on my last batch and there was still too much. They taste great though :j
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    debsy42 wrote: »
    I've taken the plunge, bought all the stuff for the Donner Kebab and it's currently cooking away in the oven. Have to say it smells fab, can't wait to get my chops into it :)
    You really can't go wrong with the donner, can you?

I made it again on Saturday. Still couldn't get it to slice thinly so decided to let it cool as advised in this thread. I got fed up with being asked if it was ready every 5 minutes though so caved in.

My daughter told me today that her boyfriend loved it and asked if we could have it again the next time he comes over.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    You really can't go wrong with the donner, can you?

I made it again on Saturday. Still couldn't get it to slice thinly so decided to let it cool as advised in this thread. I got fed up with being asked if it was ready every 5 minutes though so caved in.

My daughter told me today that her boyfriend loved it and asked if we could have it again the next time he comes over.

you really need a mandolin (V slicer) to get it as thin as they do at the takeaway - they really are worth splashing out on, as you easily make your money back, by making things go further (you'd be surprised how many slices you can get out of a cucumber or tomato, using one)

F
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    flea72 wrote: »
    you really need a mandolin (V slicer) to get it as thin as they do at the takeaway - they really are worth splashing out on, as you easily make your money back, by making things go further (you'd be surprised how many slices you can get out of a cucumber or tomato, using one)

F
    I have one thanks (a Lidl special). I use it a lot for salads.

I'll give it a go with the donner next time but I think it's just too crumbly when hot to make a decent cut.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure