We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

sterling equity hedge fund

Options

Comments

• JayBrun
    JayBrun Posts: 75 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2011 at 1:49PM
    Options
    As a 74 year old novice why ignore all the advice given and the many references to this organisation being a scam.

A return of 12% or similar is high risk - why are you unwilling to recognise this simple fact of life.

Because no-one can prove to you or anyone else that something is false, doesn't make it true.
    It certainly doesn't make it something that you or anyone else would be wise to invest in, unless they want to take a high risk.
    Quite likely a much higher risk than a novice investor might realise.
    JayBrun wrote: »

This thread comes high up on Google.

I hope the rest of us avoid this becoming a slanging match otherwise this thread could be deleted - and we don't want that do we.

Originally posted by Reaper:

..........I see the authorities on Jersey are more explict in spelling out it is a scam here. A couple of extracts:

1. Sterling Equity Corporation has never been registered, nor applied for registration, under the Financial Services Law. Therefore any financial service business, as defined in Article 2 of the Financial Services Law and carried out by Sterling Equity Corporation since 1 July 1999, is in breach of Article 7 of the Financial Services Law; and

2. From documentation held by the Commission, it would appear that Sterling Equity Corporation and the Website display warning signs of being set up for a fraudulent purpose.

The company has been exposed in this thread as a scam in a variety of ways...

Lest we forget.

As for posters not using their real name that is not unusual - I rarely use my real name on Forums - nothing sinister in that - normally - no pun intended.
    If you find that concept insulting then so be it.
    ...no insults because i can assure you you will not like the result.
    I trust you didn't find any of the above insulting.
    Simply trying to offer advice which others, if not yourself, may find useful.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i am just a 74 year old novice seeking information

Time to act your age then.

You have been warned that this is a scam. Yet you seem intent on either promoting this company (which is fine because the more posts on this thread, the higher it will move up on google and help others avoid being ripped off) or you want to be ripped off. Just send them the money and kiss goodbye to it if it will make you happy.

Your intent on wanting to use a scam company is why the posters feel you are up to no good because no sensible person would do so.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,710 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 March 2011 at 2:41PM
    Options
    JayBrun wrote: »
    As a 74 year old novice why ignore all the advice given and the many references to this organisation being a scam.

A return of 12% or similar is high risk - why are you unwilling to recognise this simple fact of life.

As for posters not using their real name that is not unusual - I rarely use my real name on Forums - nothing sinister in that - normally - no pun intended.
    If you find that concept insulting then so be it.

I trust you didn't find any of the above insulting.
    Simply trying to offer advice which others, if not yourself, may find useful.

Following threats to my family and business as a result of my work exposing scam model agencies I also do not use my real name online. However I am a real person and am happy to disclose my real identity to any of the regular posters on this forum via PM if anyone needs convincing I exist.

Norman, sorry if you actually are a real person, however unlikely that may be. You must understand that your actions on this thread are highly suspicious and do not show any indication of this being the case.

1) Anyone who considers an investment of their hard earned savings into a scam outfit and is informed of the fact before doing so would normally be extremely appreciatative of the assistance they were given in avoiding being defrauded. Instead you ignore all advice.

2) You are aware that there are other options for investing your money and have been given some options by me and others yet you have made no effort to investigate them or ask additional questions. You even state you can get a return of 55% elsewhere but would appear to prefer the 12% claimed by Sterling Equity hedge fund scam.

3) No matter what anyone here, the FSA or Jersey tell you, you seem doggedly to continue to want to throw your money away. No normal person would consider wasting their hard earned savings in the way you appear to want to do. Why do you continue to ask if it is a con when everyone knows the answer?

The net result of these three questions is why. The conclusion everyone has come to is that you are working for Sterling Equity hedge fund scam which would appear to be a reasonable assumption given your posts.

If you are real, what area of the UK are you in and maybe one of us that is nearby could meet you to find out more?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    I give up.

How many more times do we need to prove to this guy that it is a scam. The FSA say it's a scam. Jersey says it's a scam. Common sense, says it's a scam.

It's EVEN been proved beyond doubt that the photographs on their websites are from a photo library. And yet norman continues to plug it.

What else does one have to do?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    bendix wrote: »

What else does one have to do?

euthanasia
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • normansands
    normansands Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2011 at 8:02PM
    Options
    Dear All,

thank you for all sensible posts, many of you talk of information and advice which you give with certainty and conviction without any back up other than circumstantial.

I am still seeking that back up.

I give here what I received from Jersey...........

Dear Mr Sands
    I can add little other than what is contained in the Commission's public statement and draw your attention to the following wording within the statement,
    1. Sterling Equity Corporation has never been registered, nor applied for registration, under the Financial Services Law. Therefore any financial service business, as defined in Article 2 of the Financial Services Law and carried out by Sterling Equity Corporation since 1 July 1999, is in breach of Article 7 of the Financial Services Law; and
    2. From documentation held by the Commission, it would appear that Sterling Equity Corporation and the Website display warning signs of being set up for a fraudulent purpose.
    The City of London Police website contains a great deal of general advice in relation to telephone sales of shares, the website address is http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/CityPolice/Departments/ECD/Fraud/boilerroom.htm

I would urge you to carefully consider the information contained on the City of London Police website and seek professional advice BEFORE even considering investing any funds.

Yours sincerely

Barry Faudemer

Director, Enforcement
    Jersey Financial Services Commission
    Tel: + 44 (0) 1534 822137
    Fax: + 44 (0) 1534 822001
    Regulatory Misconduct Whistleblowing Line
    Tel +44 (0) 01534 - 887557
    Confidential - Anonymous - Untraceable

I have followed the link which warns of boiler room scams which I am aware of.

No one seems to be able to give any information from America where the company seems to be securely based or Spain where it has Euro offices in Santander.

Let there be no doubt that if this company is bogus then I am keener than any of you to see it exposed.

To date no one has exposed it but if anyone has information that they do not wish to post publicly then I can be met in Herne Bay in Kent.

Now I look forward again to sensible and proven comment.

Regards

Norman
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 March 2011 at 9:46PM
    Options
    No one seems to be able to give any information from America where the company seems to be securely based
    There is a Sterling Equities in the US; they have had the misfortune of being connected with Bernard Madoff...story here.

And some more from the NY Times.

And a bit more here.

Doesn't look too promising, normansands.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 March 2011 at 11:50PM
    Options
    There is a Sterling Equities in the US; they have had the misfortune of being connected with Bernard Madoff
    Actually this is a different one. Scammers often use similar names to existing companies. The one I believe Norman is fixated with is "Sterling Equity Corporation"
    No one seems to be able to give any information from America where the company seems to be securely based
    Yawn. This is getting dull now. We have proved it is a scam but you are still wriggling. OK I'll play along, let's look at America as you ask. Being a supposedly large financial company there should certainly be filings with the SEC. The supposed details are shown on the scammer web page here:
    Registered Address.
    3411 Silverside Road
    Rodney Building
    STE. 104
    Wilmington
    New Castle
    Delaware 19810
    Company Registration No. 090786813
    File No. 4721424
    So take those details and head over to the SEC Company Search, which turns up precisely nothing.

So I wonder who does work from that address in Suite 104? A quick search finds a Wastewater sensor company:
    http://wastewater-level.com/
    Sewage. How apt.

P.S. Loads of obscure companies seem to quote exactly the same address. It seems to be some sort of agency shell for companies too small to run their own office (and of course scammers wanting to be able to quote an address without the need to have any connection to it).
  • normansands
    Options
    Stirling Equities seems to be a different company working? in real estate but please keep searching.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Now I look forward again to sensible and proven comment.

Just invest with them and lose your money...please.

It has been said a number of times that they have no authorisation to transact in the UK. That is a clear fact. You are in the UK. They want to transact with you. So, they are acting unlawfully. What else do you need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport